Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Most Certainly Alternative Approach!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Dave D, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Dave D

Dave D PetForums Newbie

Came across this earlier. Apologies if anyone familiar with it already, it was written in 2017 I believe. I'm far from knocking it, I've never tried it, but in the hope of it helping anyone.

(If a link is allowed, if not would a mod remove entire thread please as there no point in posting).

https://stacythetrainer.blogspot.com/2017/04/stop-walking-your-dog.html?m=1

It's definitely alternative??

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

We recommend taking a break from walks on here all the time. If you have a dog that is stressed when out, or far too over-excited, then you need to give them time to 'come down' between walks (or other stressful events like the vets). Cortisol (stress hormone) can take up to 72 hours to come back down to normal, so if you have a stressful walk, taking them out the next day when they still have a high level of cortisol running through them, not only means that they are more likely to react, but that it will take another few days for them to come back down. It's known as a cortisol holiday/vacation by dog trainers.

Sairy, mrs phas, LittleMow and 7 others like this.
  3. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Thanks for this, very interesting read, loads of helpful suggestions.;)

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes this ties into some stuff that pippa mattinson has on her site specifically for gundogs and really helped me out.

There is far more value sometimes in just training; rather than repeating the daily out of controlled hunt:D

https://totallygundogs.com/the-trouble-with-springers-part-four/

There is a section about half way down this linked page headed "stop walking the dog"

Makes so much sense :)

LittleMow, DanWalkersmum and Sarah H like this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In your lenghthy thread - Contradictions Everywhere, the one you admittedly didn't read the answers to, this idea of not walking the dog *was* in fact mentioned, by me:
    It's not an alternative or new approach, many of us have been practicing it for a long time.

I know this is not my usual cheerful, enthusiastic reply, but it gets old when you take the time to give a thorough reply to what you thought was a genuine question only to have the person not even bother to read it. Plus I'm feeling rather triggered by your other thread today about breeding your rescue dog. The one with behavior issues, aggression, who was going to be PTS. :Banghead:Banghead

*Deep breaths*

Okay. Yes, it is common practice in the dog training community to advise owners to not walk their dogs in all sorts of instances. During the Cesar Millan heyday this advice was used as fodder to ridicule the "cookie pushers" but it is extremely sound advice for all the reasons mentioned in the article and more.

Years ago we took on a great dane who had been running feral. By the time we finally got him here, he was heartworm positive, had a leg that had been shot and healed over all sorts of messed up, and he was 40 pounds underweight.
    He was also food aggressive and had no compunctions about using teeth to make a point.
    Walking him until he was too tired to bite was not an option. With his heartworm case alone that would have killed him.
    Instead, he stayed at home. We got him at the end of October, on a full moon (why we called him Lunar) and it wasn't until the following spring that we started actually walking him with a leash. I remember it was warm out and he didn't need a coat. In the meantime, we worked on relationship, trust, and learning to growl when he was unsure instead of going straight for teeth. Yup, we rewarded him for growling. Another "alternative approach" good trainers use :)

Seven years later, almost to the day we lost Lunar (Lunar died on August 10 2013 and I finally caught Penny August 15 2020) our feral dog size has diminished slightly. The new rescue, I did walk her from day one, however I did not take her out for a walk in public until almost 2 months after we got her. Same idea, I wanted to build our relationship and her know she can rely on me before facing her with all the sights, sounds, and hustle and bustle of a more populated walk.

Sairy, LittleMow, Torin. and 7 others like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

For real?
    Some people just don't want to learn, or act sensibly.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad, Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  8. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Member

I've seen the not walking advice given on here many times, along with the mental stimulation being more beneficial than exercise when it comes to having a calm dog and helping anxious dogs to relax. Someone also, can't remember who, talked about the potential for creating an adrenaline junkie, so not sure about it being such an alternative approach ;)

Really wish I'd read @O2.0's advice about building a relationship first, before taking new dog out into 'the big wide world'. Could have saved me and Bodmin an unfortunate incident with a postman* :) If Bodmin has a stressful walk, we now make sure we have a calm couple of days, as per @Sarah H advice.

*no postman where harmed, but mine and my dogs confidence was knocked (and he didn't have a lot to start with :()

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice