Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about green oat hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hel_79, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Hel_79

Hel_79 PetForums Senior

I get through bags of green oat hay - it's Buddy's absolute favourite. I've been wondering recently how it compares to other hays in terms of nutrition, etc.

Buddy has a selection of hays - I tend to feed a mixture of meadow, timothy and oat hay with grass/herbal hays at intervals during the week. But he's just nuts about the green oat hay and always devours it first, meaning he's eating much more of it than any other hay.

I wonder if it's because it may be sweeter, or because he really likes the texture. But is this a problem, or does it not really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Obviously his hay needs to be unlimited....just wondering whether I should restrict the green oat to encourage him to munch the other hays or if it really matters...!

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Oat hay is actually quite high in calories.
    It is great hay for cattle and horses but should only be fed in small quantities for bunnies.

Oat hay is the McDonalds of the hay world :blink:

3. Hel_79

Hel_79 PetForums Senior

OOPS!!!

OK, I was starting to suspect as much.

That definitely explains a few things. No wonder he loves it so much!

Right, cutting back starting today....

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

mine love it too, I havent got any at the mo but when I do have some in, they normally get a small handful a day between 2

5. Hel_79

Hel_79 PetForums Senior

This has prompted me to revise Buddy's overall feeding plan, so it's been pretty helpful. I wanted to be sure I wasn't overfeeding the less-nutritious items or treats. I also want to ensure that Hubbie is never in any doubt of what/how much to feed if he's on feeding duty (which is more often than usual at the moment, since I'm teaching evening classes).

So I've drawn up a feeding rota and stuck it in the shed, and labelled all the hays (Hubbie: "They all look the same to me!":rolleyes:). Anal? Yep! But I don't care! :p

6. zowie

zowie PetForums Member

I get mine a packet of dandelion and green oat hay,it's their favourite but they just get a handful between the four of them once a week,I thought it must be unhealthy because they almost take my hand off when I'm getting it out the bag!! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice