Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about cat litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Nicolajane, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Nicolajane

Nicolajane PetForums Member

For those of you who haven't read my other post I'm brand new to cat owning so I may require the advice of you more experienced folk a few times.

I have two cats a boy of one and a girl of 14 weeks.

I'm currently using wood pellet but I really do not like the smell of it. I've tried the non-clumping catsan but every time either of them went in the tray (I've got a covered one with a flap) they brought loads of it out with them and I was finding it all over the house.

I'm a bit wary about what to try as I read somewhere that clumping litter can be bad for kittens in case they actually swallow some when they are grooming themselves.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to cat world! Do you have a rubber mat outside the litter tray? I found it really cuts down the mess x

3. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am also a new cat owner at 49 :D

I was given some litter when I adopted her in December, so I don't know what it is. I am using Worlds Best clumping letter with an open box and although a little gets flicked over the side when she jumps out (I bought a hand vax to clean up) and there is the odd piece around the house I haven't noticed any sticking to Cookies fur.

I bought one of the half moon rubber mats from P@H which she just jumps over, so not really worth it but probably give the box a little purchase on the kitchen floor.

4. Nicolajane

I've not tried a mat, I will do though.

I've never found litter on my kitten's fur either and I've noticed that some clumping litter states it can be used with kittens.

I like the idea of clumping because I can get both the number twos and ones out then.

5. ella

ella PetForums VIP

I had one of the P@H mats too, and it wasnt used, now I just use an indoor mat (the JML type ones that are absorbent and washable) and Bibi uses it because it is soft - I think the rubber mats are a bit unforgiving - especially if you have some litter between your furry toes.:D

I still have a bit of tracking, but it's not too bad

6. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I use Nature Gold for our kittens and have rubber mats - it's clumping and the pellets are larger so no sticking to their fur. It's clumping as well :)

I used to use Catsan, so I know what you mean about finding annoying white bits everywhere! We also had to change the entire litter twice a week as due to the fact we couldn't take out number ones and they didn't like it and started using sofa instead :eek:

7. Nicolajane

Where do I buy nature gold P@H?

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well well well, look what the cat dragged in: a green prickly fruit! Hope you are well hun!

9. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I get mine from Zooplus: Cat's Best Nature Gold: Great Deals on Cat's Best Cat litter at zooplus

I fill three litter boxes and haven't had to do a complete change for the last month :D

Catsan is better at odour control (as in there wasn't any!) but it's nothing a bit of Febreeze can't fix :)

Lots of people on PF are fans of Oko plus as well (also on Zooplus and I saw some at P@H), but have said there's a lot of tracking.

10. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Online at zooplus/petplanet/pet supermarket etc. Its worth looking at the online sites for bulk ordering food and litter (plus flea/worm tablets) , oh and toys:). I have a few different online shop accounts and order using the best deal at the time....

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Nature Gold is perfect

It's pellets, so doesn't tend to get stuck in furr or track very far at all, even if you don't have a mat outside the tray. It clumps, but because it's made of natural material, if they eat it, it doesn't harm them as it passes right through rather than sticking in their guts like clay does.

Zooplus sells it, but often the bags arrive damaged. I bought my last lot from the Pet Food Warehouse. I don't know whether it's because it hadn't come through the post or whether it was because it was better handled so not bashed around, but I found that this stuff didn't get dusty half as quick, and as a result, it lasts much longer. I find it fine for covering odours, although nothing is going to be as good as Catsan, and my cats are fed a good food so their poos don't actually reek.

I'd really recommend giving it a go though.

12. Nicolajane

I've just ordered 20lt.

I'm only changing the wood pellets once a week while getting the poo out daily but not having to change it for even longer because I can remove everything sounds great!

Can the clumps be flushed away?

13. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Apparently they can be flushed - they are quite large though and I'm too nervous about blocking the toilet! Lots of people do though :)

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Yes they can. Some can be a bit on the big side but I just chop these in half, in the tray, and then put down the loo as normal.

I then do a couple of 'empty flushes' to ensure everything moves along the pipes nicely. :)

15. Nicolajane

I currently bag up number twos in nappy bags. The magic number is 4 i.e. that's the number of bags you need to put around it to stop it making the bin smell.

I think I'll just carry on doing that. It's less than 50p in Asda for 300 nappy bags.

16. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I think the worry with clumping litter being eaten is really to do with clay based litter which can become clogged in their digestive system and cause a complete blockage. Even if they don't eat it, it can be ingested when they clean their paws or rear ends.

We used to use the crystals which would scatter and crunch underfoot if you missed any when the floor was swept, then I read about the dangers of silica, so we changed to Oko Plus which is very good :smile5:

It lasts ages, is flushable, but does still track, so moved on to the Nature Gold pellets. It doesn't seem to last as long as the Oko Plus but there is less tracking and it is easy to sweep up. If they bother to cover their poo, it is quite good at smell absorption.

Also flushable, just maybe don't put too much down the toilet in one go. The clumps seem to be bigger than the Oko plus but I think that's because it is pellets rather than bits.

If you have a problem with odour, I use a Neutrodol spray, just a little squirt into the air, not near the trays. It eats the smell, rather than masks it like air fresheners and I think is better for the health of the cats.

17. porps

porps Swollen Member

having tried catsan last week i have to say that it is just not worth the extra cash. Supermaket value brands are just as good for half the price.
    Havent tried nature gold but i'm loathe to spend 9quid on something thats just gonna get crapped and wee'd on. I go through 3 8ltre bags of tesco clumping every fortnight, it costs 6quid in total... With natures gold that would be 27quid! I swear some people must have more money than sense.

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The Natures Gold barely sticks at all to poop so it can be flushed away just as easily as human poop.

I put everything down the loo and, as long as you are sensible and don't overload your toilet, you should have no problems. That is assuming you are connected to the main drains and don't have a sceptic tank of course. I have four cats and two large trays. I empty 3 times a day and have to do 3 flushes each time to dispose of everything. I do not, however, have a water meter so can get away with this. :)

19. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I think it's less a question of sense and more a question of what does and doesn't work for people's and their cat's requirements.

20. Nicolajane

I've only got the one tray and two cats. I empty the tray at least twice a day so I think flushing could be good consider in what you have said. Especially since I have a downstairs loo.

The only thing that bothers me is having a dirty scoop knocking about the place but I suppose a squirt with anti-bac and a wipe with some kitchen roll each time isn't exactly difficult.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice