Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about my new kitten!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by EroyalB, Apr 29, 2017.

1. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

So, my girlfriend and I are getting a British Shorthair kitten from a breeder. Yes, I know we are buying from a breeder, but we couldn't find any British Shorthairs local to us to adopt. Anyway, the British Shorthair that we reserved was born on the 4th of April 2017, and we received a picture of him a few days after his birth, he looked adorable! About 10 days later we received an updated picture of him and his beautiful eyes were open!

Now, the reason for creating this forum. We received a few pictures of our kitten a couple days ago and my girlfriend and I were concerned that it may not be the same kitten as the previous pictures. If you take a look and compare the photo of him laying down and the most recent photos we were sent they look different. The shading of the kitten looks different as well as the marking on his forehead. The one laying down has white marking while the most recent photos he as an "M" on his forehead indicating he's a tabby.

If you guys could take a look at the photos below and give your opinion on whether or not you think it is the same kitten throughout all the photos we would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond! I wish the best to you and to your cats :).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Hopefully the more knowledgable users will be here soon.

Hopefully @catcoonz or @huckybuck could help :)

Hope you get some answers :)

3. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

Thank you very much :)

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

What a beautiful kitten.
    Kittens do change as they grow bigger and markings fade/come out more.

I think it is the same kitten. Do wait for other answers though.

@QOTN @spotty cats (more experienced than me, so i tagged).

cheekyscrip likes this.
  5. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

Thank you very much, I appreciate the response :)

catcoonz likes this.
  6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Hope the breeder does the relevant health tests for the breed and you have seen the certificates. (had to mention that).
    Your kitten will be registered etc??

Tigermoon likes this.
  7. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I think it's the same kitten. Grey / blue hair can look different in different colour lights (my boy looks like his paws are silver sometimes but they are the same colour as his body). There seems to be a slight stripyness to him in the early pics too.
    I'm not one of the knowledgeable ones though!!! Looks like a beautiful kitten to me.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  8. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

I hope so too, she hasn't been the greatest at communicating with us. We will be taking him straight to the vet upon receiving him though. What do you mean by certificates?

9. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

Thank you for saying that, i think he's very handsome as well :). I do hope he keeps his beautiful pure blue coat though.

Ringypie likes this.
  10. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Certificates showing what health tests parents have had, there a range that really are a must to ensure kittens are healthy and wont suffer some common and nasty illnesses that can effect BSHs.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  11. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

The breeder has ensured us that both parents are perfectly healthy, but I'll be sure to ask for proof via the certificates. Thanks!

12. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I am no expert, the BSH slaves will help you, I think it's the same kitten and what a gorgeous chunky monkey he is :D

These breeders should give you all the correct paperwork as any good pedigree breeder will know, not just word of mouth!

Can you check the breeders are known to the BSH society, that will give you peace of mind.

I think he is lovely. Keep us posted

Welcome to the forum too :D

13. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

Haha thank you very much and I will!

14. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Nothing wrong with buying from a breeder so long as they are a good one, who has all the relevant tests done. PKD is something I believe British should be tested for, and possibly HCM but I'm sure a British breeder be along and be able to confirm at some point.

'Ghosting' as its called is very common on kittens. As the kitten grows and its colour develops the ghost tabby markings disappear. It is also quite common for kittens for have paler fur on their nose/forehead area, again this will disappear as they grow.

He looks really cute.

15. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

Thank you very much for the response, I really appreciate it! Gosh, everyone is so nice here :)

Ceiling Kitty likes this.
  16. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I forgot to say welcome!! How rude of me:( you'll get so much help from everyone in this forum so don't hesitate to ask! :)

17. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Have you seen the Mum and Dad of the Kitten? Also ask to see if the kitten will be chipped and vaccinated.
    We have 3 British and one is a Tabby but all 3 have an M on their foreheads.
    I would say that the pictures are of the same kitten as they do quickly alter in the first few weeks.
    My main concern would be that the kitten is healthy.
    I think most breeders are registered with GCCF. See if they are.
    I would also want to see a report from the vet to make sure that the kitten has had a health check.
    Breeder should give you a booklet with the vaccination recordings on it.
    I know this sounds like I don't trust many people but buying a pedigree cat is expensive. I would say average price for a British is £500 - £600. My last one was 4 years ago so prices might have gone up since then as well. so you want to make sure everything is correct and that your kitten has a healthy start in life.
    Also will the Kitten have a months insurance. This is very important. If not please insure at least for the first year.
    I know to my cost how expensive vet fees are.

Here's a picture of two of mine with M on their foreheads.

Attached Files:

18. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

I have seen the Mom and Dad, they both appear to be healthy and both have pure blue coats. Do you know if this means the kitten will also have a solid blue coat, or is there still a chance for him to be tabby? The kitten will be vaccinated and my girlfriend and I will chip him once we get him.

My main concern is also the health of the kitten, of course. I checked the GCCF, but my breeder is located in Philadelphia and this site doesn’t seem to have breeders from the U.S. As far as I know she hasn’t brought the kitten to the vet, unfortunately, but she says the parents have been checked and are healthy. Of course, we plan to bring him to the vet ourselves as soon as we get him, and she is offering a couple week to bring him back if there are any major issues. Also, I read that the price of a British Shorthair can range from $800 to $1500, I hope we aren’t overpaying D: . Fortunately, my girlfriend works at a vets office, so we get a substantial discount on all pet care, so he will only receive the best care!

Oh, and your cats are freakin adorable.. thanks for sharing, and thank you for all of the input, I truly appreciate it!

Here’s a link to the breeder website: http://www.maksbritishcats.com/

jill3 likes this.
  19. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Didn't realise you were in the US, is your kitten going to be properly registered is what we are trying to establish?

CFA or TICA I think are the US equivalents of our uk GCCF

It's a indication that your breeders are doing things by the official rules but not a guarantee by any means, you still need to asking the right questions about parent health testing

For a kitten to be pedigree it has to be registered and if not then no guarantee that it is what they say it is

20. EroyalB

EroyalB PetForums Junior

I just checked, they are registered through TICA

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice