Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

A little market research :-)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Psygon, Jan 10, 2019.

1. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Psygon - hi, yes I'd be interested in a wide, shallow ceramic bowl, (e.g. the one second from the right in your photo). I'd be willing to pay about £15 per bowl. I'd also be interested in a canvas tote bag.:) Perhaps a t-shirt..

@TriTri - I love those photos on canvas! (Wow, only £2 each!) I subscribe to the Icat Care magazine but don't always get around to reading it. I wish I had read it when the photo offer was still open. :(

2. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would be interested and pay about £10 for an off the shelf one.
    If I could customise or personalise like you do on Funky Pigeon then more.

I would look at the other items such as tea towels and totes but would only go £5 tea towel £10 a tote.

I have recently bought handmade totes off Etsy and specific totes with a one off design.

MaggieDemi, TriTri and ewelsh like this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

2DDEF923-8874-47CB-B6AB-A0483650E103.png
    I put a note on the shopping thread here. 8 canvases and I saved £244 odd. I have ordered more since for £4 odd each and £7 as they have offers on all the time, but never since for £2. The puzzles, mouse mats and blankets look nice too, or would with cats on. It was 31/7/18 I put it on here.

Dumpling, MaggieDemi, ewelsh and 2 others like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww thanks TriTri :) I can't remember reading your post last year, not to say that I didn't, but it may have gone right out of my head if I forgot to make a note at the time. :D

MaggieDemi, TriTri and ewelsh like this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I like the second bowl on the right as well.:cool:

6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

If I like something I will buy it regardless of price, if I can’t afford it I will wait. I love Etsy or non high street designs.

For me don’t like cartoon bones or fish on designs! I like all my girls to have pretty bowls but practical, so a heavier weight, low and shallow.

I would really like pretty place mats big enough to catch all the thrown food, mats that are wipeable too, I must go through 18 fabric place mats per week!

Also think of summer months and flies! Maybe a lid for the bowl or have bowls to fit the automatic feeders!
    Also little blankets again without the bones or fish design, easy to wash and dry.

You will never please everyone tastes, some are contemporary, some plain, vintage, fun etc.

Pic your market and style, the customers will find you. That’s the beauty of internet shopping now, we aren’t stuck with boring high street mass produced products.

It’s all about research :D

I wish you well, go for it x

MaggieDemi, kimthecat and TriTri like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I really like the stylised version of your stuff @Psygon like in your signature. I think it really sets them apart from other cat designs out there.

I've used waterslide decals for my polymer clay work. They definitely are not dishwasher proof. I have to use a really good sealant just to ensure they don't get worn off during wear.

Using a kiln is quite a skill, I have toyed with getting one for my jewellery making - but obviously that would be a tiny one compared to what would be needed for firing ceramics.

MaggieDemi and ewelsh like this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

About price. I would also take into account the postage and packing. :)

MaggieDemi and TriTri like this.
  9. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

1. A
    2. B
    C. E

I would expand on the discussion above re whisker fatigue by noting that all cats are prone to this whatever their size and most cat bowls are too high-sided and narrow to avoid this.

It would be better to move towards shallower bowls and plates overall, though I appreciate these may be more difficult to 'decorate' than the sides of a high-sided bowl.

MaggieDemi, huckybuck, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  10. Ceiling Kitty

Just noticed that I called question 3 'C' instead. :Hilarious I think this is my cue to give up!

MaggieDemi and Psygon like this.
  11. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

The other thing you have to remember about making your own stuff is the time it takes - I know from experience it's hard to get people to pay a price that makes the making worthwhile.

Take, for example, this style of little blankets I make - fleece fabric edged with satin (please excuse the photo quality, it's the only one I have to hand!)

upload_2019-1-11_13-27-7.png

These things can take 2-3 hours to make each, mainly because fleece and satin is a nightmare combination to sew - you have to tack it every inch just to get it to play nice, and if it goes wrong unpicking is a nightmare. Loads of people say they love them - but few will fork out even the the £8 show special price I ask for them at cat shows.

Likewise the little hexagon mats and blankets I crochet - £10 asked, but no takers so far in well over a year since I made them:

upload_2019-1-11_13-32-37.png

This does seem to be a UK thing. In many countries, handmade items are prized and people pay well for them.

In the UK, on the other hand handmade still seems to often be regarded as either elitist or the poor mans choice, and people expect either extortionate prices or to pay a pittance as a result. When doing shows, I've seen people happily fork out more for a cheap, mass produced in China product than they will for a handmade equivalent, particularly with wand cat toys.

I should note, I'm not complaining - my craft is my hobby, not my income,so if I don't sell it's not a problem for me as I still get to see my friends at cat shows. But it is something to be borne in mind - I am considering stocking a few more products I've had commercially made for me (in the UK) simply because it's less stressful and would help cover stall costs. :)

Psygon, Dumpling, MaggieDemi and 2 others like this.
  12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Yes you need something that makes you a few £ like starters at a restaurant!

My friend is a textiles teacher. I can’t remember the last time she made something.

Could you have a lot of stuff made up in bulk then fancy them up? I am thinking embroidery or similar .

x

Psygon and MaggieDemi like this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

What on Earth is whisker fatigue???? :eek:

TriTri likes this.
  14. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Question 1: Do you think you would be interested in buying pet bowls like this?
    C. Maybe

With my breeder's hat on, anything other than hard wearing/stainless steel/functional, long lasting bowls I tend to view as a special purchase, generally as a gift for a cat owning friend.

Question 2: if you would, what price range would you be willing to pay?
    D. I’m not sure, I’d have to see it before I decided if I wanted it

It would very much depend upon the quality, feel and look. I have paid up to £15 for a small'ish ceramic food dish just because it looked lovely and 'different'.

Question 3: Are there other products you’d consider buying that use designs similar to this?
    A. Tableware (plates, mugs etc)
    B. Kitchenware / containers / storage
    C. Textiles (tea towels, blankets)
    D. Something else
    E. Not sure!

None of the above - just personal taste but I am not keen on cat/dog print textiles, etc.

Overall, I am far more likely to buy something like this, whether plain or printed, if the design/print is not run of the mill... but it would be an impulse purchase/gift as I'm just one of those boring folk who wants plain, good old fashioned pet utensils that withstand being dropped, constantly run through the dishwasher etc.

Psygon likes this.
  15. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Just out of curosity, what size/design of bowl would you as a feline vet recommend? I've sold a few bowls like this I've handpainted with different designs:

[​IMG]

They're five inches across and 1 inch deep.

Edit: and I'll stop hijacking the thread after this, promise!

Psygon, Dumpling and bluecordelia like this.
  16. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Attached Files:

17. Ceiling Kitty

I'm not aware there are any set guidelines.

Certainly, 'whisker fatigue' and 'whisker stress' do not seem to be common considerations in veterinary medicine at this time, though they perhaps should be.

On a day-to-day basis, it would seem that the majority of cats eat successfully out of deep bowls (and we're all aware of cats sticking their heads into narrow glasses and jugs to get at water). I know my cat would certainly shove his head into a narrow space if it meant a tasty reward, so stomach overrides whiskers in many cases.

So it's hard to know exactly how much of a problem 'whisker fatigue' is. No scientific studies exist, to my knowledge; we have only anecdotal reports from cat owners to go by; and we can't ask the cats themselves, which would give us the final answer.

Bowl style receives much more attention in the veterinary world with regards to water bowls rather than food, as measures to increase the water intake of cats with renal and urinary disease obviously come up frequently.

I personally believe that whisker stress is something to be avoided if we can, just in case it does cause discomfort or confusion.

In the case of cats with reduced appetites due to stress or illness, whisker stress may be a 'straw that breaks the camel's back' in terms of deciding whether or not they will eat, so why not avoid it if possible? I think it becomes of extra importance in cats with FOPS.

In answer to your question, there is no set bowl style that I would recommend, other than going with a shallow saucer-style rather than a full-on bowl with tall sides. Or even an outright plate. Sorry to be vague and unhelpful.

Psygon, chillminx and TriTri like this.
  18. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Cheers, CK - I appreciate it's a tricky one! Although having read the petmd article I wonder if this is why Lori frequently removes her wet/raw from the bowl to eat elsewhere... Might try her with a saucer for a while, see if that makes a difference or it's just her being a tortie madam!

Psygon likes this.
  19. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

It makes good sense then to measure each of our cats’s faces from the tip of one whisker to the tip of the other and make any sides of dishes have a wider diameter. It could be a unique selling point.
    I use flat dishes mainly and it doesn’t matter how big Max’s are, there’s always a spill of food over the edges, bless him!

Summercat likes this.
  20. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I have so many cats and, as a very clumsy owner, I have two reasons that mean I could never contemplate special bowls for them all but just to add to the debate about type of bowls, my cats either eat from large dinner plates or human wide cereal bowls. It is many years since I have used specific cat bowls. I did recently buy some flat, oval cat dishes (Trixie I think) as extras for my boy who was having to be coaxed with a variety of foods all on different plates and I think they would be good for 'normal' cat meals too. They would also show the designs very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice