Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A grumble

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Boxer123, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Two days in a row I have had small dogs running up to us barking back and forth. The boxers were actually both quite well behaved and just strained on the lead looking at them.

I just wouldn't dream of letting my dogs do that as it would scare people. Mine were on leads both times grrr.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I feel your pain.

Why do people with little dogs think the rules don’t apply to them.

My dog was run at by a yapping chihuahua in a pink skirt. When the owners finally caught up they thought it was funny, whereas one proper snap from my dog would probably have killed it.

Hoomans are just stupid sometimes.

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This is what makes me wonder but they can't get them back even when they try. They could run up to a very aggressive dog. Also it means mine get all riled up. I need to go back to 4 am walks but don't have my Lily alarm anymore.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. MattMill

MattMill PetForums Newbie

It's also annoying when people pick up their dogs assuming because yours is a staffy/Bull terrier they are going to maule their dog!

I always make a point of telling them how friendly these breed of dogs are. It's the owners not the dogs!

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

We have loads of Staffies round here most are soft as butter and I've not had any incidents with them most seeem to potter along by there owner even if the boxers are being a pain. It's been smaller terrier type dogs who have been harassing us the past couple of days.

6. MattMill

MattMill PetForums Newbie

They are so soft staffys! The little dogs are definitely the ones that seem more interested in a scrap! :)

I know what you mean, imagine the other way round if your boxers confronted these people's dogs, they'd definitely have something to say!

7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

It happens when you have tiny dogs. You wonder why anyone would think it acceptable to allow an off lead dog to run over to a 4kg dog. She could easily be killed by a dog that was ‘just being friendly’. My older dog has been ragged by a staffy that ran down a hill to get him and nipped by a husky. I blame the useless owners.

8. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Totally understand where you are coming from. My girls are small breed but we get moidered to death by jack russells generally. Olive is very friendly and will put up with a lot but I know when she starts jumping up for me to pick her up, she’s had enough. Saffy is 12 and not as steady on her feet as she used to be, we also have to walk slowly with her as she just doesn’t have the energy or the lung capacity to go at any great speed. Why owners think it is acceptable for their idiotic puppy to jump all over my old lady I will never know. The strap line of “he only wants to play” is wearing thin and a few times this week I’ve had to shout “my dog is poorly, please recall your dog” it’s unacceptable that owners don’t have common courtesy towards other dog walkers especially when my girls are on lead

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes lots of useless owners I never let mine approach small dogs Sox is such a big lump I worry he would tread on them. I shouted no at the two today and they seemed to listen and back off.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

These dogs didn't seem friendly at all. Your poor old girl. Loki will take off given half a chance so he is on a long line at the moment.

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  11. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

You’d be surprised how many people do let their dog bound over when she is so tiny. I think your perspective is based on the size/age of your dog rather than it being a little/big dog issue.

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

That must be a worry. My walk today we do not normally see anyone else so they go off for a trot. I spotted the dogs and got mine in a lead.

Sox is actually quite scared of small dogs he never knows what to make of them. I don't think he knows he is big.

Jobeth likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t think it matters what size they are - owners shouldn’t allow their dogs to run up to other dogs uninvited - period! ;)

Sairy, NFC slave, Gemmaa and 9 others like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_7749.JPG
    Sox would like to agree he has enough troubles with little puppers at home never mind other dogs.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

big or small, and ive housed both together with no problems
    the fault is with the owner/handler
    not with the size of the dog

NFC slave, Gemmaa, kimthecat and 3 others like this.
  16. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’ve said many a time on here how much this annoys me!!
    Today I was on my group walk with 3 dogs, one was Teds, i saw a group of dogs ahead and popped them all onlead as I like my dogs to stay with me and not be running about with every dog they see. Anyway amongst the group of dogs (it was another dog walker) was a person with their little terrier. It ran straight over to us and wouldn’t leave us alone. I know all my dogs are friendly but I always have Teds on a short lead as he is reactive, so I try and use the other dogs as a bit of a distraction but the other dog still came bowling over to Teds and he obviously barked and carried on at it.

It’s annoying because Teds reactivity is getting much better. And if a dog isn’t interested in him he can walk past very nicely now but if the other dog comes over I have a hard time distracting him (especially if I have other dogs with me) and he then gets frustrated and starts barking and winds himself up. Worst thing is the owners see that initially Teds is quite friendly so think it’s all fine even though I make it clear I’m trying to keep him away and then when he gets wound up and almost flattens the dog I get the dirty look.....

Sorry rant of my own there! Poor you and the boxers. Some owners just don’t care or don’t understand that it’s not acceptable for dogs to run over to every dog they see!

17. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I agree, most round here are “friendly” labs, unfortunately mine has a real issue with in your face...but sadly being the stronger dog we are usually seen as the troublemakers...

18. Lyracollie

Lyracollie Crazy hamster lady

It's irritating, if your dog isn't reliable off leash around other dogs then put it on one. :rolleyes:

I never had to worry about my dog running up to others until I got Pippa, she's a bugger for it but I always call her back and put her on leash before she annoys anyone (unless they're okay with the dogs playing), Lyra's always just ignored other dogs and it's a lot easier that way.

19. Allybean11

Allybean11 PetForums Junior

I hate this! I had a small Pomeranian run from the other side of a field, barking and NIPPING at the legs of Tilly. I tried so hard to keep her attention on me and just kept walking away, but the dog kept following us and the owner was just strolling slowly towards us across a large field. The thing that annoys me the most, is that if Tilly reacted really badly (as she is the bigger dog) guess who’d be at fault?! Ergh! Annoying!
    Sometimes just a word with the owners works wonders at keeping their dogs away from you the next time they see you as a lot of people don’t like confrontation. (However, I am yet to do that myself! Lol)

Boxer123 likes this.
  20. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

Sorry not all Staffies are soft about three years ago my husband was walking my two poodles and there was a man on the other side of the road on his mobile phone with a brown female staffie which he had on an extending lead.The staffie yanked the lead out of his hand and rushed at my dogs and bit Rusty on his back which required about 5 stitches and a £250.00 bill which the owner would not pay (we saw him walking the dog the next day) and asked him to pay the bill and he just laughed and said it was an an accident and anyway you don’t know where I live. A couple of years earlier Pepe my other poodle was attacked by a Labrador Rottweiler cross also on a lead with a litter mate so the woman couldn’t control them Pepe was fortunately wearing a coat at the time as it was raining as the vet said he would most likely have been a goner if the dog had been able to get a proper hold on him. As it was he suffered a broken rib and damage to his stomach wall which had to be repaired. Once again the owner wouldn’t pay the bill which was nearly £600.00 pounds she paid about £111.00 which was the first bill. We went to court with her as she had been reported previously and told to muzzle them both which she obviously hadn’t. I got nothing and she got a £40.00 bill and a list of restrictions including muzzling,she had them both put down 2 years later after trying to rehome them without telling prospective new owners about the behavioural problems they had. Pepe was also attacked a couple of years before by a horrible border terrier in the forest it just ran at him an attacked I got bitten fortunately not seriously rescuing Pepe who didn’t stand a chance, he wasn’t hurt that time but none of these attacks were provoked at all by my dogs. I have since seen the staffie and it is still being walked on an extending lead, when I still had my dogs the owner would walk the other way if he saw us coming so he must have felt guilty. I sadly lost my darling boys last year due to illness as you probably already know. I disagree that it is always the small dogs that are to blame as the big ones can be as bad it is the owners who should keep better control of their dogs.

#20 ttaylor45, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Victoria Sylvester likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice