Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little yuk but I need to ask

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clare7435, May 16, 2010.

1. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Penny had an infection a couple of weeks ago which the vet treated with antibiotics, and she's been fine since, her toileting was fine at this point anyway but this morning I got up to find she'd done a poo near the back door, she never does this....when I cleared it up I realised it was coated in a kind of jelly....anyway. not giving it much thought because she's as mad as ever and playing with the cat I just thought it was perhaps something she'd picked up without me noticing....anyway she's been 3 more times like that and the last one had quite a bit of jelly like stuff with it....kind of seperate to her actual poo...sorry to gross you all out but I'm really not sure what it is, she's really bouncy and the usual penny....she's up to date with worming and jabs so thought I'd ask here before I rushed her to the vet in the morning like the overprotective doggy mum that I am:D
    Clare xx

2. rona

rona Guest

That is colitis, it may be temporary or it could get worse.
    Give bland food tomorrow and if it still keeps getting worse, pop to vet on Tuesday.
    A little natural yogurt may help
    Has she eaten anything unusual?

3. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Not as far as I know, I watch her pretty closely...some say a little too close :)..but there's always that chance isn't there....we go on the beach, the woods, park that kind of thing....I've got some natural yogurt in so I'll give her that for tomorrow and see how she goes,I can get a vets appt pretty quick if needs be so if she does get any worse I can always take her in tomorrow.
    Cheers rona xx

4. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

agree with rona, sounds like colitis, one of ours has suffered this and if it doesnt ease up can get worse to the point where you will see traces of blood, so bland food and if doesnt get better soon a definite trip to the vets, even phone your vets tomorrow and ask advice over phone, just to reassure yourself :)

5. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Thanks mich4....I think a I'll ring up anyway, she was fed last at 5.30 last night and she hasn't been to the loo since...she usually goes within an hour of eating..she's still her happy lively sociable self but I'd rather she stayed that way so don't think I'll wait.
    Thanks again folks
    Clare xx

6. rona

rona Guest

How's things this morning?

7. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

She's still happy and playful...in fact she's just tried to move the cat to her bed by grabbing his ear and pulling.....she just hasn't been to the loo yet.....she usually goes within an hour of eating and her last meal was last night and we've had nothing since....I've just given her little yogourt and she's had a few licks so maybe she'll go soon....I'm going to give it an hour and see if she does, if she hasn't I'll take her to the vet and see what they say.
    xx

8. rona

rona Guest

I always think it's a good sign after they've had an upset tum, it's usually an indication that things are settling down :)
    Mine has odd bouts of colitis which amount to nothing, they can last between one and three days. It's always linked to something eaten.
    Others of course have a life long battle to keep their dogs tums right

9. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

She's otherwise healthy so that's a good sign,she's certainly not showing any signs of being in pain or anything so perhaps it's linked to something she ate when she had the infection the other week, I haven't seen her pick anything up but we all know how sly they can be if they think we're not looking....and I did have to put the kitchen bin outside because of her ability to sniff something out at 10 miles a few weeks ago :lol:...she is the total opposite to Fizz...Fizz will leave anything in the st, in the home, never bin raids....never even so much as looks at food on the floor etc.....Penny....if she see's it she will try....she also has to go on the lead near the pond at the park because she tries to drink out of it.She'll leave if I tell her, but if I don't see her going for something I'm sure she won't be thinking....better not I'm not allowed lol
    I think I'll leave it today after all..because she really is a happy pup....not upset or quiet...nothing like taking a dog to the vet and saying they're not well whilst they're climbing the curtains in the surgery lol....and if your pooch gets bouts and they only last a few days and he's fine afterwads then it's maybe worth just seeing how she goes for the next day or so..
    xx

10. rona

rona Guest

You've got afternoon surgery if it gets any worse :D
    Best see what comes out first, hopefully it will look as if her tum is settling when it does come :D

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Likely the antibiotics will have upset the balance of gut bacteria - I would always give probiotics during a course of antibiotics and for a couple of weeks after. Protexin is a good dog probiotic, available from online pharmacies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice