Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Loki Thread Again

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Boxer123, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello everyone so during the summer Loki had some 1:1 training sessions I found these really helpful. We did a lot of work around keeping him calm and calling him away from other dogs in the distance, clicker and loose leash walking.

I still have some issues. If he is on a new walk he is better but a familiar area he’s always looking around to see if he can spot something or if we have bumped into a dog in a spot he will stop and look around. He’s also in the look out for wildlife we have so many deer. He just seems hyper alert.

Having recieved a massive CC bill last month due to vet bills (wasn’t all covered on insurance) I can’t have the1:1 sessions at the moment.

So I want to get his focus on me make me more fun. He loves sniffing He’s not crazy on food outside I always take his ball but am thinking I need something more high value.

Can anyone recommend fun games to play on walks?

I was thinking of getting him a doggy bag to get him to carry his own stuff might this calm him down a bit I’m not talking to weigh him down with bricks but just to carry his toys.

Veba likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Actually, the bricks might work! ;)

Twiggy, Sarah H, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

A game that combines food with a chase is one that tilly likes:

Just take 4 points of an imaginary square outside. Drop a little scatter of high value food (bits of sausage or cheese) on the first point. Whilst loki has his nose on that, run as fast as you can (and i bet you can run faster than me lol!) to the 2nd corner of your square and drop some more food. As soon as he has caught you up and is scoffing that, run to the 3rd corner. Repeat there and then complete your square.

You can also just have loki sit and wait, then start running fast away and, once you have a distance, call him and reward with a tuggy or food.

Any game like that where the dog needs to chase you is fun.

Tilly also loves hide and seek if i have her sit and wait whilst i hide. Then she is focused to find me fast.

Another way to keep focus is to walk a bit, dont say anything and just turn back the way you came. When loki catches up, turn and go away again. Dont call - it really does keep them much closer to you.

All these games can be done with a trailing long line if loki is on lead most of the time.

On lead you can train him to do the automatic sit when you stop (as demonstrated by @Sarah H on jean deckers thread (which i think i killed!!)

You can vary your walking speed from really slow to quick to run and change it up and down. See if he can keep to heel.

Do you throw your treats in a scatter over the ground? That is often better than just hand feeding. Or at least make it very exciting by holding it in a closed fist and have loki do a sit/down/sit sequence. Keep your hand closed til he is drooling!

Hope there is something there that will help

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

9ADF149C-EF68-491D-8EDB-F689345B80FD.jpeg
    I was hoping someone would give me the go ahead :D he’s just bonkers.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you some good ideas. Yes he’s on the long line he would be gone baby gone if he wasn’t. I’m definitely going to get him a going out tuggy he loves tug. Food I try scattering he is sometimes interested but more toy focused.

I was wondering about some sort of animal skin and hiding that.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Well yes, any hiding game can be good - I think @StormyThai and @Torin. are very knowlegable on these scent games.

And im sure @JoanneF can put a word in about how effective my games have been in keeping Tilly focused on me . . . .:D:D:D:eek:

LinznMilly, JoanneF and Boxer123 like this.
  7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

You haven’t seen anything until you see me and Loki out and about.

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oooh, can I tell?

Boxer123 and tabelmabel like this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

You have to now or the thread will die :p

tabelmabel likes this.
  10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ah, but it hangs on @tabelmabel saying yes so if it does, it's still down to her! :D

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

You can, @JoanneF but, on post walk analysis, i think there were a few good things.

Like for example:

1) is it possible she did actually turn back when she heard the whistle? Im giving her the benefit of the doubt and saying - yes.

As she did re appear fast. Although it couldnt be called a recall could it?!

2) erm . . . .well, she was back pretty quick.

3) could have been a lot worse. Look positive!

JoanneF and Boxer123 like this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I can assure you i have. As joanne will no doubt tell you. Luckily i have a very calm nature in these situations.

JoanneF likes this.
  13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh @JoanneF you must tell.

14. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

She will, worry not @Boxer123 . She will be composing the tale right now. I think she found it very amusing.

Boxer123 and JoanneF like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Not too much embelleshment please @JoanneF . Stick to the facts:D

JoanneF and Boxer123 like this.
  16. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I play a lot of the same game as @tabelmabel

Teddy does love food so that helps so I do a lot of scatter games and chasing treats (him chasing not me) and chucking them about. I also play the throw a treat run away game!

Teddy also loves his tuggys. He has a sheepskin one and a rabbit skin one and I generally alternate which one I take out. I’ll get it out at random moments and get him to chase it round and round! Or I show him it and run away as fast I can with it trailing and he loves to chase me down (doesn’t take long).
    Does he like balls? You could always throw a ball for him but ask him to sit and wait and watch it land and then send him to get it. Not really a focus on you game but might stop him looking for other things!

What about a flirt pole? I keep thinking of getting Ted one!

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Crumbs! Joanne must be working on a novel here!

Murphles was no better tbh. In fact, he is worse as i dont think he is fighting against any hunt drive at all. Slight, at most. He just has to go one better. Every time.

Boxer123 and JoanneF like this.
  18. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So, we met for a walk. Murphles on lead until we got past the area where he would bog off to poo out of sight because it would be impossible to find. Tills on her flexi lead because it was a gamey area where she would be too tempted to resist. Remember Tilly has one of the best recalls ever, but where there is game, her ears go into total shut down.

Timber of course was walking to a perfect heel in a beam of sunlight, eyes never leaving mine, except for the times we broke into a little heelwork to music routine - ok, that bit isn't true.

The walk took about 90 minutes, Tilly was on her flexi for the first ¾ but then we got to a section where she could be trusted off lead because there was fencing and virtually nowhere to go.

Huh.

She had been off lead for about a minute, when a roe deer cut across the path. But all was well, I don't think she even saw it. Murph, however, was off in pursuit while Tabelmabel explained that for Tilly it was the fun of flushing that drove her, not the fun of the chase.

Huh.

Nobody told Tilly about the flush being better than the chase. Off she went like a little missile. She and Murph, and the deer, were off to our left somewhere. Then another couple of deer appeared somewhere off to our right. As did Tilly and Murphy. Running fast, away from us.

Then, and I have no idea what was going on by now, Murph reappeared in the field to our right, but this time running fast with a deer chasing him.

Huh?

Meanwhile, Timber was quietly trying to appear nonchalant in case anyone expected him to get involved.

Tabelmabel called Tilly (Murph is good at not venturing too far and knowing when he's had enough). And she did come back pretty fast but sort of overshot us in her excitement. Several times. With us trying to catch her, which is so ridiculous you would have to see it to believe it. Eventually she focussed (not on Tabelmabel, on something on the other side of a fence, but it was enough to make her stop). And she was back on lead, but very excited for the rest of the walk.

Murph had also reappeared and was, just Murph.

No deer were harmed in the making of this episode!

Is that about right @tabelmabel? :D

#18 JoanneF, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Where did you get your tuggys from ? I have been thinking about a flirt pole. He loves balls and the squeaky ones tend to get him involved I just need to mix it up again.

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Brilliant my favourite parts;

Murphy being chased by a deer :p
    @tabelmabel trying to catch Tilly
    Timber obviously far better trained just watching from a distance
    All you needed was Fenton !!!!

Loki will chase deer but hasn’t the brains to come back and I panic a lot. I don’t want him getting his arse whooped by a deer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice