Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A puppy and a rescue dog all within the month!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by daisy34, Jun 20, 2010.

1. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Hello everyone,
    I posted last week about the new addition to the family Saffie-the-staffie pup.
    Well we have decided over the weekend that we could just not let our latest foster mac go!
    Weve had Mac the Patterdale terrier for about 11 weeks now, he was in a mess when he first came to us as he had been used for rabbit hunting/badger baiting and a badger had made rather a mess of him, he had a fractured leg and a few open wounds that needed treatment.
    We crate rested Mac for a few weeks and he was a complete gentleman whilst limited, when we finally got to take him out for walks again he greeted the other dogs in a really friendly manner which has chilled Benji our other male dog out (Benji can be very grumpy and has needed alot of training to help with his anti-social dog greetings!)
    Mac treats the puppy with all the gentle love and respect anyone could ask for, she bounces on him, nips him, throws herself at him, bites, chews and generally torments Mac whenever she feels like playing, yet mac is so gentle and never declines her playful invites!
    He has learnt recall, sit, wait, and no with almost no practice and is a gorgeous loyal funny addition to our family!
    Here is our new addition with the other two ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

AWWW absolutey:thumbup: gorgeous dogs you got there

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww happy ever after :)

4. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

awww happy ending!

and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Patterdale :thumbup:

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

lovely doglets!!!!

6. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Thanks so much, we really feel that our little pack is complete!
    Patterdale lover! I love that you obviously love Patterdales too!
    I remember a few months ago when we were out playing around a dog pond on a walk that there were 2 men (strangers to each other) chatting about how wonderful their Patterdales were, they were just SO into them and chatting for ages, and I remember thinking ''gosh Ive heard this from a few Patterdale owners, they must be really special!''
    Well, I completely 'get it' now weve had a Patterdale, he has such a personality, and is the best behaved dog ive ever had the pleasure of looking after, but he has his cheeky moments too! they seem to be real charmers and just such a pleasure to have around!
    :thumbup:

7. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

It's so nice to know that Mac has got a good permanent home. By the sound of it he has had a rough time and deserves it.

Youve got some lovely dogs there :)

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

They're all so different and all sooo cute:)

9. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Thats it in a nutshell :thumbup: Never a boring day with these lil cheeky chappies

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

What a wonderful story!

WOW!

Well done you, the pack looks great!

x x x x

11. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Thanks so much, a funny little pack but they fit so well. Just shows how terriers can come in SO Many shapes and sizes, will be interesting to see how they all look when Saffie is grown!
    GoodVic, I love the photo of your lovely 4 on the rug, looks as though I still have room for another in the future maybe ;)

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

How lovely to see a happy ending for Mac :)

My rescue Fell Terrier, Ruby was also used for badger baiting, but she was already half blind when whatever scum last had her put her to it and it made REAL mess of her - swipe marks all over her body, no fur on top of her head, her lower jaw was ripped open....he left her with her injuries for 3 weeks until one of his friends found a conscience and dumped her at the vets. They look a right state after dealing with a badger don't they :(

and also....your Mac is the spitting image of my other dog, Tiger who's also a Patterdale :D

13. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

awwww, how lovely :) i love Saffie xx

14. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I filled out a rescue form over the weekend for a smaller, local shelter, saying that I would like to be considered in 6 months time for another dog.

Might not hear anything back from it, but thought it was worth a shot. I'd love another dog eventually, but won't get another pup. I'd like to give another one a home.

There's a gorgeous one on the re-homing forum. Fox Terrier x!

15. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Its so shocking to think that these little ones have had to get up that close and personal to badger sets. I had never heard of this before and it really did shock me!
    Like your Ruby, Mac was in a real mess, im amazed that dogs survive this type of injury, Mac still has loads of little patches where the fur hasnt quite grown back and its a reminder of what he has been through and survived. It broke my heart to hear that he was then just dumped and managed to drag himself somewhere to be found as a stray! Such a lovely little dog used then just thrown away when in need himself. :mad:
    Hes a top boy though and nothing in life phases him, thank goodness.

16. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Is that mactarn?? I'm glad you kept him as he seemed so happy with you :D:thumbup:

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yeah it's horrid what people do to them isn't it :(

Don't worry about Mac's fur - Ruby was a real mess when we first got her but it's all grown back and she really was down to the skin in some areas.. i'll find some 'then and now' pics!

First 4 are 'then'...the last one is 'now' :)

Attached Files:

18. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Oh thank you so much for sharing!!
    Ruby is just lovely, the name really does suit her too! Its really good to see the before and after pictures, poor little lamb she really went through it didnt she? but its amazing what some tlc and time can do! she looks so wonderful, it amazes me how rescue dogs can look so different given time!

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

You're welcome :)

Yeah she's really been through a lot, when we first got her you literally couldn't move your arm without her running away or just standing there and wetting herself but now she's the complete opposite - anyone comes in the house and she comes pottering down the stairs to say hello and find out what all the fuss is about, she's a completely different dog!

Mac is gorgeous, he looks to have a really nice thick coat on him and I bet he's having a whale of a time with the pup lol :)

20. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

Yours and Ruby's story is wonderful, and rescue at its very very best, Its so sad when dogs are terrified of everything due to past experiences, then so incredibly rewarding to watch the little changes, and before you realise there have been huge changes! Its an amazing gift to feel that you have really made a difference to a dogs life.

Mac is just incredibly with the Puppy, Its been my first experience of owning a puppy and I was worried about how the boys would be around her, but Mac is being the perfect brother to her! Even if she launches herself at him when hes asleep he just looks up and joins in as if to say ''ok, play time again'' he is incredibly gentle with her and having them both together is perfect for each others needs and the puppies learning process.
    My resident dog Benji on the other hand is just hoping the puppy will soon pack her bags and go! Mac has won Benji over which amazed us as Benji is like a grumpy old man!! The only time he will play is if the other two will chase him with a toy in his mouth! He never lets them get it just likes being chased! Im hoping that with the nice mix of the 3 dogs that Benji will eventually be more accepting of the others, right now he just tries to keep out of their way except when playing chase, although when I take them out the boys run together and its amazing to see them having fun! and Mac is so friendly with other dogs that it seems to be teaching Benji that its ok to approach other dogs without barking in their face!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice