Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A little bemused?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MobyDog, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MobyDog

MobyDog PetForums Newbie

I am not sure if I am being taken for a ride or not and thought i would put this on here to see if anyone else thinks so.....
    My lovely dog had a fight with a cat on bank holiday Monday, he slashed his upper lip and required 7 stitched.
    We went to the vet at 17.00 our dog was taken away and stitched up, they had to knock him out and by 17.35 he was back with us after being stitched and woken up. He had a course of antibiotics and has to go back in 14 days to have stitches out which is free! The bill has been done and its £320.00 I was also told this was a reduced rate! Is this a good price or not. I have horse and in relation it wouldn't have cost that much and my horse vet would have come to me. I understand and appreciate that vets train for a long time and I pay for a skill and profession.

2. jon bda

jon bda Guest

About right i would have thought...
    :)

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

Sounds about right

But vet prices are way to high most are just looking to make a quick profit

4. FrankieT

FrankieT PetForums Member

I would have thought thats about average, even though it is a huge amount. Hope his feeling OK now.

5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Roz had a fight with a cat and it cost us about £400 for 23 stitches (she also had to be knocked out) plus all the antibiotics. A couple of the wounds wouldnt heal up and had to go back and have them stapled. Vet tried to charge extra for this but i argued and said they should have stapled them in the first place so they let me off!

6. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

I had to pay £295 for 10 minutes of stitches under anesthetic, which promptly burst the next day.
    Nipped him back and they numbed the spot up and put 4 staples in £18 :rolleyes:
    But that wasn't anywhere near his face it was on his side.

7. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Interesting subject this.
    Judging by the above post that seems about right.
    I would like to know if there is a big difference in pricing structure between cats and dogs.
    I ask because late last year Candy (cat) had to have her second thyroid removed and bearing in mind the difference between having stitches and having an invasive operation which also involved an overnight stay because of her age.
    Stitches around £300, Candy’s bill was less than £250.
    Seems a major difference to me.
    I know I haven't worded this very well but I hope you get my drift.:biggrin:

8. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Think thats really expensive so he was only being treated for half an hour:eek:

I've never had to take my dogs to the vets though for emergancy treatment so I guess I don't know.

But my bill for Sasha's spay op was 122.00 and that included her being microchipped while she was under. So That was for mircrochipping, the spay op, A post op check up 3 Days after and stitch removal a week later.

9. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

would say its about average, bank holiday so assume done as an emergency which would cost more too and the anaesthetic tends to be pretty pricey

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

My first question is: Who was the vet? Was it your usual vet or one that they have an Out of Hours arrangement with?

Out of Hours service is always much more than normal but, adding in a bank holiday too, you can expect the price to go up again. So, tbh, given these circumstances, I don't think it is way OTT.

You should find out how much they would have charged for a normal day service and compare the two.

11. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

On my bill break down the anesthetic was about £150 the stitching was about £70 and the antibiotics and pain killers were around £75.
    Anesthetic was billed on weight of dog 20-40kg
    Lovely expensive pain killers.
    A dog castration at the same practice cost me £200
    and yes I did have idiot tattoed on my forehead
    now if its something minor that comes under the insurance threshold I nip em to the vet in the village he does the basics and is much cheaper :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice