UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. We have just welcomed a little buck bunny into our home. He is 18 months old and from a family run rabbit rescue. He was there as he was used for breeding previously and the breeder gave up and handed their bunnies in. He is lovely, looking forward to handling him once settled :) Anyway...I have a few questions;

1) Should we get him neutered?
2) When vaccinating, should we go for the singles or combo vaccinations?
3) I am giving him pellets and hay plus broccoli and carrot (this is what I'd given my previous bunnies) but what other fruit and veg is ok to give him?

Thank you :D

Some pictures as requested;

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Hiya, welcome and congrats on the new bunny :)

1) Yes I would recommend getting him neutered, they have a horrible habit of spraying when they arn't and are harder to litter train. I would also recommend looking into getting him a wife when he is neutered as they are very sociable animals and they are so much happier when they have company :) I am surprised a rescue allowed a single bun to be rehomed, its unusual.

2) This one is up for debate, mine have had the combi and I like the idea because it is just the one trip and not 3 trips. The problems being are that the combi is new and that there is some questioning about effectiveness of the VHD, which my vet said they have sorted but some still arn't sure.

3) If you take a look at the top of the rabbit section there is a "sticky" about whats safe for them to eat, just introduce everything slowly and a couple of days apart so you know if any are causing upsets :)

4) We need to see pictures!!!
*Heidi*

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Hello. We have just welcomed a little buck bunny into our home. He is 18 months old and from a family run rabbit rescue. He was there as he was used for breeding previously and the breeder gave up and handed their bunnies in. He is lovely, looking forward to handling him once settled :) Anyway...I have a few questions;

1) Should we get him neutered?
2) When vaccinating, should we go for the singles or combo vaccinations?
3) I am giving him pellets and hay plus broccoli and carrot (this is what I'd given my previous bunnies) but what other fruit and veg is ok to give him?

Thank you :D
I agree with everything Heidi's said-

1) Neutering is always preferable, to prevent certain cancers, as well as unpleasant habits. Plus, it can't be nice for them to live a life where they've got sex on the brain all the time. I know Flix was like this before being neutered! :eek:

2) I personally have had the combined vaccination for my two, but it's a matter of preference, really.

3) Dietwise, carrots should be kept to a minimum. They're high in sugar so can potentially cause problems like obesity and diabetes if fed excessively. Broccoli should be fed sparingly, too, as they're very 'gassy'. Herbs and Spring Greens are much better to feed frequently. Here's a good feeding guide: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Looking forward to some piccies (hint, hint!) :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and thank you for your replies :) I got him with the intentions to get a doe in the future after neutering - this was also recommended by the rescue as we both agreed rabbits are sociable animals and thrive off companionship :D Thank you for the veg recommendation, I have just taken a look at the sticky :) Hmm not sure what I will do with regards to single or combo vaccinations...I will speak it through with our vet too. I will definitely upload some photos once he is settled, he wasn't really named when we got him so we have decided on "Raplhie" or "Ralph" for short. He is a Lionhead X , I'm thinking English Spot as he has the markings of an English Spot and the ears and fluffy mane of a Lionhead. We love him lots already, he is such a little cutie pie :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Trixie says:

"Hi Ralph, 'am Triwxie! Ma mummeh was a lionhead and ma daddeh was a lop, so dat means 'am also a lionhead cross! :D Louwease says dat she wuvs our manes. Ma husbun Buddeh is always grooming mine, hehe."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aww such a cutie, what an adorable bunny :D I will get picture taking ASAP once Ralphie is settled more! I have a brush and comb at the ready for fluff grooming lol. But so you can use your imagination for now (with regards to picture) he is white with lots of black spots and fluffy bits around his head with cute sticky up ears. Quite a small boy. How long shoud I wait after he is settled to get his balls of glory chopped? :confused:

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
We call them furry teabags :p

To be honest it won't matter a huge amount how long you wait as it will be stressful at any time. Just make sure you have a rabbot savvy vet, they prescribe metacam for a few days after and a gut stimulant is always a good idea after any op. Get lots of nommy food in - kale and herbs get mine eating - and some veggie baby food(no milk either) something like "apples apples apples" from Ella's Kitchen as its good to syringe feed if he stops eating after :)

Give him a week or two to get used to his new home maybe :) And then it is 6-8 weeks after that that he can have a wife :001_wub:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We call them furry teabags :p

To be honest it won't matter a huge amount how long you wait as it will be stressful at any time. Just make sure you have a rabbot savvy vet, they prescribe metacam for a few days after and a gut stimulant is always a good idea after any op. Get lots of nommy food in - kale and herbs get mine eating - and some veggie baby food(no milk either) something like "apples apples apples" from Ella's Kitchen as its good to syringe feed if he stops eating after :)

Give him a week or two to get used to his new home maybe :) And then it is 6-8 weeks after that that he can have a wife :001_wub:
Thank you for your reply. We are with an holistic vet who is very good, I'll ring them tomorrow to discuss the neutering. I will need to get a bigger hutch before getting him a wifey as the one he is in is only suitable for one bunny. I have spoilt him somewhat today with toys, willow sticks, yummy scrummy timothy hay, treats and spring greens. I handled him for a short while too, he was very good and seemed to enjoy a cuddle. I did get some pictures and now have to work out how to get them on here lol. Thank you again :)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
If you put the pics onto photobucket and then paste the IMG code into the post, that will bring them up bigger than as attatchments :)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
aww, he's beautiful, lovely markings :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Carrots go down well too. :lol: They go mad for them due to the sugar content!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.