Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little help/advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Darkangelwitch, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

So, little Rizzle is now 8 months old (not so little anymore) and we have three issues we just can’t seem to resolve:

1. Poo - she will eat poo (even to the point of eating it while still pooping)

2. Poo - she pick up the poo and brings it indoors

3. Biting - she is constantly biting the other two dogs

With regards to the “poo” issues, I am out in the garden poo picking almost constantly to try and stop her but it seems as soon as I clear up she goes out an poos again just to be able to eat it or bring it indoors.

As for the “biting”, we have tried telling her no, tried distraction but nothing is working and the other two dogs just will not tell her off.

Any advice you can give me will be most welcome.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

How many poos does she do in a day, and what is her diet?
    It might be relevant.

#2 Linda Weasel, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Loki used to be a chronic poo water he now sticks to horse and cat poop. What diet is Rizzle on ?

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Poo could be related to diet as others have said.

As for the biting, have you tried giving her a time out when she’s been too much with the other dogs? Like putting her behind a baby gate for a few seconds. You could attach a house line to her so when she’s been OTT you can immediately remove her, have you tried redirecting her onto something she can bite?

5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Can't help with the poop issues but I used to remove Hilde from the room if she continued to harass Hector as he never told her off ever as he is just too amenable, and then I'd let her back in and if she went to play/attack Hector she would go out again just for a few moments again until calm, she did learn quite quickly/grew out of it thankfully.

lorilu likes this.
  6. Darkangelwitch

She is on raw food diet (as are the other two) and she poos 2 or 3 times a day. They have all been on raw food for over 2 months now but the issue of her eating poo only started in the last 7 days.

She would be on a permanent time out LOL, she is fine while the others are laying down but the moment one moves she starts biting them. She doesn’t bite hard but I know it is annoying the other two, I just wish they would give her a telling off but they won’t.

7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Can’t help with a raw diet, sorry, because I’ve never fed it.

If it was kibble/commercial food I think I’d be looking at cutting down to two meals a day, at 8 months old so at least you’d have less poos to deal with.

I’m sure there will be advice shortly?

8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

She would soon get it if you removed her as soon as she started! She would learn that if the other dog moves and I harass them I get removed but if I stay calm I stay.

lorilu likes this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I know when you are your at your wits end, sometimes you think if only dogs will sort it out themselves but it really isn't the best way. Plus as you own terriers you know they can be tenacious little sods...

My Harley is slightly younger but is a chihuahua Cross yorkie and very much terrier in traits. She would quite happily play 24/7 with my dogs, but she's not allowed. She's allowed play with them if they want it but not otherwise. We did used to encourage her away, it's exhausting. However she does tend to be happy to engage with us...

The engagement with us I really worked on. I knew it was something I tried to do anyway but I couldn't quite remember why or where I had read it, about introducing a puppy and multidog households and its was Gwen Bailey in the book perfect puppy. It's been exhausting in some respects, as she recommend that for every 5 minutes of interaction a puppy has in a home with residents dog, I am sure you do 5 minutes more. So you are 'just as important, exciting' to a young dog. So when Harley thinks she should be playing with one of my resident dogs and they are not interested calling her name ragging a toy now for a minute. She's quite happy to continue alone in the majority of cases.

So you could work on amount of actual 'play' such as tug which terriers seem to love if you think that time out stopping all play will not workout. It should too.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm trying desperately to think how I stopped Loki from biting Sox he did sort of grow out of it. I redirected with a toy but also sox would walk out of the room with me and separate. He would never tell Loki off either he's a gentle soul.

11. Darkangelwitch

Thank you for all your replies, I will try to use time out more and also give her more human interaction, hopefully we can crack the biting issue.

With the poo issue I think all I can do is keep an eye every time any of them go out and keep clearing up immediately.

lullabydream likes this.
  12. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

How heavy is she and how much are you feeding her 3 poops a day seems a lot for a raw fed dog at 8 months old she should be having 5% of her body weight:)

Linda Weasel likes this.
  13. Darkangelwitch

She is just over 11kg now and has 400gms a day, which is less than the 500g they told me to feed her as it looked like a huge amount of food.

Her poops are quite small (certainly a lot less than when they were on kibble) - I think she doesn’t do her whole poop at one time (too excited to concentrate) so usually goes just after breakfast (6am) then again at about 8am when I go down to get a coffee and last one after her supper at 6pm.

14. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

5% of 11kg is 550g maybe she is poo eating as she is hungrey:)

15. Darkangelwitch

Hmm possibly, I will up her food for a while and see how it goes.

16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

But only until she learns. Be consistent, if you have to get up and remove her every 5 minutes, do it. She'll learn eventually, and then you won't have to do it any more.

Darkangelwitch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice