Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little too much love

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 15, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie LOVES children, the smaller the better :D This sounds all well and good in theory, but it's gotten to the point where she loves them a little tooooo much. Her love of kids rivals her love of other dogs, which is saying something :eek:

If she sees a child when we are out and about she will pull and wimper and dance around to try to get to them and say hello :rolleyes: It's really a little embarrassing and understandably sometimes scares the kid (even though she's a tiny fluffy thing). If she sees a child, there is no reasoning with her - no amount of distraction has any impact, not even squeezy cheese :eek: The idea of not letting her meet until she's calm doesn't really work because even if she did calm down, most parents won't want her greeting their toddler.

Any ideas how I can get her to be a little less enthusiastic about little people?

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie's like this with my nephews and niece, although mostly ignores other children. I've found letting him carry around a toy helps him to calm down. It seems to be like a comfort blanket for him, although he is a cocker so he's been bred to carry things in his mouth, which a westie may not take to, although you could try it. Now, instead of running to the children, he runs to the nearest toy and presents it to my nephews and niece, which is so sweet and cute.

3. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

Freddie is exactly the same - he wants to greet everyone - children, toddlers, even drunk men (scary if I'm on my own).
    If anyone is walking behind us he wants to stop to say hello and will dance around on his back legs until they catch up. It is really embarassing.
    I have had no sucess trying to stop him with this.

I too would appreciate any suggestions of how to curb this behaviour.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ah sounds like a Westie trait (BTW Kenzie has the same pink and green ball in Freddie's photo :) )

Thanks for the advice Seven pets - Kenzie's not really one for carrying toys around but I'll definitely give it a try - I'll try anything! :eek:

5. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

That ball is Freddie's favourite outdoor toy (he has a soft toy mouse for indoors). He only has it on walks so it is really high value treat. He will do anything for that ball - useful for recall when he is off lead as food treats do not work!

I think we will try him carrying it on walks to stop the excessive greeting of strangers but I am nervous he will drop it into the road as we have to raod walk to get to the park or other nice walks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice