Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

"A frustrating case"....

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sunflower404, Jan 7, 2008.


  1. sunflower404

    sunflower404 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    ...these have been the words of my vet after several blood tests, swabs and xrays have returned negative.

    I would appreciate anyones thoughts or advice about my cat. She first had symptoms 4-5 months ago when i noticed slight coughing when she ate. It then remained stable until about 6weeks later and she began sneezing. this progressed to sneezing blood and a wheezing sound to her breathing. We took her to the vets at this point and were given antibiotics which seemed to ease things, but as soon as these were stopped it came back with a vengence.
    She now gulps when she swallows, has bad nasal congestion and the best way i can describe it is she sounds like Darth Vadar when she breathes. Its a real rasping sound from the back of the throat. She continues to sneeze blood too. Despite this she still wants to play and still wants to eat. Altho, she now won't touch any kind of tempting wet food. She had gone off food altogether last week, but with much persistance she is now eating dry food regularly which is a relief. The poor little mite has put up with having antibiotics daily for the past 6 weeks and metacam squirted into her throat. But alas, still no improvement in her symptoms.

    If anyone has any thoughts or has heard of similar symptoms please please let me know!! My thanks in advance for any replies.
     
  2. Siamese Kelly

    Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    107
    Has your vet suggested cat flu? Please try not to panic as their are many forms of cat flu and some are treatable. Also get in touch with the person/s you got her from and see what they say. Good luck:)
     
  3. Why dont Vets suggest a lungs x-ray? Or - it those medications didnt worked - may be it a lung worms? Does her body temperature normal?
     
  4. may

    may PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1,413
    Likes Received:
    47
    I have heard of a kitten sneezing blood on another board :(
    The kitten was put on Synulox for 7 days and this worked :)
    has your Kitten had this antibiotic?
     
  5. sunflower404

    sunflower404 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi all, Many thanks for your replies - i appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
    The vet assures me she's been checked for everything!! Its so baffling. The latest is that a second opinion has suggested a nasal biopsy and an MRI if the drugs don't work. We're probably going to go for the MRI - pricey, but will hopefully get to the bottom of it.
    She's had lung xrays and been told they are 'perfect' and the vets have even taken a copy for their own records to use at presentations.
    ....as for antibiotics, she was started on marbocyl then changed to ronoxan, then to synulox. No improvement with these drugs. Shes now back on the marbocyl, along with another antibiotic called antirobe. She on metacam still and now a mucolytic. poor thing...
    we're back to the vets tomorrow, so we'll see what happens....:(

    thanks again all.
     
    Anele Jessica likes this.
  6. Siamese Kelly

    Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    107
    Oh dear-my heart and good wishes go out to you both:)Keep strong,she'll surprise you i'm sure as kitty's that seem to go down hill at a steady speed also have a great habit of turning that much valued corner and getting in your face just as you'd want them too:)
     
  7. sunflower404

    sunflower404 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thanks Siamese Kelly...and I do hope you're right. After seeing the vet yesterday its been decided to go for the biopsy and MRI. Just waiting for a date now...
     
  8. Siamese Kelly

    Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    107
    Aah- try and be strong, and hopefully these tests will be able to tell you whats going on and enable you to help, i will say a little prayer for her and when she's feeling up to working her tusch for the camera you have to post her fan club(us) a picture:)Thinking of you both during this very worrying time:)
     
  9. sunflower404

    sunflower404 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Quick update - we've gone thru the MRI scans and biopsy at an animal health trust and have been given the worst possible scenario. Our beautiful cat has an incurable tumour at the back of her nose :(

    The vet has suggested radiotherapy but this will only add a few more months onto her life in which she would still continue to struggle with her symptoms. We've decided to provide her with some quality of life and not put her through anymore trips in the carrier. She's still quite bright and still eating for now, altho we fear the symptoms worsening and making that very awful decision to end her suffering. Seems so unfair with her being only 4yrs old...really heart breaking. Its so rare for a cat to have this at her age and it was always dismissed in the early days so its been a real shock to now be facing the unimaginable. Thank you for your comments anyway, and its been good to have a place to read and offload a bit about the process.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice