Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A present

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kaz, Jan 22, 2008.

1. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

This morning our lab puppy came back into the house with a present for us. A warm but dead mole:eek:
    I can't imagine that the lab caught it, more likely the terriers but I can't imagine why they let her carry the trophy. Normall it's finders keepers:rolleyes:

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hee hee lol:D:D he loves you so much he brought you a pressie awwwwww bless him:)

3. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

lol what a lovely prezzie :)

4. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

He was being thoughtful......... Lol .......:D

5. Brainless

Brainless Guest

I am sure you know of course :D but just for readers who might not.

If your dog brings you a present like this do not tell him off or jump up and down screaming, always praise him well and then dispose of said offering.

I learnt this lesson with one of mine years ago.

If you make a fuss next time they will not bring it to you ans will probably gobble it up. It could be poisoned.

My Tula caught the budgie when she was five months old (naughty child let the birdy out of it's cage), of course she ran around screeching at the pup who ran and hid behind sofa and killed poor bird.

After that when on walks the first time she brought me a prize (dead sparrow) I praised and swapped it for a treat.

After that she brought me, empty birds nests, unhurt fledglings, mice, and anything dead she found including a water rat, yuk :D

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

HEHE some peoples dogs bring the most strangest of things :D

mine bought me in a slowworm once, it was alive and very cute, thats about the only living thing i can think of mine ever bringing in at summertime.

They play with the baby birds but never kill them :), Mine and my mums old girls rescued a baby bird once, It had fallen thro the ruth and landed behind airbrick, They kept digging and digging at airbrick and not getting nowhere, so i looked and see the lil birdy :D i raised him for 1 half weeks then gave him to rspca.

All of mine bring their toys most of all for me to throw for them ta catch lol.

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

nice pressie you got
    same with mine but sometime's they do bury them
    if they get a rabbit of squirrel the ferret get it then so it dont go to waste.

8. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

LOL:D She had a lovely fuss made of her and she retrieved it and dropped it into my hand :eek: I've never handled a mole before and it was certainly a beautiful texture. At least it was fresh and not like the rotted mice that she has been bringing in :rolleyes:

9. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

Interestingly, moles are one thing our terriers will NOT eat. They will dig it up and kill it then leave it totally alone. Anything else like shrews/mice are gulped down 'in one'. Rats are killed and pulled apart yet a rabbit is deemed a prize posession and our terriers are known to 'stack them up' by the side of the barn and come back to them for a chomp later!

I wonder if moles exude some nasty niff or something :confused:

10. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

The dogs were going frantic this morning into some brambles by the side of the kennels and they flushed out one of my OH's prize winning chickens that had tried to go broody there:eek: Luckily it flew back over the fence into the farmyard or she would have been breakfast for the terriers:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice