Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A footpath question.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by moonviolet, Jan 23, 2012.

1. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I was just wondering, when walking along a public footpath that goes through open fields (no livestock) do you allow your dog to stray from the footpath? if you do, is it only where it's clearly grass or do you do this in crop fields too. Just interested.

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I think a lot of damage could be done to crops by allowing dogs and owners to walk through them. Another thing to bear in mind is that a field with rapeseed could potentially be dangerous to dogs.

I walk through fields that have been harvested and have no crops left.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I try not to - but if I'm honest they do stray a bit :eek:
    I keep them off crops though and if I think Lilly has mischief in her eyes I keep her on her flexi.

4. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

Most/all the field around us are livestock fields, when empty Major can go where he likes, usually chasing his ball that I am thowing, however if there are livestock in the field or a field he could run to, then he is on lead.

5. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

If its grass and no cattle etc then Jaz can wander but if the path is through crops she has to walk at heel as I think it is unfair on the farmer otherwise.
    Thinking more, I am sure that the puplic right of way on a footpath through a field is only for the footpath and tramping crops is trespassing... does anyone know for sure? :001_unsure:

6. JonoBeagle

JonoBeagle PetForums Member

Definitely only on the footpath and never on the field; including when empty and only grass. I wouldn't want a finickety landowner coming over and giving me a hard time... If they gave permission when there is no livestock, then that would be fine... Even in the woods in France, we keep Boris on lead because a lot of things happen there.

BMX runs in the mountains; un-fenced farmland, unfenced properties, rtc, etc... Also if he finds a smell I can't see him, in a field at least I can see where he is and go in that direction.

To be fair most landowners I've spoken to, don't mind as long as he isn't harassing the animals when they are there. Generally it is the sheep that bully Boris. :rolleyes:

7. DT

DT Banned

We try to keep to the path, and I believe legally that you should - that is assuming we are talking a right of way footpath which I understand that we are legally permited to use to get from A to B. Not for excercising the dog in whilst passing through

8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I let him go if no crop.... or harvested already..anyway - it is Spain...but do not let him go too far...vultures!....eagles!! he is small...:w00t:

9. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

The basics of footpath law can be found here Basics of footpath law | Home | Ramblers, Britain's Walking Charity

'You and your dog in the countryside' has been produced as a joint venture between Natural England and the Kennel Club as a guide to acting responsibly when enjoying the countryside with your dog. It includes guidance on where you can go, travelling, protecting the environment, keeping your dog healthy, and details of other organisations who can provide further information and support. You can download the pdf filke here You and your dog in the countryside

10. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

On the farm i have permission to walk Tummel in any field i choose as long as there's no livestock in it. In the grass fields i let Tummel run if i'm sure theres not been any livestock in recently(he will roll in poo if it's there and quite fresh) and the farmer kindly leaves a strip of land going around the crop fields which i keep Tummel to but he doesn't often go into the crops(he loves to run down the tractor rutts then right back up). Most of the crops on the farm are wheat or barley but we do have some potato fields.

In Pittenweem i keep Tummel to the paths unless the fields have been harvested, same on the farm :p

11. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Thanks for this I didn't put it in on purpose . Simply because I wanted to know what people do in practise. I've seen a few pics on here of dogs charging through newly planted/young crops:nonod:

12. Fleur

Guilty as charged :eek:

One of my failed attempts to keep them to the path :eek:
    [​IMG]

13. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Zipper looks decidedly deaf in that pic :rolleyes:

14. Fleur

It's strange it's just this little bit they both stray - Zipper rarely goes off a path he doesn't like to get his paws dirty :rolleyes: - I think because there is no defined path along the bottom of this field.
    Once we start to go up the edge then the path is very clear and they stick to it, and a little further up they have to go on lead anyway until we reach the other side of the farm.

15. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Oh dear I think I might be guilty too.:eek: I thought this was just long grass,but is it a crop of some sort.:confused:
    [​IMG]

16. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I have to say that yes I do let them stray from the path and into crops. If a property is overlooking the field i'm walking in then I make my dogs stick to the path as i'm aware neither them or I should be straying from the footpath, but if where we are walking isnt overlooked then I let them get on with it.

I have to say however that I generally dont walk in crop fields as we dont really have any round here, they are usually filled with livestock, or I tend to walk in woods, areas of scrubland/wasteland etc.

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I don't allow mine to go through crops, but they do go off path all the time. Mainly because where i walk the pathways are non-existent as hardly anyone uses them, so its pretty much guess work as to where they go. A few times we've traipsed around randomly for awhile, trying to find out where to go next.

Unless a dog is constantly on a short lead, i don't see how a dog could possibly stay on a path anyway. I know a few do naturally, but the majority havent the mental capacity to understand the concept of a footpath.

18. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

The field where we walk has small right of way footpath on the corner the rest is private, its a crop field and the farmer doesnt mind people dog walking as long as the stick to the edges or the walked path down the middle, i let grizz off the lead there but he sticks close to me on the walked down path as its easier to walk on than ploughed mud.

19. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I try to get mine to keep off the crops but I will let them deter from the footpath if it's just grass. Sometimes they do run into the crop a little at the edges but I grew up on a farm and no one ever minded the dogs going into the crop. Heavy rain and wind do much more damage than dogs can.

20. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I agree entirely

I'm not judging or commenting anyone I was just intrigued following a conversation with someone this morning about the dog related rules and laws that are more socially acceptable to bend, then I saw a few crop related photos and thought it was worth discussing. We all agree that dogs should be on lead on pavements and that we should clear up after our dogs etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice