Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A new start

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 12, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

I apologise to everyone publicly and bow out and admit defeat as talking with the parents it may be best to get a lower energy dog

I'm sorry to have been rude and ask for a second chance off the foum members.

we are now considering Other breeds and if you could recomend a breed you thinks right for us , i will take everything without responding negatively.

if you dont want to give me advice or simply dont want to speak to me its all taken in consideration

were interested in all ideas

if any one could tell us about KCC and beagles if they are any good.

thankyou

#1 emilylp, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I'm not sure as i have never owned one. But i think Beagles can't be let off lead as they are difficult with recall? :confused:

3. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

yeh iv ejust being reading about beagels, some take along time to get used to recall , they seem good in al other departments tho

ps: just read that there not high energy level dogs.
    thanks

#3 emilylp, Aug 12, 2009
  4. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

6. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

just looking them up :)

thanks

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Beagle's can be very hard to train, they need a lot of time dedicated to that. My neighbour had one and within weeks she wanted to sell her. I had her over to see if could cope but i couldn't not with my boy who also has issues!!

The puppy wasn't trained and was very unruly. But it is easy to let the traning slip and then the bad behaviour can start.

However, Rainbow, was a sweetie and very beautiful. It didn't take me long to teach her 'lay' etc and by then she could left a little while and was good. Here is a picture of her when she was at mine:

Attached Files:

#7 Acacia86, Aug 12, 2009
  8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

What about a whippet? I read that they are not high energy (am I wrong?)

x

9. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

yeh, been reading they can be stubborn learning , but were willing to be training i t alot as its one of ou rmost important goals

have read ther ealot less demanding excercise wise ect ect.

10. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hi Emily
    I think it very much depends what you want out of a dog but at the end of the day they all need time, patience, training, exercise and of course love!
    If its a family pet Labs, cocker spaniels and retrievers are very popular - but make sure all have the relevant health tests!
    Beagles are very hard work because of their nose lol!So woudnt recommend as a first pet.
    Also westies, chihuahuas and yorkies are popular to - but dont be fooled by the small things - they have very big personalites and require just as much exercise and training as labs and bigger breeds do!Good luck in your search - may also be worth checking out your local rescue centre - they often have very young dogs and occasionally puppies needing homes to.;)

11. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

Whippets or maybe even greyhounds are your best bet as Poison Girl as said. They will need as much training/attention as all other dogs when pups obviously, but energy-wise apparently a couple 20-30 min sprints a day and they are happy to curl up on the sofa. My friend breeds them and says they are extremely lazy ;):D

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Good luck in your search - im sure youll find one thats right for you soon :D

13. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Cavvies are fantastic wee dogs, they love everyone. The ones I know do suffer from separation anxiety a bit if left alone for to long. if you want a dog for loads of cuddles then they are for you, if they are to be left for any great length of time then they might not be what your looking for.

Terri

14. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

have been looking them and grey hounds up , they are in the top 10 lazyest breeds(greyhounds)

but we dont realy like the look of them

xx

15. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

were looking up beagles now and getting some research into them , they seem good for us :)

any tips?

xx

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hmm.. when I got my first own dog, I got a 10 month old mongrel. She was so sweet :)

What about asking at rescues, they often have puppies, recently my local rescue had two litters of puppies!

x

17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Id say they would be suitable - I know a couple and they seem pretty content with short or long walks. You need to look at the mum and dad though - have a look how they act, are they stroppy, energetic, lazy, submissive, dominant, aggressive?. Dont plump for the first breeder you go to - have a look at their pedigrees and health tests - hip scores are pretty usual nowadays, and it at least gives you an idea that they are a responsible breeder :)

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don' think beagles make a good first dog... here are a couple of things I found
    x

19. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Start practising ur recall hehe :Dxx
    Have seena few basset hounds recently they are fab looking dogs with their ears!
    Make sure you research the problems they are prone to - but please whatever you get -Get it insured!

20. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

That doesn't sound like a positive to me :confused: Did your neighbour just not try or was it due to her inexperience?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice