Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A half check collar - how tight/loose should it be?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by classixuk, Aug 2, 2009.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Morning all,

Yesterday, I bought a half check collar for Paddy (on the advice of 2 breeders).

I popped it on him, but I am unsure how tight/loose it should be?

At the moment, it is very loose (so as not to mark his fur). When I put the lead on him, if he pulls, it closes to the circumference of a normal collar.

Should it be slightly tighter, or have I got it right?

Thanks!

P.S. Paddy has been growing again. He's over 3 stone now and his appetite is soaring! It's quite freaky watching a puppy grow so quickly. The funniest thing is when we are in the park and we see the other puppy owners from time to time. They tend to look a bit shocked when they see Paddy from week to week. He is now towering above their puppies!
    I am also noticing that owners whom we haven't yet met, of full grown smaller breed dogs (King Charles Spaniels etc.), are kind of avoiding us as we approach them on our walks. :(
    It's a shame, because Paddy is only just over 4 months old and wants to play/explore, but I guess these people must just see a rather large dog. Is this the curse of owning a larger breed puppy? That 'some' (not all) smaller breed owners will avoid you like the plague?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It should be that when pulled, the two D rings dont meet.

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Hmmm...OK then. I think that means I have it too loose.

So basically, when pulled, it should get slightly tighter, and if pulled a lot, it has the capacity to get tighter again before loosening immediately? Is that correct?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes. Its a training collar, designed to apply pressure for a split second, then released. It works like a choke chain, but is safer as it has a limit to how tight it can get.

They should only be used when training, and not left of the dog.

5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I see Nonnie.

This is making sense.

Both breeders told me that the normal collar I had purchased would mark Paddy's fur, and recommended I buy the half-check collar.

So I am guessing they meant that it can be used when we go out, and then taken off when we get back in?

Paddy's head is quite large in relation to his neck though. Any tips for slipping it on and off, without having to go through the loosening and tightening each time (which took forever yesterday)?

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know you already bought a half choke, but pets at home sell them and they have a quick release buckle/clip to put them on and off easier :)

Paddy is gorgous. He must be getting Huge now? :D

x

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No. I have the same problem with my SBT :)

If you dont want to mark his coat, then dont use a collar in the house. If hes just wearing it for walks, it shouldnt cause any damage as he will only be wearing it for a short period of time.

Im sure there are other collars that prevent fur damage, but i havent a clue what they are.

8. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Thanks Poison! I shall check that out. The extra cost (I am able to usually get my pet supplies and food at wholesale prices) will be worth it to avoid having to adjust the collar at least twice a day!

And Yep, Paddy is getting huge now! I have just taken a pic of him for you to see.

When we first got Paddy, within a few days he developed a 'thing' for my sandals. I think it was because we were having all that hot weather, so my sandals were worn daily and must have literally reeked of my smell. So I have taken a pic of him today next to my UK size 8 sandals so that you can see the difference in his size.

This first pic isn't posed (promise) - it's just what he likes to do (or liked to do back then) i.e. either stick his paw or his nose in my sandals and go to sleep.

Paddy at 3 months old

[​IMG]

And here he is today with the same sandal next to him (which unfortunately, he can no longer get his head into) - Paddy at 4 and a half months old

[​IMG]

And just for a real size comparison, here is a token pic of our other pet, Tigger - an 11 year old moggy (who is Paddy's boss)! :)

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are they born naturally tail-less?

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we have it so its very loose when not in use but if he pulls the rings at each end meet for the time he pulls,

11. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Hi Nonnie,

Well, yes...SOME Bouvs are born naturally tail-less, but not all.

Paddy came from a champion line over in Ireland, so was customarily docked at birth (it is legal and standard in Ireland for dogs in the "Working breed" group i.e. Boxers, Bouviers etc. to be docked within days of birth).

If it had been my choice, I would not have opted for the docking but hey, he came this way (I was about 9 weeks too late to request him undocked), and I love him to bits.

I wonder how many other peeps here own a legally docked dog? I might start a thread after I've made a cuppa!

With a ti

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats interesting. I used to know 2 Bouviers when i worked in kennels. One had a tail, one was born tail-less.

They are lovely dogs, bit bouncy for me, but maybe that was just Cookie and Bo-Bo, who were complete nutters.

13. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

If the only reason your using a half check is so his fur isn't marked you could get him a rolled leather collar, I have shelties and the rolled leather collars are the only ones that don't make a mess of their ruff, all other collars including half checks rip their fur and make it black.

Terri

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am afraid that is not correct. You should be able to just slip it comfortably over the dogs head and it should fit pretty much like a normal collar when it is on (slightly looser but not very loose). The rings should never meet or it cant work. The idea is that you use it like a check chain so when the dog pulls you check it back and it then instantly releases. If you have the rings meeting it will act as an ordinary collar and choke the dog when it pulls. If you dont want a check collar then use a flat collar because obviously there is a longish end on the check collar which can easily get caught so you are putting your dog at risk for no good reason.

15. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

just a little warning about the half choke chains with the clips for putting n and taking off.. these can snap if you have a strong dog .. Ozzy's snapped, but thankfully we were not near any busy roads.. I would never have one of these type now and only have the ones that go over the head

juliex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice