UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i think was baileys best day alive so far haha.

In the morning we went to croft carboot where she was spoiled with new teddies and a bed :), She carried her pink kitty around everywhere haha.

Anyway last stall we got to, the women was like:

her"Is she alright she seems to be floppy at the back"
Me "no shes fine, shes wiggling her butt cause shes so happy"
her"she looks very skinny too, she might have a condition, you should take her vets"
Me"I toke her vets last week and they said she was perfect :001_wub:"
her"well you should get her checked by a proper vet, poor girl"

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

I cried i was so upset. I posted her a few weeks ago as to why i dont like taking her to busy areas because shes so slim.

So after that we went bradgate park for a longgggg walk to the castle, and saw deer [bailey was terrified haha]
then she spent 2 HOURS running and playing with all the dogs, swimming [her first proper swim :001_wub:], climbing and LOVING IT!! i was so proud!
Then we came home and she snuggled on her new bed :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
How much does she weigh?

People have opinions, especially about certain breeds, my two are always been called too skinny (Louie's current problems aside). I know they are fit and healthy, they get the best diet I can give them, they get out every day (unless I physically can't).. quite often they're owners or have been owners of barrels with legs.

Don't let someones opinion upset you. If you are happy with her and your vet is happy with her.. does it matter what others think?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The trouble is I fear, that people are so used to seeing overweight dogs they don't recognise a healthy to slim weight when they see it. Our two springers ( consecutive not at once) were always very slim and active but some pet owners equate food with love. My neighbour has a JRT who was a rescue breeding bitch from a puppy farm. She was underweight when he got her but now can only waddle. In spite of all our comments nothing changes.

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
I have a skinny dog too. she is not the greatest of eaters but I am not going to force feed her and she is very healthy and active.
No one has ever remarked on it in a bad way, though it is not obvious because of her hair.
Ignore anyone that says this to you, or explain politely that your dog is active and is, according to your vet, in perfect condition. Easiest way is just to nod politely and put it straight out of your mind.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to hear that this woman was so tactless in what she had to say - there's always going to be someone that has something to say about everything and often they hold no bars on peoples feelings :(

I don't know what your situation with Bailey is as I don't believe I've seen previous threads, however, if she is a choc lab, you will end up with MANY MANY MANY people saying things like this about a lab that is the correct weight. They are so used to seeing labs that are morbidly overweight that it looks to them to be the norm. If your vet is happy with her - let it go over your head x

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
The trouble is I fear, that people are so used to seeing overweight dogs they don't recognise a healthy to slim weight when they see it. Our two springers ( consecutive not at once) were always very slim and active but some pet owners equate food with love. My neighbour has a JRT who was a rescue breeding bitch from a puppy farm. She was underweight when he got her but now can only waddle. In spite of all our comments nothing changes.
I have a friend with a very obese elderly dog. When I (I hope tactfully) suggested that she went on a diet I was met by a look of horror and told she could not possible as she lives for her food.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
It would be easy to tell you not to worry what she says but I was told a few months ago by someone who literally walked past Henrick, that "hes going to have to be pts soon, he walks just like our old dog whos hips went". I thought I was ok till I got home but then I cried buckets over it, and for weeks I started reading too much into every move he made :eek:. Having said that do try to ignore her, Bailey is your dog and nobody knows her better than you, and as others have said a slim dog is far better than an overweight one, labs have really wiggly bums anyway, how the hell could she tell if there was a problem there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It would be easy to tell you not to worry what she says but I was told a few months ago by someone who literally walked past Henrick, that "hes going to have to be pts soon, he walks just like our old dog whos hips went". I thought I was ok till I got home but then I cried buckets over it, and for weeks I started reading too much into every move he made :eek:. Having said that do try to ignore her, Bailey is your dog and nobody knows her better than you, and as others have said a slim dog is far better than an overweight one, labs have really wiggly bums anyway, how the hell could she tell if there was a problem there.
this is disgusting. i really am ashamed of humanity sometimes.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
And they don't recognise breed differences. I often get told that my two are underweight. When I point out that they are greyhounds it's met with a blank look and they don't understand why that would make a difference. :rolleyes: Apart from the one woman who takes pride in the fact that her whippet isn't emaciated like those other ones. It's hugely overweight and can barely walk. :(

If you and your vet are both happy with Bailey then I wouldn't worry. It sounds like the rest of the day was lovely so just ignore the stupid woman and concentrate on that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So after that we went bradgate park for a longgggg walk to the castle, and saw deer [bailey was terrified haha]
then she spent 2 HOURS running and playing with all the dogs, swimming [her first proper swim :
Isn't she just a pup?

I would be a tad concerned about a youngster having a longggggg walk and then 2 hours of running and playing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It would be easy to tell you not to worry what she says but I was told a few months ago by someone who literally walked past Henrick, that "hes going to have to be pts soon, he walks just like our old dog whos hips went".
some people deserve to be pts! how cruel can they be? :eek:

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Why......?
Presumably because of the risk of over exercising an immature dog. If it's a one off it wouldn't worry me but no way I'd be exercising a 9 month old Lab like that regularly.

Ignore what people say about her weight. I get it with Spencer. People are so used to seeing grossly overweight Labradors that I suppose one at a good weight does look terribly thin. Why does it matter what they think though? If your vet is happy with Baileys weight then she can't be too thin and the opinion of a random stranger should just be ignored imo.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Don't let the weight issue get you down - as long as you know that he/she is healthy.

Broder's not exactly skinny but the OH's brother often tells us that he is... because he's saying his mates is absolutely huge... his friend's dog is a malamute not a husky.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Presumably because of the risk of over exercising an immature dog. If it's a one off it wouldn't worry me but no way I'd be exercising a 9 month old Lab like that regularly.

Ignore what people say about her weight. I get it with Spencer. People are so used to seeing grossly overweight Labradors that I suppose one at a good weight does look terribly thin. Why does it matter what they think though? If your vet is happy with Baileys weight then she can't be too thin and the opinion of a random stranger should just be ignored imo.
deffo a one off! i couldnt walk up them hills all the time! haha. we normally just go to a field for an hour walk!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bo is skinny, she's even lost a little weight in the last month. I hate it when people comment, even people close to me, they don't seem to realise it's like telling someone they're raising their children wrong :(. I'm glad of the darker evenings because less people notice us!

BUT the vet has said she's most likely just a skinny dog with her greyhound parentage, she eats like a horse (she'd eat the horse and it's dinner ;)), has great muscle tone and fur condition and has more energy that we know what to do with.

YOU know your dog, you know he's happy and healthy so everyone else can go **** off :D

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I think people are so used to seeing overweight dogs they wouldnt know what a healthy weight dog looks like if their life depended on it. Ignore the nasty comments. 9 times out of ten its the 'know it all' people that are making the comment when really they havent got a clue.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts

This exactly :)
As a one off I would'nt worry though :)
I thought I may be your daily routine walk!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.