Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A newbie needing advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kathryn Davey, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Kathryn Davey

Kathryn Davey PetForums Newbie

Hey guys,

We are soon to be getting a Patterjack next week. It's a rescue puppy of 4.5 months old. When we get him he will have had first set of injections (just). We live in an apartment and I'm trying to establish the toilet training as we have a communal garden, but understanding we cant take him out there until 2and lot of jabs. Anyone with advice as to what we should do regarding toilet training. He isnt trained atm. Tia

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF :)

Perhaps a mod could move this to the dog section? @SusieRainbow

A patterjack in an apartment sounds a little like a disaster waiting to happen to be honest! What made you choose this combination of breeds? Is the puppy from a rescue in the uk?

Usually it wouldn’t be a good idea to take a puppy into a communal garden until after it’s fully vaccinated, but I think given the age of this puppy it’s probably not a huge issue - it’s probably better to get going with toilet training and getting the puppy out into the world than the slim risk of an older puppy picking up one of the diseases that are vaccinated for. Are there lots of other dogs in the communal garden or lots of wildlife that visit?

3. Kathryn Davey

Yes, he is from a rescue centre and he hasnt had any injections yet. He will be having them next week before we collect him.
    My daughter fell in love with him, we have had a Jack russell before and my partner had a patterdale terrier so we thought a good mix. I'm keen to know why you feel a disaster waiting to happen? I'm open for all advice tbh so please feel free to comment openly

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Patterdales tend to be really busy, really energetic tough little dogs - they're basically a handful and need a job, they may otherwise get themselves in to trouble with their terrier-ness

Jack Russells can also be similar - both breeds also tend to be a bit vocal... your neighbours may not love you for that.

I have a dog in a flat - communal gardens. Took her down to them from day 1 - you need to weigh up the pros and cons. For me not many other dogs used it at the time, it was more important to me to get her toilet trained and used to going out than the tiny risk of her picking up anything nasty.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Kathryn Davey

Oh and yes it's a large communal area open to all wildlife including foxes, badgers, hedgehogs and other dogs

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As @ShibaPup says, Patterdales are much more working dogs than pet dogs, and JRTs can also be very ‘worky’. A Patterdale can do ok in a pet home, but I imagine it will be hard work, especially in an apartment and especially once the pup hits adolescence.

Definitely think about how you’re going to meet the needs of these breeds in terms of exercise (not too much while the pup is still young), mental stimulation, and training (which never ends, especially with a terrier). Identify safe places to walk/play/train where your dog can let off some steam without being at risk - recall might not be this dog’s strong point! Terriers, and working terriers especially, can be reactive and not great with other dogs, and it’s not in a terrier’s nature to back down, so early POSITIVE experiences with other dogs will help, but quality over quantity. Definitely get into a good training class ASAP.

Most importantly, stick around here! There are some people on this forum with decades of dog experience and there’s bound to be someone who can help with whatever you need some advice with :)

Sarah H, Happy Paws2, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  7. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I have had my Patterdale for nearly 10 years now (he was 1 when he came to us as a rescue).

When he young he was an absolute nightmare when out as he would chase anything small and furry (squirrels, rabbits, cats) and once he was running after one it was incredibly difficult to get him back.

Luckily he was very dog friendly so we enrolled in Flyball, the best decision I ever made for him as he seriously loved tennis balls so jumping over jumps to get one was heaven for him. It also really improved his recall (as that is part of flyball to get the dog to come back over the jumps with the ball).

This translated well on walks as all he wanted to do them was chase his ball and bring it back to me. He still occasionally tried to chase squirrels but it became less and less. We do still have to be careful about neighbourhood cats so he is not allowed near the front door when it is open just in case one is walking past.

He has been an awesome house dog, not barky/ yappy unless he hears something in the garden and he is very cuddly, loves snuggling up on a lap (and loves being under his blankie on a cold night).

Yes, he has been a challenge but if you can do something like agility, flyball etc when the pup is old enough that will satisfy its “working” traits - they do need to do something.

Also work hard with puppy on normal training (sit, lay down, give paw) anything to keep the mind active and interested. Learn other things you can teach puppy and you will have a happy fun dog.

Good luck :)

6765021C-1530-4F9A-928A-F7C685D554DB.jpeg 6765021C-1530-4F9A-928A-F7C685D554DB.jpeg

Attached Files:

margy, Sarah H, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would suggest you toss up whether the risk to health or the difficulty of house training is more important. Personally the puppy would be out in the garden being house trained from day 1. I would also ask the rescue why he has not already had his first vaccination and if they can do it immediately so you do not have so long to wait till his second one. At that age the first one should pretty much cover him so I would not be too worried but I would be concerned as to the reason why he has not already had it.

I would agree with the others that you might be taking on a challenge with that crossbreed.

Torin. likes this.
  9. Kathryn Davey

Blitz yes I agree. Basically the rescue centre only got them last week. The guy wasnt able to sell them and the rescue centre was approached. They dont usually take dogs but the owner at the rescue place was scared that the puppies would be dumped (4 boys) so took them. The plan was that the puppy would be flea'd, wormed and first set of jabs done before comes to us.

Blitz likes this.
  10. Kathryn Davey

We have carefully considered all your comments and think this dog is probably not the best breed to have for us. We have appreciated all your comments and honesty. Its places like this that are so useful. Thanks all. Back to drawing board now

SusieRainbow, moomoowawa and Blitz like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Well done for listening. You might have ended up with the best dog ever but more likely you would have felt very challenged and had a frustrated family and a frustrated dog. If you like terriers then a border terrier or an older jack russel with a known temperament might be a better bet but all terriers are quite busy and need a garden to explore as well as walks. Rescues should be coming up with a lot of nice Christmas pups that have been discarded so you might be able to get the right dog. Staffies abound in rescues and they make lovely pets. The only problem being if you are in block of flats with communal gardens there can be problems with the perception of the breed so it might make you unpopular. So much to consider in your situation. If you want any ideas on breeds that might be suitable come back and start another thread giving more details on your working hours, time available for walking, training classes, desire to take up a dog sport etc and I am sure you will get some ideas even if it is only to guide you on a walk round a rescue centre.

12. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Fair play to you. I'm really impressed by your thoughtfulness. Please keep us updated on the new addition to your family when s/he finally arrives!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice