Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little market research :-)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Psygon, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

OK, folks, I need your help :)

I’ve been searching and searching for somewhere that can do small print runs of cat (and dog) bowls. It’s surprisingly hard!

However, I’ve started talking to a company who might be able to do what I imagine. They would be able to help me create ceramic bowls with designs on the outside and possibly inside too. They wouldn’t be custom / bespoke to an individual cat as from what I can find these would cost somewhere in the region of £20.00+ a unit. They would be fully food and dishwasher safe.

The ones I’m looking at would feature colourful cat designs similar to things I’ve shared on the forum before, so think something like this:

MVIMG_20190106_122451_2.jpg

Although potentially depending on cost they may need to be simplified while I figure out if there is a market for these! The more colour I use, the more expensive they will be!

I’ll have to invest some money to get this off the ground, and if I do I want to get this right! So, it would be great if you could help me by answering the following questions. I've never done market research before so not 100% sure if these will help... but here we go!

Question 1: Do you think you would be interested in buying pet bowls like this?
    A. Yes
    B. No
    C. Maybe

Question 2: if you would, what price range would you be willing to pay?
    A. £2.50 - £5.00
    B. £5.00 - £10.00
    C. £10.00 - £15.00+
    D. I’m not sure, I’d have to see it before I decided if I wanted it

Question 3: Are there other products you’d consider buying that use designs similar to this?
    A. Tableware (plates, mugs etc)
    B. Kitchenware / containers / storage
    C. Textiles (tea towels, blankets)
    D. Something else
    E. Not sure!

If you have any other thoughts or comments would love to hear them :)

Thank you in advance :)

MaggieDemi, TriTri, ewelsh and 3 others like this.
  2. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hi @Psygon in answer to your questions:

Q1: A (Yes)
    Q2: C (10-15) - though as an aside, for a special personalised Oscar design, I reckon I'd pay the aforementioned £20 ;)
    Q3: A & C (tableware and teatowels please)

I really hope you can get something going. I also think if you were able to go down the personalised route, you could do well with that too. Your designs are so cute though, that you'd easily be able to sell them - even just in our little village we have several craft and seasonal fayres and pet things always do very well (dogs especially, everyone seems to have a dog down by the seaside!). Good luck!

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

1. A
    2. B assuming a unit is one bowl
    3. A, B, C, D

For the color issue, I like earthtones, which look natural. The design could be more colored or earth tones, either way I think would look nice.
    Just mentioning if maybe natural colors are less expensive to make.

4. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums Senior

A. Yes

B. £5.00 - £10.00 if I was buying for myself I probably wouldn't pay more than this.
    C. £10.00 - £15.00+ however if I was buying as a gift then I tend to be prepared to pay more for something special

Question 3: Are there other products you’d consider buying that use designs similar to this?
    A. Tableware (plates, mugs etc) - in reality probably not, but mainly due to my cupboards being full to bursting
    B. Kitchenware / containers / storage - probably not
    C. Textiles (tea towels, blankets) - tea towels - defiantly (although I think I have shared my tea towel obsession previously)!
    D. Something else - canvas shopping bags? either large ones for grocery shopping of the small what I think of as "magazine" size ones... Also I like matching, so my "if" my cat got a bowl, she might need a matching mat!
    E. Not sure!

Any which way good luck!!

Hannah :)

MaggieDemi, TriTri and Psygon like this.
  5. Psygon

My understanding from the conversation I had with the company is that it's the number of colours used that increases the costs. However, I was also thinking last night to make some designs that are more neutral and earth toned!

6. Psygon

I also like the idea of canvas shopping bags, and I think I can make these myself - so might have a go! :)

Tea towels I think would look good in 1 or 2 colours, so I have to have a think about what design could work!

7. Psygon

Personalised I can kind of do now at that £20 price point... it's just I'm not 100% sure on how it's all printed! It wouldn't be through the same company I'm talking to... I will be back later with a draft :p

MaggieDemi, ewelsh and Summercat like this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

A. Yes

B. £5.00 - £10.00 With a small element of D

A. Tableware (plates, mugs etc)

C. Textiles (tea towels, blankets)

Can I have two answers on 3? :)

I also like the idea of the canvas shopping bags.

I'm sort of with @Summercat erring more of the side of more muted colours, but I do like a real POP of colour too.

I think I might have just realised why my family tell me I'm difficult to buy for....

MaggieDemi and Psygon like this.
  9. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I suppose I'll have to be the typical bloke;)
    1) B - No
    2) D - not applicable really
    3) A/C - I'd probably buy mugs/tea towels if I had a need for them. Probably pay upto £5 more than a plain one if the design really appealed.

MaggieDemi, TriTri, MilleD and 3 others like this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

A. Yes

B. £5.00 - £10.00

TBH my maximum would be 8 pounds.
    I definitely wouldnt. pay more than 10 pounds

E. Not sure!

MaggieDemi, TriTri and Psygon like this.
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Bowls I wouldn't buy, as they're often too deep and narrow for Maine Coons and they often get whisker fatigue.

If it were a large, shallow tray, I would definitely buy a few

MaggieDemi and Psygon like this.
  12. Psygon

One of the quite good things about this company is that for bowls there might be a reasonable choice. This is just one example of size varieties.

IMG_2393.JPG

Dumpling, MaggieDemi, Soozi and 6 others like this.
  13. Rufus15

Currently I'm using baking trays (obviously only for their food specifically, they don't go near the oven) so that's the size I'd be looking for. They're very unslightly so something prettier would be nice

MaggieDemi likes this.
  14. Psygon

I'd assume that some ceramic platter size plates would work... :)

MaggieDemi and Rufus15 like this.
  15. Rufus15

They sound perfect :D

MaggieDemi and TriTri like this.
  16. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

41ED4232-EE64-4CAF-B732-ECECDCAE079B.jpeg I have often wondered why you are not self employed with your photographic skills and totally amazing, exceptionally beautiful cats. I for one would buy calendars, teatowels, food bowls, tiles, dinner mats, coasters, clothing, bags, fabric etc etc with your cats’ photos on, at the right price.
    Have you tried using the decal waterslide paper yourself, for transferring photos onto crockery? It is waterproof and dishwasher proof. I’m sure it’s well within your abilities, but you would need to buy it wholesale of course eventually. I’ve seen photos transferred onto tiles using nail polish remover. I’ve transferred cat photos onto teashirts and fabric and you can pretty much transfer photos onto anything these days, e.g Wood, food- using rice paper if you want it edible etc.
    I’ve had quotes and samples made up of my catnip mice in China and whilst cheap, they were awful and ticked only one of many boxes. I’d stay clear of China.
    We are currently having some “items” made up in Germany and some in England, just found the manufacturers by surfing the net.
    I’ve taken a photo here of some craft products I have for photo transfers, including the water slide decal paper, the rice paper e.g for making cake toppers, plastic coated freezer paper for fabric, the yellow sticky back printer paper for photos (would love a sheet of piccies of your cats on a sheet but could get them from cat chat)! The Dylon image maker has either iron on sheets or the tube is the paste you paint onto the photo. I would love a separate printer for use with edible ink- you should get one and sell your own edible cake toppers with your beautiful cats on. The world is your oyster!

#16 TriTri, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    MaggieDemi, Paddypaws, ewelsh and 3 others like this.
  17. Psygon

Ooh, thanks for this @TriTri !

I do have some waterslide decals, but I didn't think they were dishwasher safe? I'm wondering now if I've bought the right thing!!!

The company I'm talking to is UK based tho, and tbh, their process is waterslide transfers too - although they then glaze the ceramic and fire it in a kiln (and I looked at the cost of kilns and thought that may be a little ambitious right now!!!). Do you mind me asking if the things you are having made up are ceramics??

Just going to have a google now for the Dylon image maker - there are lots of things here I've never heard of. I also only just got a printer... the first one I've ever owned and I'm almost 40, so this is a whole new world to me :D :D :D

MaggieDemi, TriTri and ewelsh like this.
  18. TriTri

B6877BFB-9F68-4FAE-94C3-BB72712C77EC.jpeg When the icatcare had the offer on the canvas’s with photos transferred, totalling just £2 each, I thought of you and what a killing you could make having your photos transferred onto them. You could shift thousands and wouldn’t have had to do anymore than put an order in and pay for them. Four of these I bought for £2 each.

#18 TriTri, Jan 10, 2019
    MaggieDemi, ewelsh, Summercat and 2 others like this.
  19. TriTri

E3568765-9FC1-4588-9FF0-66D2E7788A5F.jpeg
    My leaded glass and glass mosaic teacher had her own kiln and also the college had them for pottery classes. I’m sure there are people with kilns available to assist with your firing for a small fee, should you want to give it a try yourself initially? Or maybe you prefer to contract out?
    Maybe look at finding tutors and find out who has their own kiln and enquire?
    I was wanting to find a calendar with your cats on it when I looked last week!
    No the products we are having made up are not ceramics.
    My friend bought me these two lovely ceramic bowls from Whittards many years ago, but I haven’t found anything similar since and would like more....

20. TriTri

Some jewelry makers have kilns for fusing glass too.

Don’t forget to add your logo and contact details to the base of the products.

#20 TriTri, Jan 10, 2019
    MaggieDemi, ewelsh and Summercat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice