Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about tail docking.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Akai-Chan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Please move this if it;s in the wrong section :)

What I'm wondering is why people have their dogs tails docked? I know that it's for working reasons but why? How does it help? Also how do vets go about docking tails?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

PS - I am not here to start an argument. I am here only for factual answers to a question, not for people to throw their opinions of whether it is right or wrong at eachother. I do not own a dog, I do not think tail docking is right, i just want to know the answer to my question.

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It's illegal in the UK now, except for genuine working dogs with proof.

But sadly, there are loopholes, such as importing dogs from southern Ireland where it's still legal, or even taking litters of puppies over to Ireland to get them done!

3. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Yeah I've heard about loopholes like that which is sad :( It's like people who keep skunks and get them descented in southern Ireland then take them to northern island and fly them over so they don't have to go through quarantine >_<

Peace
    Akai-Chan

4. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

im pretty sure its so their tail doesnt get in the way, especialy with exitable breeds that wag their tails, im not sure of the entire story -

cassies tail was docked when we got her:eek:

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I think you can get them de-scented here... there are a few skunk breeders around now. The gorgeous skunk I met a few years ago definitely was from the UK... he was really lovely.

Anyway back to dogs - some breeds used as guards traditionally had tails docked (and cropped ears too in many countries) so that criminals/burglars etc couldn't get a hold of the dog... at least that's what I've always read.

Many gundogs have partially docked tails - this seems to be causing a few problems now they have full tails, with tail injuries, etc.

Some livestock guarding breeds also had docked tails & ears - I saw one of the earliest Anatolian Shepherd Dogs imported to the UK, she had cropped ears & tail, and for the exhibition wore a traditional iron spiked collar - all designed to protect the dog from wolves.

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

It's illegal to get skunks descented now, most people who have them descented either have them from ireland or they've been imported from america. I think the descenting law was only bought in relatively recently though :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

It is legal for working breeds ive hd 3 springers 2 at the moment our first one was docked our eldest isnt the youngest 12months is.

It has to be done before the pups are either 3 days or five not sure and the breeder has to prove they are from working stock, and has to provide the vet with relevent documents to back it up. Shooting licences etc.

I agree with certain breeds such as the springer i have seen springers with tails broken a ripped and believe me it isnt nice, i dont like to think of pups going through docking but compared with what they go through if they are unfortunate to this sort of damage its nothing in comparison.

8. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

What would cause that sort of damage though is what i'm wondering? How do they get injured like that?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

9. haeveymolly

When a springer is working they flush out from the undergrowth, they run through brambles and , as they work their tails are constantly on the go i dont work mine so arnt really up on all this, but its very easy to break and rip the tails, even though i dont work mine they go in fields woods and they do actually as far as they are concerned "work" and harvey has come out trailing half the brambles with him and has had cuts nothing serious.

If i can just add to the legalities of docking the new owner has to be given by the breeder the docking papers from the vet, they then by law have to be microchipped with the number of the microchip and the number from the docking paper marrying to the pup, this will be so the papers arnt transferable i would imagine.

10. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Ah fair enough. In the future I want to go out with my uncle and his working dogs (possibly with my own dog when I get it) and I want to know what would be best for it. Though I do hate the idea of tail docking >_<

Peace
    Akai-Chan

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Aha thankyou for that link :) I've browsed it quickly and will read it over thoroughly when i'm less tired.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

12. haeveymolly

You would like it its great to see them working, you would like a springer ime sure;)

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I was recommended a terrier, but I'd personally like to get a lurcher, something that will be good with ferrets and not try to eat my other animals :p

It won;t be for a long while yet either way. I just want to learn things early :p

Peace
    Akai-Chan

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ahhhh........ most lurchers + small furries (any sort) = don't go. Even ferrets! The best dogs to go with small animals are the herding types - instinct may be to chase, but not to kill, plus they are very trainable.

I do love lurchers and sighthounds though - check out LurcherLink, they have so many in rescue and do a great job!

15. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Really? I thought that if lurchers were used to ferrets from a young age they're ok and it was terriers I had to avoid? Do border collies count as herding types? I'd need a dog that would chase and catch, if I can train a herding dog to do that I'll happily go with one. I've always wanted a border collie

Peace
    Akai-Chan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice