Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A few raw questions!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hope everyone doing alright!

Seb had to visit the vets the morning to start his vacs again (because of an infection last time that prevented him getting his second injection) and the Vet said she was very happy with him and he was doing very well although she said he is starting to put on a bit of a belly! This came as a surprise to me - looking at him now I guess I can kind of see it but I have been told by various sources to give kittens as much raw as they want to eat. I don't leave food out for him all the time but I top up his plate till he walks away for his mealtimes (4 times a day). Should I be regulating his intake this early? He is only 16 weeks old - the last time I weighed him a few days ago he weighed just under 2 kilos.

I'm especially surprised because Seb doesn't eat nearly as much as some other kittens who I have heard - he manages probably about 150 grams of raw a day - we play with him constantly and he's very active so I am slightly surprised!

Also - I did end up mentioning to the vet that Seb was being fed raw and whilst she didn't disapprove, she did mention that there is significant risk with raw re salmonella and other bacterial infections. I had previously brushed this aside but some papers that I read today have made me start questioning whether raw really is safe, even if it is nutritionally sound.

For people who do feed raw at the moment - I've been feeding seb chicken only and have tried him with a few chunks of pork to see if they're alright with him. When making batches using meat like pork, or beef ,what do you use for bone content? Do you use bone meal or add a chicken carcass to the mix?

(also completely unrelated... but when should we start to think about neutering? Is it likely to become a problem if our vet isn't neutering at the moment?)

Sorry for the long post - can send pics if people want to see my boy in return!

Thanks!

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I think you need to post picture first. Payment in advance:D

LeArthur likes this.
  3. Seb_the_Siamese

cheeky!!
    But if you insist, I guess you can have some! (Although now there BETTER BE ANSWERS!! )
    upload_2020-6-22_17-21-31.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-22_17-21-49.jpeg

If any of you are on Instagram he’s got his own page! @Seb_the_Siamese (same as here haha)

chillminx likes this.
  4. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I think a 16 week old kitten should be allowed to eat as much as he wants. Kittens tend to go through phases when they are a bit chubby and phases when they are more lanky (as well as phases when they stuff their faces non stop and phases when they eat a bit less). I wouldn’t personally worry and I wouldn’t limit his food.

Most vets are wary of, or downright opposed to, raw feeding. There are some risks and I think vets feel obliged to point them out, but they aren’t always the most knowledgable about feline nutrition and most don’t know much about raw feeding. To be fair, I think it is easy to get it wrong with raw if you aren’t careful so I suspect part of their attitude stems from clients thinking they can just feed some meat chunks and that’s it, without any thought to composition and making sure it’s a complete food.

My vet (fairly new to me) wasn’t keen on my feeding raw, and gave me some information about the risks, but recently she has had to grudgingly admit that Mosi is looking good on it. When she first saw him he was very unwell and had lost weight but when he went back and had gained weight plus his fur was in great condition, she had to admit he was doing well on it and has started to grudgingly offer advice about what proteins to feed etc.

I think the best thing is to let them know that you are aware that there can be some risks, but that you are making sure that you are well informed and able to minimise any risk. Sometimes you have to just agree to differ and not discuss what you feed.

5. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I had Arthur neutered when he was about 4 or 5 months old. It would have been earlier but he had to be dropped off at a certain time in the morning and I was unable to do that for a while.

Get him neutered ASAP!

For bone content I used a whole chicken once (it was messy and long - never again!), thighs/drumsticks and also eggshell powder (but I don't think that's suitable for all the time).

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Seb's a gorgeous boy @Seb_the_Siamese . You really must post more photos of him.

Not qualified to advise you as I only feed a little raw (supermarket bought) with Felini.

When my vet told me Ollie had a slight underhang, like you I posted on here and was told all cats have a primordial pouch;).
    I don't know if that's what your boy has.

It's advisable to get him neutered asap, before he starts spraying! Oriental breeds mature much faster than most other breeds

7. Seb_the_Siamese

That pouch may just be it! I can definitely see that - although the vet said she could feel some extra covering over his ribs so I'll think ill give him some time before I start to think about limiting food to any degree.

I completely forgot to ask the vet about neutering - with corona all we see of the vet is two minutes before and after so maybe It would be a good idea to write things down before I go! Hes got his second vaccination in two weeks time so I think ill ask the vet then and see what they say.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

When I'm not using pre-mixes I use egg shell for calcium. I feed prey model once a week. Muscle meat, 10% liver , taurine, and egg shell. The rest of the week I rotate with two pre-mixes (meat completers)

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese

Seb really is a stunning fellow isn't he?! :)

You may be interested to read veterinary feline nutritionist Dr Lisa Pierson's views on raw feeding. She has decided that 'semi-cooked' meat is the right way to go in terms of reducing the bacterial load of raw meat. She explains in this article :--

https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/#Raw

Seb_the_Siamese and lorilu like this.
  10. Seb_the_Siamese

Thanks - I'll have a look, looks interesting!
    I should mention - part of the issue is that I'm only home for under half the year (I'm only turning 20 this year, so I'm at uni) and the burden for taking care of Sebs food will fall mostly on my dad, both of my parents work full time. Between other restrictions, the convenience of canned foods is definitely a bonus.

I will make sure to post pictures of Seb on here more often! He seems to be a hit haha!

chillminx likes this.
  11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese if you want him to eat some raw, could you not include a commercial raw into his rotation?
    All your dad would have to do is order it in, and remember to put out a portion to defrost the night before!
    I see Luna & Me recommended a lot

chillminx likes this.
  12. Terri Lowe

Terri Lowe PetForums Newbie

Oh Seb is goooorgeous!

For a kitten I think chicken necks without skin (they have to have the thyroid removed but in the UK butchers do this already) or chicken wing tops for bone. I read you shouldn't feed kittens egg shell as part of the bone content but bone meal is good.

And with regards to the salmonella etc, cats have very short intestines and a very acidic stomach which is good at dealing with bacteria of this kind. I would avoid feeding mince as that has a higher surface area and higher potential bacteria load, but even then, I know some people that regularly use minced beef /pork from aldi with no problems. But I've decided to steer clear of supermarket mince. Cats will also generally steer clear if the meat is off or can't be eaten. I've yet to hear anything about a cat getting food poisoning from raw - as long as you stick to good food hygiene prep as you would when preparing your own meat then it will be fine.

Feeding raw food is the most nutritionally ideal for your cat. Cooking kills the nutrients such as taurine which is why so many supplements and additives are added to cooked canned food. If you are unsure, I'd definitely order a premade raw instead. https://www.naturaw.co.uk/ is a great place to start and worked out cheaper in the UK than purrform for me.

Hope this helps x

13. Terri Lowe

Terri Lowe PetForums Newbie

Oops I meant chicken wing TIPS for bone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice