Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A limit on the number of cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Ive been reading a newspaper essay about how the region i live in has put a limit on the number of cats a house hold can own which last month they made the limit 3 cats per house hold and if u have 40 acres or more the u can have as many as u want.

Right now i have decker,horris and tidbit all which are registered at my vets but i live with my mom who also has a cat kira but kira has never been to the vets and no sees her as she is terrified of everything and wont come out until nighttime.

My cats are indoors and dont cause any problems for the people living around me. So basically im breaking the law and could be fined and have one of my cats taken away if someone wanted to report me.

But my question is how many cats do u have and what do u think should be the limit on them per house hold?

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

we have no limits,you should only have as many as you can afford to properly keep:)we have 10 +12 kittens

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have had 4 cats but only have 3 now, I look after them very well, they are deflead, wormed, insured and taken to the vets when required. I think providing your cats are not causing a problem to other people and are well cared for you should be able to have as many as you want. How would this new rule affect breeders who may have several queens, pets and stud cats not to mention the kittens. In parts of China there is now a 1 dog rule which has left people around the world horrified, I think this 3 cat rule is too close to that for comfort.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

This is ridiculous!

As long as you can afford to care for, house, feed and treat the animals you own there should be no limit at all.

I currently only have one cat, with another soon to come but I have fostered 5 cats at once before with no problems at all.

How would this affect breeders in the area?

Do stud cats in enclosed runs count, how about kittens that are born?

It could make life very difficult for some people.

5. Miss.PuddyCat

22 cats :eek: (correct me if i read that wrong) lol cat heaven :)

It doesnt mention anything about the breeders in the are just the number of cats per house hold and the land area u need to have to be able to have more. A few people i know, know about this rule and are telling me to give tidbit up because im breaking the law ( also some of them dont like pets :()

Ill see if i can dig up more info on it but i dont want to post the link because it mentions my town and region i live in :)

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

thats awful. i am sitting with 3 cats and 3 kittens just now and the possibility of taking in more through fostering. I would be devistated if i was told to give up my babies

7. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 6 cats. i dont think theres a limit round here

i think you can have as many as you like as long as they are all clean and well looked after

8. Miss.PuddyCat

The Township gave the nod to the new rules on Monday to "bring () into provincial compliance", said Debbie Leroux, clerk, who also oversees animal control. The regulations clarify rules for dogs running at large in the municipality, and also include changes to kennel licensing, adjustment of fees related to dog tags and impoundment, and a limit on the number of cats that can live in a dwelling.

The bylaw sets the bar at three cats per home, with no restrictions for rural properties larger than four hectares.

Because there is no requirement to license cats in, the monitoring of felines living in residences would be on "a complaint basis", said Ms. Leroux. Residents who already have more than three cats would be allowed to keep them, she said.

The bylaw reiterates the restriction on the number of dogs per home, which is two, or three for rural properties larger than four hectares. Meanwhile, a new fee schedule related to dog licensing was introduced at the meeting. "There has been no significant increases in costs since 1990," said the clerk.

In the proposed changes, which will be revisited by council at the end of June, the cost of a dog tag will increase to $20 for a neutered canine and $30 for an unaltered dog. The cost to impound a dog running at large would be $40 for a licensed pet and $50 for unlicensed, with an additional $15 per day "care fee." The new fees for tags and impoundment are double what they are currently posted as on the Township's website

Ingrid Svelnis, chief administrative officer, said the Township has recently received a number of calls relating to unleashed dogs in Park and there's a concern "that someone might be hurt.

"You never know what can happen if the dogs get beyond the reach (of the owner)."

Owners charged with letting dogs run at large can face a fine as well as impoundment fees, explained Ms. Leroux previously.

A Township contractor, Animal Licensing Services, will begin knocking on household doors in early July to sell dog tags. Since the licensing fees are to rise, the amount of commission payable to the contractor will drop from 66 per cent to 40 per cent, noted Ms. Leroux.

"The contractor sold 220 tags in a very short time span in 2008," she said.

The most significant changes relating to kennels is the classification of kennels into boarding, breeding and private, "expanding on the licensing requirements ... to more accurately reflect the administrative costs," noted Ms. Leroux. She said while "a number of our existing licensed kennels may not comply with the new kennel bylaw", those already licensed can apply to the Township's animal services committee for an exception.

so basically this came in effect last month so since i got tidbit nearly two months after im still braking the law. Im trying to find away around. I guess i could lie about her age.

#8 Miss.PuddyCat, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yikes, I have no idea. I had workmen out when the kittens were here and they were too busy oooing and ahhhing to think about how many were running around.

I can pretend Tilly isn't mine. She does this to me. I will have to have a look and see now.

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

There has been a lot of talk about this sort of thing on US cat lists, apparently it's now an issue in Canada as well. The welfare problems in the short term will be horrific :(

It does say it's on a complaint basis so unless there are complaints you will be OK.

Those in the UK - there is certainly no law that applies here, unless there aere specific local by-laws but that is unlikely. The issue here is "nuisance" - if the neighbours complain, the local council send in the environmental health. Then it takes ages to get to court and most of the time you can sort it out beforehand. I came close once, still have an official caution on my record. I know someone who was found guilty but she had 18 cats and most were free range. I doubt if many of use need to worry. It's gardeners' hatred of outdoor cats that is the issue, usually.

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Note to all those panicking - the OP lives in Canada!

12. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Phew!

What a stupid rule all the same why does it matter how many cats you have?

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

It's ridiculous, I'd tell them where to shove it (in no polite terms)! lol

To the OP, I'd lie about her age ... ;)

14. Miss.PuddyCat

Im sorry if i panicked anyone :eek: i just wanted to see what people's opions about it was. I'd love to keep tidbit i really do but im being pushed to give her up because of the new law so im not sure how much longer i will have her :(

there is a nice lady that i have been told of that is looking for a kitten but she has memory loss and tends to forget things so im kinda worried shell forget to shut the door or feed her or something.

15. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

A totally ludicrous law and I would imagine impossible to enforce.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice