Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A few questions...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mini cactus, May 29, 2010.

1. mini cactus

mini cactus PetForums Junior

Good Morning!

Hope all pets and people are well:D

Wanted to ask about whats best.

1) Best litter. We have used stones in the past, OH was saying the clumping stuff gets stuck in their paws and then there is mess everywhere?.. Is that right?

2) Best food.

3) Best place for bed and cat tree.

4) Was thinking of bringing home two kittens (DK DREAM I think OH has sorted something out for the other kitten:D) , he just adores him!
    is it best to bring that at the same time so none feel worried about a new kitten. One is 8 weeks one is 10 or 11 weeks.

5) Places.
    After my thread on best place for litter tray I found that I don't have a laundry room or cellar.. Hall ways are straight from the front door and it would be in the way.. there is only the kitchen left but wanted to move it from there.

6) Best flea and worm treatment

7) Is it ok to have the kids (2 and 6 months) around the kittens in the same room?

8) Best way to introduce them to the house and people

I think thats it! Sorry for it being long.
    *choccy bar for anyone that help me:p* :lol:

thank you!!! :thumbup:

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi, a few answers to your questions and hopefully helpful too :)
    1) litter; most litter clings to paws and 'tracks' not just the clumping sort I'm afraid. I use Oko Plus but it is quite expensive and clumping. Catsan is non clumping and good, I've used that in the past.
    2) food: to start with feed the kittens what they have been having and change it gradually. A high meat content is best - minimum 40% the higher the better. Feline Fayre (black tins or pouches) is very good and reasonably priced (Asda sell it) Hi-Life and Natures Menu are good too. Keep away from Whiskas (only 4% meat and goodness only knows what else)
    3) bed, somewhere quiet. tree: lounge?
    4) two kittens: yes bring them both home together.
    5) litter tray: bathroom?
    6) flea and worm treatment: do not buy over the counter from a petshop eg Bob Martin, Shirleys, etc. ask your vet
    7)kids: strict supervision at all times!
    8) introductions: slowly. Keep them in one room initially and let them gradually explore their new home. make sure they know where the litter tray is. let them have somewhere quiet where they can escape to. let them come to you for attention.
    Hope that's helpful :)

3. mini cactus

thank you soooooooo much this was fab!

one question... if the litter is in the bathroom how will they get upstairs? The doors are all open most of the time but it might be far for them??

good idea though. Can I pull this off!?

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

kittens are very good at getting upstairs but you might need somewhere downstairs for them too for now as they can still get caught short when they're young. Difficult with small children around too - I know my grand-children were always interested in litter trays when they were younger :eek: Could you tuck a closed tray behind a sofa or somewhere like that out of the way?
    The kittens will still need to be introduced to each other too - try rubbing them all over with a blanket each and then swapping the blankets round or rubbing a little talcum powder into their fur so that they both smell the same. There may be some hissing and spitting to start with but I'm sure they will settle together quickly.

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Good Morning!

Hope all pets and people are well:D

Wanted to ask about whats best.

1) Best litter. We have used stones in the past, OH was saying the clumping stuff gets stuck in their paws and then there is mess everywhere?.. Is that right? I use plain old clay litter

2) Best food. I give a holistic dry food as one of my cats has an allergy and we are currently trying to find out what it is, but I would say one with a high meat content

3) Best place for bed and cat tree.

I currently have beds beside my bed, in the living room x 2 and both cat trees are located beside windows so the cats can view outside from high up.

4) Was thinking of bringing home two kittens (DK DREAM I think OH has sorted something out for the other kitten:D) , he just adores him!
    is it best to bring that at the same time so none feel worried about a new kitten. One is 8 weeks one is 10 or 11 weeks.

I'd yes bring them home, I think the early they meet the better off they will get along.

5) Places.
    After my thread on best place for litter tray I found that I don't have a laundry room or cellar.. Hall ways are straight from the front door and it would be in the way.. there is only the kitchen left but wanted to move it from there.

Mine our located in the main floor hallway as there is not much traffic there. I also have one in my room

6) Best flea and worm treatment

I leave this to the vet, once a year.

7) Is it ok to have the kids (2 and 6 months) around the kittens in the same room?

I'd say yes with supervision

8) Best way to introduce them to the house and people

Not to sure if there is a correct way

I think thats it! Sorry for it being long.
    *choccy bar for anyone that help me:p* :lol:

thank you!!! :thumbup:

6. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

Congrats on getting two kittens, I bet you can't wait!
    As for your questions:
    1) I use Cat's Best Oko Plus - it's wood based, clumping and can be flushed down the toilet. It does track a bit, but it's manageable. If you decide to go for clumping litter, it's worth investing in a tray mat to help keep the tracking as low as possible.
    2) It's best to keep kittens on what they were weaned on - their stomachs can be very sensitive and get upset easily. Then gradually move them to what you want them to eat. I strongly recommend wet food with high meat content (Bozita has 93% meat and no fillers, Feline Fayre and HiLife are also good choices and can be bought in supermarkets).
    3) I like Zooplus - they dispatch the orders quickly and have a good choice of both beds and trees. You might want to look on eBay, too.
    4) I don't think a couple of weeks between bringing the kittens home would make that much difference. While older cats may be a bit territorial when introducing a new pet, kittens usually start getting along just fine very quickly.
    6) I use Panacur paste for deworming. I haven't deflead Loki yet, as he's an indoor cat, so not much experience in this department I'm afraid.
    7) I don't see why not - make sure you supervise them, though.
    8) When you bring them in, put the carrier in a quiet room, open it and let them explore at their own pace. Kittens are inquisitive little things, but some may be shy at first. Don't make too much fuss, just let them get to know their environment and they'll settle in no time :)

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

We also use Oko Plus - it is an economical, clumping litter.

Re food, here is a list of high meat wet complete foods that i had pulled together for a different thread that don't break the bank, which you can start feeding once the kitties have settled in:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat). The blue pouches are treat food - they don't contain any vitamins or minerals to make it a complete food. So only feed occasionally.
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury 49% and Tesco Finest 49% +. The meat versions of Tesco Just Nature contain 60% meat.
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/food-for-your-cat
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market; 62% meat content and 6-10% fat - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

If you want to feed commercial cat food, then I would suggest that you start looking at the ingredients and analysis stuff on the tins/pouches. It really is not hard at all.
    - Does the tin mention how much meat is in it - most high end ones advertise their 'goodness' by the percentage of meat; more crappy ones just list meat and animal by products, without telling you any more.
    - Does it mention grains? These are cheap fillers that are useless to cats (but save the manufacturers some pennies).
    - Does it say that is contains sugars? Now, it is slightly controversial as to whether sugar is or isn't related to cat's dental health but it is used for food consistency/appearance purposes. I personally don't think there is any place for it in good cat food.
    - Does it say that is contains vitamins and minerals? If yes, then it is a complete food; if not, then it is a complementary food that should only be fed as the occasional treat (unless you feed dry, in which case one presumes that the dry contains enough minerals and vitamins to balance it out).

Oh I forgot to say that you can safely ignore the kitten food - that is just commercial wool-pulling. A lot of the high end brands don't do separate kitten food; their food is for cats of all age. Just feed any high quality wet food, and your cat will thank you!

#7 hobbs2004, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. mini cactus

hi,

thanks for the replies! Very helpful indeed!

:thumbup: (love this dude) :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice