UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Was at the vets last week for Amy's 1 year check up and boosters and she is very healthy. She had her first season at the end of April and we were very careful about taking her out. We have a very secure yard with brick walls and a concrete floor.

Anyway, my wife asked me last night if I had noticed that her teats were getting bigger. She also says that she thinks that there are milk glands under the teats.

Does this teat thing happen as a female dog matures, (sorry i don't like the proper word :) ) or could there have been a canine immaculate conception? Surely if she was pregnant the vet would have said something, wouldn't he?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
she could be having a phantom pregnancy. they can look exactly like a pregnant bitch, even having contractions but its just hormones. spaying her will stop it happening.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Most bitches have swelling of the nipples and vulva when in season and after sometimes even producing milk. My vet always tells me I have to let them have their first season then he will spay them!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's a relief. We were unsure about when to spay beacuse I have always had male dogs. It was the advice on here that made me wait until after the first season. Amy is our first girl and keeping boys away during her first season was my lifes work.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well that's a relief. We were unsure about when to spay beacuse I have always had male dogs. It was the advice on here that made me wait until after the first season. Amy is our first girl and keeping boys away during her first season was my lifes work.
Tell me about it :) I think bitches are harder to control during their season than keeping the dogs away though. Especially the second week!!! I use doggies knickers. They can go to poo but not wee so you need a few pairs just incase :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.