Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little help please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by u-look-like-a-hamster, Jul 16, 2009.

1. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Hi, i haven't really posted on this section before.

My friends Cat who is about 1 year old.

For the past 4 days he has been poorly and won't eat.

It started of with a bad eye which turned into a sore throat, and then he just stopped eating and drinking.
    He has had a TINY bit of water.

She took him to the vets today and s/he said that s/he doesn't know whats wrong with him. S/he checked everything; pulse, temp, mouth.
    At first she thought he had a broken jaw, but has had a drink since.

Alex hasn't been sick and he doesn't have diarrhea.

But she hasn't seen him poo or wee.

He has had a bad eye and throat before but not for long.
    He is lethargic and is just not himself at all.

She had to scruff him to get him to take his anti-biotics but that doesn't seemed to have done any good.

Bearing in mind there isn't a emergncy vets or a vets she can ring right now :/
    she is running ouit of things too do.

I have suggested give him some glucose water, and try feed him some Ham, scrambled eggs, but he isnt eating anything.

PLEASE HELP AND GIVE ADVICE PLEEEEEEASE!!

2. u-look-like-a-hamster

Bump bump

needs help asap!!!!!!!!!!!

xx

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

has there been any vomiting? if she knows what the cats absolute favourite thing to eat is like cooked ham or chicken then she may want to try enticing him with a little of that just to get him interested in food

4. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

Usually there is an emergency line that if you ring your normal vet no they will put you through to .

Have to say bad eyes ,sore throat makes me think of cat flu,has cat had its jabs?

The only thing I try to get poorly ones to eat is chicken,and use a dropper to get fluids into them,but I would definitely get vet advice on this one as cat has gone lethargic and thats not good .
    Hope this helps a little

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I'd try to make sure you get plenty of fluids down him, even if you can only use a dropper & get to the vet again first thing tomorrow. Not pooing or weeing isn't a good sign, but if he hasn't eaten anything, there may not be anything in his tum. Why did the vet think he might have a broken jaw, or was that your friend who thought that? If he deteriorates any further, I'd def ring the vets to get an out of hours number so that you can speak to somebody & take him in if that's what they advise - you might want to do that now anyway. Hope he picks up soon. x

6. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

try goin on vetsdirect.co.uk they give you questions to tick then give you advice

7. u-look-like-a-hamster

Hi thanks everybody.

He hasn't been sick at all.

I thought it was cat flu, but she said surely the vat would have picked up on that.

In ireland they have noo emergency vets, so she says.

The vet thought he had a broken jaw because he wasnt eating, but he has had a drink since the vets.

I'll tell her all of this, poor chris she is really sad about poor little alex :(
    xx

8. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Tell your friend to get a second opinion. Has she tried smelly food, like tuna, to entice him to eat? It may be that he is not eating cos he can't smell the food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice