Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

a lonely parrotlet

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by zilver, Jun 17, 2020.

1. zilver

zilver PetForums Newbie

Hi!

Three weeks ago I got two new parrotlets (Forpus coelestis) named Taro and Milow. Milow was a cripple: he had one leg that was standing out a bit, which caused him to be unable to fly, climb, or walk well. He had a special stick that was his stick which he used to get some more grip and look around confidently.

I got them when they were about 6 weeks old - they were babies. In the beginning, they did amazing. They got used to their cage and their home, as well as me, super quickly. I could pick Taro up in no time: they were tamed when I got them. Milow had more issues.

Last week, Milow passed away. I think he might have had heart problems, or maybe something else was going on, I don't know. Every night, the two of them would cuddle together and they would fall asleep that way. Taro definitely looked out for his brother. I gave him a plushie to cuddle with at night - he loves it.

A couple of days ago, Taro started acting strange. I am not allowed to pick him up anymore or come anywhere near him. I would carry him around on my shoulder - now, he will fly away as soon as I come close. His eating and sleeping habits seem normal, and he seems relaxed (making sounds, singing, stretching, preening) when he doesn't notice me paying attention.

I'm so sad. I was so glad I had a new buddy to take care of, and now he seems to be pushing me away. Shouldn't he want more attention from me if he is feeling lonely?

Does anyone have any tips? Or has anyone experienced sth similar? Please let me know.

2. JarvisMillan

JarvisMillan PetForums Newbie

My god, this is so sad. Unfortunately, I know nothing about birds but I really hope that things will get better!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice