Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A food memory from childhood

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jopetportraits, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jopetportraits

jopetportraits PetForums VIP

A bit of a random topic but mine is luncheon meat salad for Saturday tea whilst Dad was watching the wrestling on tv.:eek: What's yours?

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

Home made sassage rolls and apple crumble on my mums day off she was a great cook lol

3. toria

toria PetForums Senior

Oooh definatly round at my nana's on a sunday...she used to let us much on the lamb bone when she had taken all the meat off...all home made food my nana would have rather been poked in the eye than have freezer stuff,in fact i dont think nana even had a freezer :D

Another favourite was Pomegranite's...nana used to half one for me & my brother ....used to sit outside with a needle picking them all out.

Great great memories :)

4. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

erm, i dont really remember things from my childhood.

One is 'potted dog' sarnies...my mum used to make me these everyday without fail cause i didnt like any other sarnie filling.

The other one is having a mahoosive arguement with a friend of mine, so as payback he put jelly and whipped cream in my horse riding boots. when i stormed out his house and put my shoes on it went everywhere!

5. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Anything my Grandad cooked cos he cooked proper comfort food :)

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Corned beef sarnies (where you had to scrape all the jelly off first),
    plus my fav meal which was 'dogs dinner'!! (so called coz I chopped up my sausages, and mixed them all up with my mashed potato and fried eggs making abit of a dogs dinner out of it!!LOL:D)

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

oh wow where to begin...

Haslet salad or haslet sarnies pretty much every saturday night for a while :thumbdown:
    Honey roast ham dinner with loads of cheese sauce :tongue_smilie:
    best of all, cream horns, custard slices, chocolate eclairs and apple turnovers when my mother was in one of her baking moods :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

8. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Beefburgers grilled then marinated in onion gravy before being reheated. My mum did this when she was working so when I came home from school, I could just reheat the burgers for tea with some spuds and peas. Yup, I was a latchkey kid.

9. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

i use to love rissoles scouse an pea whack soup :D

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

My mams homemade chips, cooked in lard:D then wrapped in greasproof paper and newspaper....then i would sit on the front door step eating them:D:D

11. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

my mum use to do homemade chips in lard lovely :)

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Most of mine are from my Nan as she was big on comfort food (lived on custard creams for the last 2 years of her life i swear :D)

Knickerbockerglories and banana splits on our annual trip to Gorleston
    Oxtail Soup and a special bread roll from the bakers for BREAKFAST :eek:
    Buttered Crusts - this involved thinly sliving small pieces of crust off of the loaf and then smothering in real butter and a big chunk of cheddar :D My poor ole grandad never got a sandwich with any crusts on when i visited
    My nans Mince and onions :)
    Tinned fruit and nestle thick condensed milk :)

Oh my aching waistline :cryin:

13. Coliflower cheese with a crusty cheesey top.

Spam sandwich

Boiled eggs mashed up in salad cream

The smell of cabbage (no wonder I have no issues with company farting)

14. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Ooooooooooo Pilchards on toast for Sunday tea (has to be Pilchards NOT sardines !!)

15. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

mashed potato mixed with tomato sauce :blink: :blink::D

16. Sunday evenings at my Mums, everyone used to come round for tea, which consisted of seafood, various meats (including spam - bleeerrrrrk) and bagels. With Jelly and Cream for sweet. Really loved my Sundays as a kid and it carried on right until my Mum and Dad split up when I was about 26!

I also remember my Dad getting me hot sausage in crusty roll on the way to school in the winter mornings sometimes (as a special treat).

17. oh yeah,forgot that :tongue_smilie:

Gonna have that soon, good for you to :001_smile:

18. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Ham and pea soup yukky, stew with lentils another yukky, cooked sunday dinner with BROAD BEANS OR BUTTER BEANS a double wammy of yukky, I use to ask my mum for a glass of water and eat the beans like pills, she used to make us eat everything on our plate and we couldnt get down from the table until our plate was empty....I hate them damn things.

19. Tinned salmon mashed with pepper and vinigar sandwich,maybe cucumber if mum was flush

20. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

We used to have instant smash with Tomato Soup when we was camping, gotta love the 70s :D

I realised recently it was ALL about the fact it had to be Pilchards NOT sardines and i have it quite often now :) Mashed in a bowl with some vinegar first :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice