Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little help on breeding feeder mice??

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by chynawhyte, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chynawhyte

chynawhyte PetForums Newbie

Hello
    I just recently decided to breed feeder mice to feed to my king snake and to sell as feeders or pets because the pet shops here sell them for way too much.
    My question is this. Since I plan on selling them as feeders or pets, I want to sex the newborns b4 I sell them off as food, and sell only males as food. I will be keeping mostly females to grow to full size and feed to my snake and to sell.
    I know I cant touch them so early in life or the mother will eat them, so my plan was to use a spoon to pick them up, and small metal probe to move their tiny tails so I can tell the sex.
    The only problem is, I don't want any scent on the instuments that I use so that there will be less of a chance that the mother will eat them. What should I use to sanitize the instruments? I am trying to make this as cheap as possible, so a homemade sanizter works best for me. Any suggestions as to what I can use that will, a. take any smell away and, b. not be harmful to the mice.

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Prepare for a frosty reception on here... This is a forum of animal lovers and I know that quite a few people on here don;t like the idea of killing mice for food.

For sanitizer, I'd suggest ethanol or heavy duty bleach or somesuch.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I agree. This is a pet lovers forum and most people on here don't like topics like this. Even though we all know that reptiles must eat too, it's still not a nice topic with alot of mice/rodent lovers here.

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I hate the thought of breeding animals to feed to snakes.:sad: I don't know how anyone could feed something 'live' to a snake.:(

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

Jazzy, you don't feed them live to the snake you kill them humanely first, which is more than can be said of snakes in the wild.

use a sanitizer for baby things like Milton. Just make sure you dilute it correctly and rinse well afterwards.

check out:
    MOUSE CARE SHEET Animal Allsorts The Reptile House

How to Breed Feeder Mice | eHow.com

it should give you tips on anything you need to know.

Make sure it's legal to do what your doing in your region in canada too, you may find there is legislation against home breeding for selling rather than just personal use.

6. chynawhyte

ok, when I joined this site I was warned that people are on here that do breed for food, and that there is not to be any negative things said to them, so I believe I deserve that much respect, please. I am an animal lover thru and thru. I always had pet mice as a child. We all have to understand that this is the cycle of life. Do you eat meat? Fish? That makes us just as 'bad'. Do you set mouse traps? Or do you have cats to take care of that problem for you?

I love my snake, and I like to keep her fed. Mice here are very expensive. I also own 2 teacup chihuahuas, and I would much rather my snake eat mice then escape and eat one of the dogs or my pet hamster. At least if I am breeding the mice I know they are healthy food for my snake as opposed to her eating mice from god knows were, having been fed god knows what. If this offends anyone, I apologize, but again, please try to see my side of things. Thanks.

7. chynawhyte

Thanks a million for your help and understanding. It is greatly appreciated.

8. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Well this is the small animal section where we keeps animals such as mice for pets. If you want people who will accept your view, go on over to the reptile section or onto Reptile Forums UK, not onto a board that keeps these mammals as pets. I can see your side of things, I mean a snakes gotta eat, right? but coming onto the part of the forum where we gather to talk about our small animals wasn't a very considerate or well thought out plan. You should have probably gone to the reptile section first.

Don;t mean to sound rude here, just expressing my opinion.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

9. chynawhyte

Oh, and just so y'all know, the buck and doe's have houses, toys, and exercise ball, and they are taken out each day for exercise. I treat them as pets. I will also be selling for pets too, not just food.

10. chynawhyte

Have you bothered to read the heading of this forum? 'Rodents Discuss all topics related to Rodents including health and nutrition, the care and wellbeing of Rodents, breeding and all other aspects of owning Rodents. (Including Mice, Rats, Gerbils, Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Degus and any other Rodents)'

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Breeding. Care. Owning, which involves general care, hosuing, feeding etc. Not killing to feed a reptile. I don;t doubt that you do care for your mice in the short time they are alive (And obviously the parents) but this is just the wrong place to come and start talking about breeding to kill for food.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

#11 Akai-Chan, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  12. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

There was a person on here who bred mice to feed his friends reptiles and he upset so many people that he was banned.

I don't eat meat or fish. I would never set mouse traps, i would rather my cats took care of things, that's natural. That means that i'm not playing god.

We're not having a go at you :) We just saying that alot of people will get upset by your post.

13. lau02

lau02 PetForums Member

I have got to agree with every one else on this. I no they have got to eat but to put it on the same board as some people keeping mice . There is bound to be mixed responses to this.
    I do understand though.

14. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Might have been better to put this in the reptile chat.:mad:. you wouldn't ask how to skin a rabbit in the rabbit sec would you:eek:ut:

15. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

hi. i keep snakes myself and i agree that these mice can be expensive. i couldnt breed the mice myself as i get attatched a bit too easily but i went to an animal college that bred and culled their own mice, gerbils and rats so maybe you could contact one near you and ask them for some advice. They could show you how to sex them at an earlier age, but its not always fool proof so dont worry if you make mistakes every now and then. they will probably also tell you what products they use etc.

hope this helps.

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

to all opposed:

this is exactly the right place to ask where to breed mice (for any reason) not the reptile section in which only few people might also keep rodents.

the op obviously wants to make sure the mice are happy as possible before being humanely killed.. there is no difference to the op keeping and killing them humanely that buying them from a shop.

Op may already have posted on the reptile area and had no answer, have you checked? No, i bet you haven't, you just want to give your 2p with little regard to anyone else's feelings.

There is no need to jump down throats or get personal, if you don't like what this post is about it don't read it, it's as simple as that. Stop creating an argument and bad feelings on the forum... the op may not be the one who gets banned as they've said nothing to instigate your reactions.

calm down, think before you speak. help the op out with advice rather than useless critism and the mice might have a very nice comfy but short life rather than being bred on a miserable farm with no entertainment or proper space/accommodation.

Nonnie likes this.
  17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I hope that's true but I was watching something on youtube once and somebody had fed a live chicken to a snake and filmed it and it broke my heart to see the poor little chicken struggling to get out of the snakes mouth.:sad: I still think about that poor little chicken to this day.:( I also heard that live baby guinea pigs are fed to snakes too.

18. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think those who know me would say that I love all my animals and that includes my mice so I am probably going to shock a lot of people on here by saying that if I knew more about breeding mice then I would be helping the op myself, they have stated that their mice live clean, happy, enriched lives and it is a fact that rodents are being bred every day (usually in far from ideal conditions)to be feed to reptiles. I could not and would not ever do it myself which is the main reason I would not own a reptile but I would feel a lot happier knowing that a mouse had been well looked after and happy for its life, however long that is. If the op wasn't breeding mice then people would simply go elswhere to buy mice who had not had such a good life. Right I'm ducking for cover now .

19. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

As far as I'm aware, the op is asking on cleaning products so she can check to sexes to decide which mice to keep fpr breeding and which to kill. As far as I can tell (Correct me if I'm wrong) There's been no questions about care thusfar.

I checked. The op posted last night after I suggested they did. They also added on a little bit after the orignial post basically saying everyone in the small animal section is a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

I can;t blame people including myself for jumping down the op's throat. A small animal section isn't the best place to come to talk about killing mice. If the OP wanted advice that wouldn't cause arguments or upset, they should have gone to a reptile oriented fiorum where people probably have more expertise on these matters.

The op has been given advice by myself and some others , but again this probably wasn;t the best place to come for the particular subject.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't care for his/her pets. I'm sure they do, my point is though that there are forums out there dedicated to reptile keepers with a wealth of knowledge on subjects like these, i myself am a member of a few of them and can vouch for all the people in there with experience and willingness to help out. Coming onto a PETforum then mentioning culling in the small animal section was a bad plan. I did it once when I had my ferret and learned my lesson then, Now I completely understand how it can upset people on here.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

#19 Akai-Chan, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  20. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

That imo is someone who doesnt care for thier snake, a live animal can do some much damage to a snake it can kill it aswell.
    Rats have been know to eat the tails of snakes, then the snakes dies of infections, blood loss e.t.c And all because a stupid cruel owner thinks it good to feed live.

We use pre-killed and frozen foods and ever ever have a problem getting ours to eat, there are so many ways to get a snake to eat frozen food with being cruel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice