Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

a question about changing to adult food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok so my vet gave us a food chart when we went for Mika's first visit and it says at 9 months dogs should go onto adult food.

Should we do this?

And also as he's 8 months now how soon do you think we should introduce adult food to him

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

its up to yourself really. if you think he has grown to the size he is going to be and is filled out enough then yes you could put him onto the adult food.

however if you want him to put on some more weight (i know you were wondering this the other day) then i would keep him on the puppy food for the time being.

the vet thing is just a guideline, go with your own instincts :)

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i agree with ducky

Puppy is better to get some weight on him unless you can get a highish protien adult food (i think its protein that helps them grow)

My boys are 8.5months and we are indroducing adult food next week as ours are big enough body and weight wise and puppy costs a fortune lol

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was wondering about this too. I think it recommends 6 months to change over. This is the first pup I have ever fed puppy food to so I know they do fine on adult food! but she is small, eats very little and is quite skinny. Trouble is she isnt really liking her dried food so it is a struggle to get it into her.

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Blitz i have the same prob with Mika......i am hoping its a puppy thing and that he'll eat more as he gets older.....

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

It really depends on the food they are on currently, mine are on orijen puppy so ill be satying with this until hes about 18 months before changing:)

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

All mine have gone onto adult food at 6 months

8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

My last puppy went onto adult food at 3 months. She grew far bigger than my other girl. I had to diet a bit of weight off her towards the end of her first year.

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My little chihuahua's were on puppy dry food until they were 10 months old, then I switched to Bakers small bite and they love it, they were on Royal Cannine for puppies.
    They can be fussy sometimes so we alternate every 4 months or so, between two makes, and they are doing well, glossy coat etc. I got my older dog on small bite now as his gums are not as good as they used to be. old age setting in now. xxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice