Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little help needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Luke neville, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Luke neville

Luke neville PetForums Newbie

Hello all I'm looking for a little help I have two staffordshire bull terrier 1 is 2 and the other is 3 years old last night I woke up to my 2 year old on top of my 3 year old biting her neck behind the ear. I jumped up and told her to drop and that was the end of it but the damage had been done the bite was a in and out not a grab and Shake. I feel asleep on the sofa 2 year old behind me and the 3 year old at my feet. What I have seen though the day after a walk the dogs laying down and rest when the 3 year old sleeps she simulates running in her sleep and vocal noses when this happens my 2 year old stands over her growling at her I am now scared to leave them together alown in the same part of the house so I have to split them up into different parts of the house. When she shows this behaviour when I'm awake I correct her strate away with a NO and she stops strate away but if I'm fast asleep this is hard to do as by the time I hear her she is on the 3 year olds neck the damage is done ( back of the ear not throat ) I've been trying to work out what is going on but I'm at a loss any help would be greatly appreciated .

#1 Luke neville, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

Wow! What an unusual problem. My only idea is to crate train the 2 year old and have it sleep in the crate at night so it can't physically get to the other one at night but I am sure there will be plenty of ideas from members of this forum.

Luke neville and Calvine like this.
  3. Luke neville

I'm at a loss of what to do that may help but there OK though the day it's night time when the 3 year old is asleep I'm trying to figure out what may be going though her head to cause this out burst of aggression and for it to be over soon as I get involved. I didn't really want to resort to locking her in a cage as I belive this may make things worse because of jealousy.

#3 Luke neville, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Ask your vet to refer you to a good behaviourist.

Aggression is difficult to advise about on a forum.

The dogs need to be assessed to try to understand what might be triggering the behaviour.

If they were mine, I would separate them when out or asleep just in case the behaviour suddenly escalates and one of them gets seriously hurt.

Luke neville and planete like this.
  5. Luke neville

OK I will look into that now thank you

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I can't work it out, are they both bitches? Problems can arise when bitches take a dislike to one another and start fighting or one attacking the other, it can be very difficult if not impossible to restore harmony once again.

Keep them apart when you are not able to supervise them and find a behaviourist who doesn't use dominance techniques.

If you make the crate a comfortable and nice place to be then it's will be a place where your younger dog likes to be and not a punishment place and unlikely to make her jealous.

Luke neville and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

So she only goes to bite when your older dog is dreaming? Is that correct? It's possible she finds the strange behaviour alarming, so is attempting to stop it due to fear. A bit like when people or dogs have fits and other dogs attack because they are scared. Definitely get a behaviourist in to see what they think, and split them up at night and when you're not around so it can't happen.

8. Luke neville

I think you may of hit the nail on the head the noise and movement's may scare her I did not think of that thank you

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Luke neville

I think Sarah H is right about this makes sense .

10. Luke neville

Thank you all for your help and a behaviourist is my first port of call in the morning.

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Sarah H beat me to it as I was just about to say the same thing. Just very occasionally over the past 40 years of owning dogs, if one is injured and screaming in pain I've had one of my other dogs go in on the injured one. I assume it's fear based. I would crate one of yours at night and hope that eventually your 2 yr old gets used to the strange noise.

Sled dog hotel and Luke neville like this.
  12. Luke neville

Thank you I found part of the Internet were people are nice.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Like the others if it only happens when the dog is vocalising and moving during sleep that the other attacks, then it does sound like she is freaked out about it and may be attacking her out of anxiety or fear. Only other suggestion if its just started happening, is are both the females spayed? Sometimes bitches who get on fine will often act up with each other more, when one is in season or coming into season too. Sometimes it can be the one that is getting more antsy with the one that isn't, or the other way round, so hormonal influences can often alter behaviour or the way they react to each other too.

Luke neville and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Luke neville

I thought it only right me updating the people who have taken time out of there day to help me. Good news so over the last couple of weeks / days ect iv been working hard to correct her behavior and from what i can see she is not attacking my other dog they sleep together again now and iv had no problem's since. All it has taken is and strong ( Leave ) I have been saying this when ever she growls at the my other dog and now she has not show any of the behavior previously seen. All im going to do is keep correcting her untill she know's that she can not do this. but as of now she is back to her norrmal self. Thank you all for the info and help it is gratefully appreciated.

Twiggy and Calvine like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice