Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A potentially silly question...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LittleMissSee, Aug 3, 2009.

1. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

Hello,

At the risk of sounding stupid, I thought I'd be brave and ask a question to you all. If you think it's a silly question, then simply don't answer!

Anyway, I am going to pick up 2 puppies in 2 weeks time, and my question is what do you bring them home in? In the sense of do you put them in a carrier or cage in the back for the journey, or have them on your knee (clearly I won't be driving!). It's a fairly long drive (2 hours) and the puppies are pug sized cross breeds. (Well they're pug mixes, but I know the general consensus of that, so will refer to them as cross breeds!)

I have been wondering about this, but felt it a bit of an "obvious" question to some?!

Thanks

2. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

to be honest , for safety sake , i would put them in a little carrier and perhaps have it on the back seat and you sit next to them so you can reassure them:) just a quick question, are the both from the same litter?

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would put them in a crate not hold them if there was a crash they're better in the carrier. Put them in there with some puppy pads or something and the blanket from mum and they'll be fine probably just sleep the whole way.
    And don't worry there are no stupid questions everyone has been through the same thing

4. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies. In answer to your question, they are brother and sister.

I was thinking of using a carrier. Good idea with the puppy pads too, thanks.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes, you definately need to have them in something secure.

Tempting as it is to have them on your lap, if the car was to brake suddenly they could be seriously injured.

Whatever carrier you get, make sure its firmly secured in the car. A proper dog cage would be a good investment.

6. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

thank you for the answer, i am not going to go into the bad side of getting 2 puppies together but pugs are very stubborn and quite hard to toilet train when you have one, you are going to have one hell of a job trying to train the two of them, i am not putting you down but just wanted you to know that you do have a lot of hard work in front of you;) what made you get a brother and sister from the same litter? i wouldnt personally sell 2 litter mates as it is a very hard job and obviously they would have to be spayed/neutered as soon as they reach the age but i do hope you enjoy your little pups:)

7. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

sorry to hijack , how long are puppys okay to travel in cars for? as some places are quite far away like 1 hour.

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You can have them in the car for a few hours but as you can't put them down outside unvaccinated and everything you put them on absorbant pads and just drive right through.

9. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

good luck with your new arrivals, a carrier is a good idea and sit on the back seat with them don't put the carrier in the boot.

I would not advise getting 2 pups at the same time and especially not 2 from the same litter. You will have a lot of hard work with toilet training, walking them, as they will need to be walked seperately to train them. There is the big issue as they get older that they will probably fight, one trying to dominate the other etc. no responsible breeder usually sells 2 together.

I would reconsider getting 2 and perhaps having 1 puppy and they in possible 18monhts -2years get another if thats what you want.

good luck with what you decide:)

10. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I'm going to go against the tide here...

We have always put new pups in the crate and have found that it takes them longer to get used to the car (IE, being sick in the car). With Alfie, we decided to try something different. I sat on the back seat with him and he was absolutely fine. He even went to sleep!

Yes, it is defanately more dangerous than being in the crate, but depending on how far you will be travelling, I would prefer to risk the 10% chance of a crash than the 75% chance of the pup being sick.

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Can I just ask - why two puppies at the same time ?

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Two puppies at once will be a lot of work. We had an 8 month old and a 2 month old at the same time which was hard enough. Two 8 week old puppies is going to be tough.

13. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We brought our pug puppy home just over two weeks ago and had a long trip (3 hours). She was sat in her carrier with a blanket underneath. We just drove without stopping and she was absolutely fine.

What are your puppies crossed with and what colour are they? :)

14. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I agree.

No reputable breeder would sell someone two puppies, and I think that needs addressing here.

Lots of hard work to follow, when people take on two puppies at the same time, they often find that they can't train the dogs etc etc as the puppies are more interested in each other, so I would think lots of problems ahead here.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Please dont let this turn into a huge debate/attack over whether or not someone should have 2 puppies. I dont agree with it, but the OP has done it, and is now seeking advice.

Her decison wont affect anyone but herself. Yes, shes going to have a hell of a time, but is IS do able, as ive witnessed myself when someone got 3 lab pups and successfully trained them as gundogs.

If she is prepared to put in the hard work, and accept that its going to be a very long road, then thats her choice.

16. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

I disagree .... There are reputable breeders selling 2 puppies but of course they look into if the new owners are capable and have the time to handle two at the same.

Also give the OP a chance to answer if she was aware of the effort needed to bring up two :)

17. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Not trying to attack her or anything just saying that it is going to be hard work but it is doable obviously.

18. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

We are here to help people.....remember that!...

Guinevere13 likes this.
  19. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It's not an attack at all, it was a straightforward question - I never actually said it couldn't be done, I just hope the OP knows what they are letting themselves in for as it's going to be a far from easy ride. I could say more, but I'll leave it there and refrain from posting any further on this thread.

20. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i dont think anyone was attacking anyone, but pugs are very,very stubborn and was just telling the op that it was a lot of hard work involved trying to train 2 puppies at the same time just in case the breeder hadnt thought to mention it to her:rolleyes: i do hope you enjoy your new babies, pugs are stubborn ,yes, but very very loving as well ( sorry i dont know what your little ones are crossed with):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice