Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Fool and his/her money are soon parted

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Wildmoor, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

I have just heard elsewhere that someone as just paid 1500 pounds for a Liver pup from a breeder who breeds just for colour and will breed off dog/bitch no matter what the results of any health tests are.
    When will people learn, where you get one defect/mutation you will get others.
    First will be dogs name, then colour it produced then defect implicated with:
    Vello zu den Sieben-Faulen - white - dwarfism
    Canto von der Wienerau (grson of above) - blue - Heamophillia, crytorchidism, missing teeth
    Uran v Wildsteiger Land - blue - dwarfism, although he produced good hips his sons did not
    Avon Prince of Alumvale - white - Epilepsy, cryptorchidism, linked to extreme angulation and loose hocks
    Gerolf of Brittas - white - weak backs, colour paling, missing teeth, cryptorchidism
    Allegro of Seacroft - white - Epilepsy
    Barry v Status Quo - blue - Epilepsy
    Rosehurst Chris - blue - dwarfism implicated in epilepsy
    Delridge Erhard - liver - Epilepsy
    Druidswood Consort - blue - Epilepsy
    Marko v Cellerland - liver - dwarfism
    The problem is the majority of those that breed for non standard colour have done incestuous breedings to achieve these colours and will breed of known affected dogs that have Epilepsy, Canine Dilution Alopecia etc just to keep producing these colours
    Quadrille of Eveley (1964-68), his son Hendrawens Charade of Charavigne (1966-69) and his son Eclipse of Eveley (b1967) all produced fitters and Eclipse had a sister which fitted.
    Quadrille was inbred 4.5.5/5.4.4. on Avon Prince of Alumvale (1948-47).
    Charade was inbred 3/2 on Ludwig of Charavigne and had 8 lines to Avon Prince
    Eclipse was inbred 6.7.7.7.6.6.5.6/6.5.5. on Avon Prince so instead of diluting they concentrated the affects.

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

At the same time, many "non-standard" colours have no effect on health. Limiting colours to just those according to "breed standards" actually limits the breeds gene pool and potentially causes additional genetic defects. Swings and roundabouts isn't it.

From the Institute of Canine Biology:
    My understanding is that poodle breeders in the UK are aware of the issue and those that really care about the breed are doing something about it. Saying that the breed standard still insists on set colours.. shouldn't this change?

For other breeds, surely this should be a wakeup call. Ban colours which are linked to health issues but other colours should be accepted as normal and should not be penalized.

3. Wildmoor

Dilutes are linked to CDA (Liver & Blue GSDs are dilutes) the whites are so inbred on epilepsy lines you can not avoid one that doesnt have recent producers in their recent pedigree so in GSDs (same with blues from lines of blues) all non standards are linked to health problems in the GSD

4. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

My Apple is a X liver GSD

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

White shepherds.. I believe they are allowed elsewhere as the colour is not health related although it's commonly used as an excuse, not backed up in fact.

6. Wildmoor

they are not allowed elsewhere in other countries they are registered as a separate breed, unfortunately in the UK they have a bad reputation due to the level of inbreeding on epileptic producers see my original post

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I don't see anything wrong with breeding non-standard colours and I thought it was secondary to type in gsds anyway. BUT only if they're bred ethically and if the breeder isn't selling them for ridiculous money just because they're "rare"

I'm not a fan of the english type of gsd anyway they look too heavy and too short legged.

8. Wildmoor

trouble is those breeders who breed for colour are not ethical they do it for money only, dilutes should not be bred from, its different an odd dilute cropping up in a litter but to continually breed dilutes to dilutes is done for one reason only

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice