Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A few shots from new camera

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by wind1, Aug 16, 2017.

1. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Most of those are great aren't they?

You have the same problem that I have sometimes with a couple, the foreground is in focus and the subject slightly out :D

wind1 likes this.
  3. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I have a lot of practising to do to get photo's like yours! I'm enjoying the practise though.

rona likes this.
  4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Oh I don't know, some of those are well on par and I don't take good ones all the time. At least half are junked ;)

wind1 likes this.
  5. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

P1020199_50%.jpg

P1020200_50%.jpg

P1020353_50%.jpg

One of my resident frogs. P1020429_50%.jpg

#5 wind1, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Valanita, Charity, ameliajane and 2 others like this.
  6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

He's a nice frog :)

As Rona said, apart from the odd focus problem, those are great. Are you enjoying getting to know the camera?

wind1 and rona like this.
  7. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I'm loving my new camera. Which of the pictures are not in focus, I know which ones I think they are but it would be good to know what you can see. When I'm trying to focus close up, I get a small green square pops up on the object but quite often the square is off to the left (never to the right) and no matter how much I zoom in and out to try and focus on the object I want it still pops up to the side. I still take the photo and it usually looks ok. Do you know why this would happen?

8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

To my eyes, the crow and the dragonfly are a little out. The crow not much - but it does stand out when you have something like the eye to look at.

You need to investigate AF modes on the camera. At the moment, your autofocus points are jumping around and focusing on what the camera thinks you want to be focused on, not what you want to focus on.

There should be somewhere you can change to a single focusing point (usually the centre point) which is a lot easier to force it to focus on something. You don't need the object to be central in the frame, focus centrally, half press the shutter to focus (I think - it should be the same as other cameras), recompose then fully press.

I've also read that your camera has something called 'Pinpoint' focusing - is that correct? It looks like it's a mechanism that allows you to zoom into the pic to check focus before you take it.

Good luck :)

wind1 likes this.
  9. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Thank you, it's so much easier to understand when someone who knows explains it. The manual is just pages and pages of confusing info to me at the moment!

So, I have looked at the AF modes. I have had it set on AFS but reading the manual I'm thinking for insects/pets etc I should set it to AFF. I then have a setting for 'Switching [AF MODE]'. This has many options and I have been set at '49-Area', should I set this to '1-Area'? This is also where the pinpoint focus is but that can only be set when the camera is in Custom mode. It doesn't let me set it to pinpoint in A mode which is what I now use most of the time.

I've now changed the position of the AF area. I must have at some point moved it when fiddling about and that's why my green box is not central but off to the left. I have now centralised it.

#9 wind1, Aug 24, 2017
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Try the 1-area and see if it gives you what you need. I have a lot of AF points on my 80D and it can be a little overwhelming when the camera is quickly jumping from one spot to the other.

I think I saw something about using a manual mode for Pinpoint so I wouldn't worry about that for now. Probably something you can explore in the future.

wind1 likes this.
  11. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Thank you again. You've been very helpful. I'll be back no doubt!

Here's a shot of a tortoise with her tongue out!

P1020453_50%.jpg

#11 wind1, Aug 24, 2017
    Valanita, Charity, rona and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice