Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A hedgehog....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cazza1974, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

We have a hedgehog living in either our communal garden or next doors. 2 nights in a row we have seen it. It has been going to the care home next door, that has closed down as there are rubbish bags outside the back door. It went in there last night and me and Katie sat and watched it for ages.
    There was also a ginger tom hanging about as well, so he must've known that the hedgehog was there.
    I have never really seen one that close and it was wonderful to see, just unfortunate that it was going through rubbish bags to find food.

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

When I lived in London, there was an old hedgehog used to cut through our garden every night. He was a right big b*gger and you could hear him snuffling away as he passed the window. My cats used to just sit & watch him as he made his nightly foray into the gardens.

If you felt inclined to put food down for this hedgehog, this site provides lots of useful information re food etc. This way there would be less risk of it suffocating, or choking, on a plastic bin bag. :)

British Hedgehog Preservation Society

#2 MoggyBaby, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Leave some hedgehog pallets out for it. Or some dried meal worms. If all else fails PM me and I will put you in touch with someone who rescues wild hedgehogs.

4. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will get some mealworms and put them in the garden. How many do I put out at a time?:eek:

5. A handful incase the little fella has family there.
    Dry meal worms are best because live ones will attract birds. :)
    I get paid next week so if the little guy is still around then PM me and I will send you some hedgehog food for him.

6. Katielizziewenno

Katielizziewenno PetForums Newbie

ha ha it was a really nice too see the hedgehog oh yeah and you missed out the silver cat that was hanging about too xx

7. Katielizziewenno

Katielizziewenno PetForums Newbie

that might explain the wholes in the garden, mam then it might of been looking for meal worms lol

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Em(eroswoof) is the one to talk to i am sure she rescues them:D

i will send her the link

juliex

9. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Leave out some chicken cat food. We've had the same hedgehog come here for 5 years. He has a stripe on his side so we know it's the same one. He was really thin this year when he came back but we gave him extra food and he's back to his usual fat self :D (We don't actually know if it's male just we seem to guess all animals are male ;))

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Apart from meat based cat food, if you can put some cat biscuits out it'd be brilliant because it really helps their teeth :D Never put milk out.

If you can encourage him into your garden then he'll herd your bugs up :lol:

Congratulations on your hoggy friend :D

Em
    xx

11. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

We've got one in our close as well, he's been there for the past 3 or 4 nights, was sat outside our front door last night. They are beautiful!

12. petzplazaUK

petzplazaUK PetForums Senior

we had one in the garden last year , i found it because the dogs were mothering it (nudging and following and wouldnt leave its side).
    i put some cat biscuits down ( and water )and he must have been so hungry he ate them in front of me, didnt seem bothered i was there just wanted the food, i kept putting the food down til it wasnt being taken and havnt seen him this year.
    i remember my last german shepherd bringing one into her room to look after (she hada utility type room to herself with a sofa to sleep on and she tucked him up on there , luckily seen him in being brought in and put him back outside , theyre funny to watch, they actually move pretty fast too, used to see the more recent one bombing around the garden as it started to get dark

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice