Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about...erm...poo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AOTN1984, Sep 30, 2013.

1. AOTN1984

AOTN1984 PetForums Junior

Our pup, Tess, is almost three months old and has been with us for just over two weeks. She is settling in really well and, after a few days of pure hell, will finally go to sleep at night (albeit after ten minutes or so of barking).

The people we bought her from were not feeding her at regular times. Instead, they left out a pile of biscuits that all dogs could help themselves to throughout the day. They were also feeding her adult biscuits. Needless to say, we have changed this!

She is now getting two meals of puppy food each day. We are doing two meals as that's what seems to work best for her.

She will normally wee within ten minutes of eating. Pooing, however, is not as easy to predict. Last night, for example, she was fed at 6.30pm. By the time we went to bed at 11.30pm she still had not been and was showing no signs of needing to go. She ended up waking us at 3am to be let out. This isn't unusual for her - hours and hours between food and poop and there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Daytimes are exactly the same. Fed at 6.30am - can ake hours to poop. I usually work from home so I am here to watch her. Some days, however, I need to go into the office in the morning. I don't want to encourage her to poo inside or to put her in the position where she needs to go in her 'den' but it's really hard when her bowels seem to be a law into themselves!

One time she does seem to poo - each and every time - is when she is left alone. This morning, for example, I took her outside. Nothing. Came in and left her downstairs while I went upstairs for less than two minutes. Came back to a little present. took her outside again and then cleaned up the mess. Realised we were out of kitchen towel so I went to our garage to get some more. I have to go out of the house to do this. Again, away for less than a minute. Came back, another poo.

I know everybody says dogs don't poo inside out of spite but this does seem suspicious to me! ;)

Just wondering if other people's puppies are more 'regular' when it comes to pooing?

When we are here she is very good at telling one of us if she needs to go out.

Foodwise - she has James Wellbeloved turkey and rice puppy kibble (previous owners were feeding her the adult version of this). We mix it with some NatureDiet meat as this encourages her to eat it in one sitting, rather than picking at her biscuits like she used to. Treats - she has some puppy milk bones and some meaty treats. We don't give her many at all as she is more motivated by fuss and cuddles. Her absolute favourite treat is raw carrot. Also great as it keeps her occupied! Her poos are always solid (although not so solid that we worry about her being constipated - they're normal).

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Puppies need 4 small meals per day Do not leave kibble down for her to pick at . Burns mini bites is very good for puppies too.
    If she was being fed adult food and it was left down for her to pick at it may sound hard to pick the food up if she has not eaten it all but that's what you need to do.
    Puppies have small stomach's so that's why 4 small meals per day is what they should have
    Puppies don't poo for spite because you leave them for a few moments they just don't think like that at all.

3. clayton1985

clayton1985 PetForums VIP

At only 3 months old she really should still be being fed 3-4 times a day, otherwise she will be eating quite alot of food in one go for such a little tummy. Just make sure your still treating when she goes to the toilet outside, if she poo's outside make sure its extra special an some extra play straight after, sounds like your over half way there. Just make sure you reinforce the behaviour you want from her with treats or play an you will crack it no time.

4. AOTN1984

We did initially try three smaller meals a day. She would finish her morning and evening one but would barely touch the lunchtime one. We spoke to the vet and she suggested doing to two a day. I've always fed my pups three times a day at this age but, as everyone keeps telling me, no two pups are the same!

She gets loads of fuss for going outside and, as I said before, is so good at telling us when she needs to be out. Just wish we could break the 'every time they leave me I am going to poop' habit! I know she isn't doing it out of spite really, though it does sometimes feel like it! Lol

We are back to the vets this afternoon for the second jab. I'm going to speak to the vet again about it all.

As I said before, everything else is going really well. She will now sit, lie down and give a paw on command. She will come when we say - not every time but we are working on it! She will also stay for up to twenty seconds (it's a start!).

She is currently nibbling on my shoe, which is still on my foot. Everytime I say "no" she sits and gives a paw and then carries on again. Daft puppy!

5. shirleystarr

Just as a matter of interest what type of dog is she?

6. AOTN1984

Hi Shirleystarr,

She is a Boston Terrier with a bit of Jack Russell in her. Definitely more like a Boston in looks but has a lot of JR mannerisms. She is lovely, she really is. Can be a handful at times but I would not change her for the world!

She has spent the last ten minutes chasing her shadow and the birds around the garden. Came in the back door and fell asleep on the mat, bless her.

I know that terriers have their little stubborn streaks and we definitely see a few of those in her! She is such an affectionate dog, though. And, when she gets her own way, she is good as gold! ;)

7. AOTN1984

Just back from the vets. Car journeys - still not keen on them, ended up being sick all over me (nice). Vets surgery - like them as we get biscuits and cuddles and get to meet other dogs. Injection - barely noticed it. Worming tablet - liked that a lot, gave another paw but didn't get a second (strange dog!).

The vet said that the fact that she poos hours after eating isn't the norm but, as long as it is normal for her, it's OK. Full health check. She has a small umbilical hernia, which we already knew about. We have to watch it but the vet didn't think that it would cause any problems and will sort it when we have Tess spayed next year. Weight is all good. Everything else is as it should be. Ten days until we can start taking her out. Cannot wait!

We need to do a bit more work on car journeys as she really isn't keen on them. still early days though and we will get there :) The main thing is that she is happy and healthy!

x

8. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Sounds like all's good!

With regard to car journeys, Bess was sick a few times at first. When you can take her out do very short journeys to somewhere exciting for her. That way she'll associate the car with something good and shouldn't be stressed about it.

Bess regularly spends 5 to 7 hours travelling now and loves it.

9. AOTN1984

Once we are able to start taking her out then we will be doing lots of short trips to somewhere nice. Before today we have been on a few trips - to the pet shop where she gets a treat, or to the mother-in-laws just round the corner (Tess loves it as she gets lots of fuss and new places to explore. I, however, am not so keen!).

The vets is a ten/fifteen minute drive from my house. We hadn't quite worked to that before today. She was, however, a lot better than the last time we went that far.

Some of the noises from other cars seem to spook her and I am sure that this is what's causing a lot of the problems. She will, with time, get more used to them and I am hoping that she will learn to love the car. Until I am sure that she won't be sick, pee or poo, though, I am going to continue taking my husband's car! ;)

10. shirleystarr

What Causes Dog Motion Sickness?

Dog motion sickness is more commonly seen in puppies and young dogs than in older dogs, just as carsickness afflicts more children than adults. The reason for this is because the ear structures used for balance aren’t fully developed in puppies. This isn’t to say that all dogs will outgrow travel sickness, though many will.

If the first few car rides of your dog’s life left him nauseated, he may have been conditioned to equate travel with vomiting, even after his ears have fully matured. Stress can also add to travel sickness, so if your dog has only ever ridden in the car to go to the vet, he may literally worry himself sick on the road.

maybe try some ginger they say that works

11. eiretzu

eiretzu PetForums Member

Just wondering if she is crate trained. If she is maybe you could pop her in the crate for those times when you are popping upstairs or to the garage. They don't usually soil in their crate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice