Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A new arrival

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by imfloppy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. imfloppy

imfloppy PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We are currently awaiting the arrival of our British shorthair kitten. Can anyone help with what we need to buy and what we dont need to buy. Its a minefield if you have never been a cat owner before. Do we go for a water fountain or a bowl. Do we want a bed or vetbed?do we need an automatic feeder?Covered or uncovered litter tray! And a million other questions any help gratefully recieved aghhh HELP

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I wouldn't bother with a fountain.

Get two bowls, a cardboad box with a blanket, some toys, a scratching post, a litter tray with a hood or not (I would recommend a hood as it isn't particularly pleasant to smell plus it stops cats kicking litter out onto the floor), an automatic feeder if you intend to be away for 24 hrs +, a decent cat carrier & I think that is about it!

If the kitten is like my cat - if you spent 50p or £50 on a bed she would still chose a box to sleep in. I would also recommend cat trees if you are keeping your BSH inside (which I assume you are) as it may save your curtains & sofa....

Also you may need cat brush, collar & nail clippers.

3. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

hiya, ok you will need;
    A litter tray, upto you whether you choose covered or uncovered..good litter, not clumpy, tends to smell more i find..food and water bowl, you can buy an automatic feeder at a later date..get your kitten use to eating in a different place first..A bed would be nice..but dont worry if he/she would rather sleep on you, as he/she may feel more secure with you..

Toys are def essential, balls/bells/mice toys/sticks with things hanging off it..you want your kitten to feel at home by giving him/her lots of attention..
    Also good quality kitten food, the breeder should let you know what one he/she has been on....

worming and de-fleaing stuff...again breeder should explain this to you...

hope this helps....

4. imfloppy

Thank you for your help

Imfloppy

5. imfloppy

Thank you. Think you have just saved me a lot of perhaps unneccesary expense.
    ps love the web site

6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I really all comes down to personal preference on your part really regarding the bed and litter tray.

As stated above there is no gaurantee that your kitten will use what you buy for them. Our kittens have two beds to chose from and although they do use them on occasion they much prefer to sleep either at the top of the stairs (probably in a bid to trip me up) or on the DVD player or even the laptop as I am trying to use it.

Just remember that you don't have to get the most expensive items to have a happy kitten :)

Edited to Add: I forgot to say congratulations on your soon to be arrival!

7. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Hello,

I spent a fortune on Tilda before she arrived, I got a scratch post with lots of posh toys on it, a bed, bowls for feeding and watering, a hooded litter tray, little mice toys and a blanket for her...she uses the blanket, food and water bowls and thats about it! she will not under any circumstances use her litter tray if it has the hood on and rarely sleeps in her bed (unless its near the radiator and heating is on!) she has no time whatsoever for her lovely posh scratching post, she uses the grass outside for that and she plays with one mouse only which cost 50p.

I use catsan litter which is good at controlling the odour, Tilda has her own bathroom downstairs but thats only coz it came with the house and i use the upstairs one!

Tilda loves to sleep on my laptop too! xx

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I swear by my water fountain - I really noticed the difference in the amount the cats drank once I got it - even the kittens use it.

Oh and a Da Bird toy and a laser light.

9. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

congrats on the soon to be new arrival :)

i have 2 cats and a kitten, the cats use a covered litter tray and the kitten wont go in it so he uses a normal tray, i leave their carrier box down for the kitten to sleep in so he isnt scared of it when he has to go in it to the vets etc , he has his blanky and an old cushion in it.

as for toys, they all prefer playing with a scrunched ball of paper to their toys i have bought them lol

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi & welcome! Your post reminded me so much of when I got my first two rescue cats - we'd never had cats in the family & didn't have a clue what to get & what they'd need. I'm now up to five cats, lol!! Three rescues & two Ragdolls, all indoor cats. :)

I mostly agree with what's already been suggested - you don't need to spend a fortune, but buying them things is half the fun! Just don't be too upset if they're more interested in the cardboard boxes than the contents!!

Personally, I don't like or use hooded litter trays - I find them harder to clean. With an open one, you can just quickly scoop the poop without having to take the lid off. Because I have Ragdolls which are fairly big cats, I don't use an actual litter tray - I buy the large rectangular storage boxes (not the ones with huge sides). It gives them loads of room to move around, they're easy to clean, & being deep, keep the litter in the box rather than on the floor. BSH's are pretty sturdy cats, so you may want to keep that in mind for the future, but the kitten won't need anything that big to start out with. Your choice of litter is crucial - get one they don't like & they won't use the litter tray! I think most cat owners are always on the holy grail for the purrfect litter (sorry!!). I (& a few of my friends) are all using (the cats that is!) Costco's Litter Purrfect at the moment. It's reasonably priced & comes in a massive jug which lasts for ages. It's a really good clumping litter - it covers any "smells", & all you do is scoop the poop & wees (which form hard balls) & top the tray up when needed. You need to make sure you keep enough depth in the litter or you'll end up with a gooey mess at the bottom of the tray! :cursing: Check with your breeder what litter the kitten is using already.

My best investment for my indoor cats has been cat climbers/scratcher/trees, whatever you want to call them. It saves your furniture & my cats use them constantly to play, scratch & sleep. You can get some great ones at cat shows (look on the GCCF website to find any near you) or on the internet.

You don't need a water fountain to start with - you may want one in the future - see how you go. Two of my friends with cats use them for theirs & the cats love them (not the Cat It one). Get a couple of dishes - my vet recommends pottery/china ones to plastic. I wouldn't get an automatic feeder unless you're going to be out at work all day. Take advice re food from the breeder - changing food can cause tummy upsets, & you won't want to clear that up! :eek:

Re beds - if you don't start off with one, you'll never get them to use one! Once they're used to sleeping on your bed, there's no going back (or room for you in the bed, lol!!) I wouldn't bother with vet bed.

Toys - all cats differ in what they like. You can go with the simple - squashed up foil into balls, cardboard boxes with holes cut out (& you can put toys inside) to the complex. I've gone through the expensive things that I like (Thing in a Bag, Bug Jar etc), but the cats weren't interested! :mad: They do love little mice (some like them better if they've got a rattle in them), balls & wand toys. Just make sure you don't play "hand" games or you'll regret it when they grow up & pounce/scratch them thinking it's a game! Take a look at a great site on ebay - Pinky Pawz - large range of toys & allsorts of products at reasonable prices. You'll also need a cat carrier for trips to the vets (hopefully only for annual jabs!) The Cat Cabriolet is a lovely one.

This has turned into a bit of a tome I've been adding to over a few hours, lol! One other thing I did as a first ever cat owner, was to buy Your Cat magazine - packed with advice & features. If you like it, it's cheaper if you subscribe - I still do - & you normally get deals when you first sign up. You've also found this site which is a fab way to get help & advice.

Sorry to have droned on - you'll probably have had loads of answers in the time it's taken me to do this, lol! Only my personal views. Enjoy your new kitten - you'll have loads of fun :yesnod:

#10 munchbunch, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yes get a Da Bird cat toy, they are the best and probably only toy you will need, my 2 love it!

To be honest I wouldnt bother with the nail clippers, my boy didnt leave the house until just over a year old and never had to clip his nails especially if they use the cat tree.

Mostly ... we will need to see pics! lol

Good Luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice