Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A newbie need advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HayleyD, Aug 18, 2009.

1. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and after some advice please! :)

I have 2 female does who are 2 years old and in May we brought a buck (felt sorry for him in the garden centre :eek:).

Anyway, I was told that the does were too told to have babies as after the age of 15 months if they haven't bred before then they will have too much fat around their ovaries and won't be able to have kits. WRONG!! On Saturday I noticed 4 kits in the hutch with the does. :eek:

I established who the mum was and removed the other doe. (The buck has always lived in a seperate hutch but I used to let them all out together).

Thankfully mum seems to be doing a great job and the kits seem fine, BUT....

1) Because I didn't know she was pregnant she has been around the buck for her entire pregnancy and now I am so worried that she may have a new litter whilst her current litter are still very young

2) Now I have been told that having a litter at such an 'old' age could've killed her and I am panicing like mad.

At the moment she seems fine, even more affectionate than before. I'd be gutted if anything were to happen to her.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
    Hayley.

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

This has to be a joke.... who on earth told you that?????? :eek:

She could well be in kit again and your other doe :( Keep the buck well away from them. If you want them to all play together once the kits are off the mum then they all need to be neutered and bonded properly. The does should be neutered anyway, 80% unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus.

Petshops and garden centres at notoriously bad for giving advise, so many of them have no idea what they are talking about. What are your plans for the kits? They have to stay with mum until they are 8 weeks old.

3. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

I am not sure yet. I have mentioned it to some friends and people at work so hopefully I will be able to re-home them. If not then I'll have to get new hutches and runs and they'll stay with me.

Are there any health risks with associated with her having her first litter at 2 years old?

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

The health risk of having kits after 1 years old is that the pelvis fuses together and can stop large kits being borne which could've killed her.

Your other doe is probably pregnant too. If ur female bun has been in contact with the male since giving birth she is most likely pregnant too.

Make sure u feed the mum loads of food, but good quality hay is the most important.

What type of breed are they? this can effect the age the kits could be sold.

You really will need to get them all "done" to live happily and healthy once the babies are gone.

If you are struggling for space/time your local rescue centre should be able to help.

Hope this is helpful anymore questions please ask :)

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

best bet is once the kits are older to take them and mum all in for a health check

6. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

Neither doe has been in contact with the buck since Saturday, but I understand that the doe that has just had her 1st litter could be pregnant again and could have another litter within the next few weeks? If that is the case what do I do with the 1st littler? Won't they be too young to be seperated from their mum? The other doe is probably pregnant too, I will keep my eye on her.

They are mini lops.

7. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

I meant to say.... I was told that due to the fat deposits around the ovaries no egg would be released and that no sperm would 'get through' anyway. I was NEVER told that their pelvis' would fuse and that they could die trying to give birth. As they have been together since May and we haven't had any kits until now I took that to be true :blushing:

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Hayley, dont worry about it mistakes happen and u just have to learn from them.
    Its strange how they have only just given birth maybe the male or the females was much younger than you were told or infertile. I would take them all for a vet check up.

If the male and female was in the hutch or run after the babies were born even if it was just an hour (rampant rabbit) then 28days from then there are likely to be more bunnies. If he has not been near her since poping then there is no chance this can happen.

If however this was the case, by 4 weeks/28 days the bunnies will be nibbling on solid food, although its cruel to normally ween them off mum this young, you will have to do it as she will start pulling their fur out to make a new nest and could even kill them. The best bet would be to move them at 3 and half + weeks, feed them hay and solid food, do not give them any veg until they are at least 12 weeks which you need to do slowly or the new owners will (this is really important as it can bloat them and kill them, their digestion is very fragile) you should also not change their food this young.

for tips on how to re home them etc, it would be worth having a look at some of the breeders websites who use this forum, they will have loads of info on the legal requirements u have to find GOOD new homes (scary hey). I'm sure they will be along soon enough and will be able to offer you loads of advice and nice supportive info.

also we would all love to see some photos of ur rabbits and the bunnies when they are older.

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

also it might be worth checking the babies are feeding they will have big round tummies with a white band on them (where the milk shows through their skin). Mum is unlikely to feed infront of you tho so you will need to pick them up, and make sure your hands smell of mum.
    Also some breeders may say its not worth the risk of doing this with a new doe? so i'd read up on it first?

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hayley have look at the sticky at the top for new rabbit owners, be a good idea to educate the people that take on your buns, perhaps a care sheet, there are lots of breeders around on here that im sure will help. If you need help later down the line with finding homes for these little ones there are rescues around that im sure would assist you.

As for the doe I cant say I know much about breeding at all! One of my buns that was suposed to be a male when i was very little had a litter thats all the experience i have, cant really remember much! Toddy, Nonnie, Bellabunnylops etc will give you good advice ontop of what emzy has kindly already given.

11. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

I never knew that about the white band, should I leave it until tomorrrow morning?

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Rabbits have two uterus' so it is actually possible for them to have one lot of kits and another lot a few days or week later. It means they can carry two completely separate unrelated litters at once. This is very stressful on a rabbit though.

13. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Kammie - BLOODY HELL!!! unlucky buns.

I think baby rabbits can survive a few days without milk but cant remember have a good search on google? Rabbits are normally fantastic mums, so you should be ok, but it might be worth checking. Also if u find one of the kits in the middle of the hutch u need to put it back in the nest or it will get cold and die

14. frags

frags PetForums VIP

emzy mine have never had a white band :D just thought id add that just incase the poster dont see it and panics ;)
    it is a high chance mum will be preg again if she was around the buck after she had the litter.
    when this happens alot of the time mum will turn on 1 of the litters as she can feel threatend best thing to do is if she builds another nest remove the 1st litter and try to feed them a milk you can get from vets (cant remember the name) they should be fine at this age as they should have started to wean to solids that mum is eating.

mistakes happen so dont beat yourself up over it just try and do the best for mum and kits.
    i do think a trip to the vets is in order tho, good luck x

15. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Cimicat, Esbiliac or Lactol would be the subsitute milk the 4 week old bubs would need if the situation arises.

16. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

thats frags - ur are so lucky being a bunny mummy

17. HayleyD

HayleyD PetForums Member

Hi, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all of you for your help. :thumbsup:

Latest update -
    Mum is doing a great job by the looks of it :) She has become alot more affectionate and licks my hands all over when I have touched the kits!
    The kits look good, they are beginning to get their fur now and it looks like we have 2 grey and 2 black! There is a couple of things that I am concerned about though:

1) On two seperate occassions I have noticed that there is one kit that is seperate from the others (once it was in a different section on the nest so I moved it back with the others, and once it wasn't feeding and the others were). I am not sure if it is the same kit though but I will keep my eye on that one.

2) Also, one of the kits is alot 'fatter' than the others, could this one be being overfed?

I never did noticed a whit band on their tummies but after Frags posted I wasn't concerned about that. They are definately gorwing that's for sure! I will try and post some piccies soon if I work out how to do it!

Hayley. x

18. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i had a kit that kept moving from the nest at an early age, i kept putting it back and all was fine.
    there's usually always 1 thats greedier than the others and gets fatter lol so no worries there either.

sounds like there coming on great!!

cant wait to see pics :D i need to update my kits pics but going to wait til im home from holiday so they will be alot bigger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice