Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A few questions and an update:-)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jem29, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We have decided to not rehome Fudge our border terrier, we are going to try and spend more time letting them around the house, mixing with with our cat and the children and see how things go. My husband is working away but I shall look into a dog walker until I feel abit better health wise, and able to walk them myself again. It is going to be hard going on myself given the current circumstances I find myself in but so be it:)

I love them both and noway could I face giving one of them up, it would break our hearts, aswell as theirs. If it means added stress on me then so be it I guess.

I have a few questions.

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed?
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there).
    3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night?
    4) Do they have full run of the house?
    5) Where do they sleep?
    6) What are they fed on and how often?
    7) Do you have children?
    8) How long are they walked for each day?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get more advice to try and help my situation.

Thanks to those of you who were supportive and helpful last night.:)

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 1, cocker spaniel
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there). Ollie used to do this, for up to 6minutes barking none stop. we ignored him and now he hardly barks outside, and if he does, its for a reason and no longer than about 10 barks.
    3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? indoors day and night
    4) Do they have full run of the house? Ollie is kept downstairs, my cat is kept upstairs. they don't get on.
    5) Where do they sleep? in his crate at night, during the day, usually the sofa
    6) What are they fed on and how often? Burns twice a day
    7) Do you have children? my nephews and niece come round my house sometimes
    8) How long are they walked for each day? up to 2 hours a day, split into 2-3 walks

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

1. 5 lhasa apsos ranging from 21 weeks to almost 5 years old
    2. When I hear any of mine barking in the garden, I just go out to them and call them in.
    3. Dogs are indoors mostly, the door is left open in good weather for them to come and go as they please but closed when wet and at night... they ask to go out.
    4. They have full run of the downstairs
    5. They sleep in the kitchen with a baby gate in the doorway.
    6. They are fed on kibble and a mix of either chicken, mince, sardines, hearts, etc and left overs if they're lucky.
    7. I have 1 child but OH has 3 that used to visit quite regular, not so much now.
    8. They don't get walked every day but get a good run whenever it's dry. Either a walk of the prom length and back (3 miles) or a good run over the playing fields... usually half hour to 45 mins plus the walking there and back.. total time 90 mins.

Hope this helps a bit. With the barking indoors, usually when someone visits, I get mine to lay down and make them stay and only open the door when they are quiet. They do bark when the postman pushes letters through sometimes but it's just a bark and they run to see if it's for them :p

4. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? - 1 puppy, Basset hound
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there). - try praise when he is quiet, and ignore when noisey?
    3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? - indoors, in a crate with a big thick comfy mattress :)
    4) Do they have full run of the house? - no, being the breed he is we don't let him do stairs. He has kitchen and front room when we are in. Kitchen only when we are out. always with access to his crate in kitchen. He also has pillow and blankets on floor of front room as he likes to be close to us a lot of the time.
    5) Where do they sleep? - in a crate (shut) at night, no longer than 8 hrs
    6) What are they fed on and how often? - he is now on 2 feeds a day, morning and evening. A mix of dry and wet food.
    7) Do you have children? - no, but Monty has met plenty of different ages when out and about and he is good with them all.
    8) How long are they walked for each day? - we have been told that the best way to work this out is 5 minutes for each month of dog. So ours is 6 months old so gets 30mins walk/run, in the evenings when it is cooler. A trainer and vet both gave us that info as he helps slowly develop dog's legs. Once they are adults, then exercise doesn't need to be limited in this way.

5. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

1)If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 1 dog.A JRT
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there). Is This possibly due to lack of exercise? If maybe so could you play some mental stimulation games in the garden with them? Ball throwing? Hiding smelly treats? A padding pool in the hot weather with some toys to fish out? A kong filled with their food? A long lasting chew? Clicker training? All dogs barks to some extent its natural imo, when mine becomes persistant, I tell him 'Right IN!' and he knows that hes been naughty has to stop or goes inside!!

3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? daytime (if I am in backdoor is ajar always so back and forth when needed) nightimes always indoor
    4) Do they have full run of the house? Yes, always has since house trained

5) Where do they sleep? Sleeps where he wants usually on my bed.

6) What are they fed on and how often? I free feed as my dog has Colitis, tummy problems and at this time of year skin issues to, so this works best. I feed a mixture of Hills I/D, Duck and Rice and Nature Diet.

7) Do you have children? No I don’t. Edit to add, he is brilliant with my Godchildren, children in family. This is through me working hard, teaching them how to behave around him. I'd still never leave them alone together but it's a joy to take them all out together. :)8) How long are they walked for each day? It varies, in total considering all walks each day I would say on average- 2.5 hours- 3.5 hours.

#5 Jackie99, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 1 a german shepherd2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there).
    i tell my mums westie pups "enough" and correct the behaviour when they bark for no reason and then distraction them from the behaviour with a high value treat.
    I also do some OB work and get them to sit... it usually works. If the don't like food i would also distract them with a toy.
    To distract my GSD froma situation where i know she would probably react i make this random clicking noise and she knows everytime i make this noise she gets a treat, so she has every reason to look at me. As a result of moving in a flat in the first floar with my GSD, i taught her ratehr than bark at a noise she should come and get me instead. As a result she might yap once and then run to find me in the house and then back to the door if someone is their. Their has been countless times wher ei have been waiting on a package from the postman and Zara hasn't reacted and as a result i missed the post lol My neighbours also say they do not hear her.

3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? indoors.
    4) Do they have full run of the house? Yes my GSD does always
    5) Where do they sleep? She has a few beds around the house, but when i go to bed she always sleeps in her bed next to my bed.
    6) What are they fed on and how often? she is fed a few times a day on Skinners salmon and rice
    7) Do you have children? I don't, but i do have a neice and nephews and they are taught to behave around the dogs. Their ages are 18 months, 5 and 9. If they dogs get exited around the kids they are corrected or given a time out time in their crates or in another room for a little while until both dog and child calm down, but that rarely happens.
    8) How long are they walked for each day? it varied 1 hour pluss and she also gets some stimulation toys to keep her aqupied as well such as her kong.

#6 GSDlover4ever, Jun 7, 2010
  7. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 3.medium heinz. collie x. Staffy x
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? I always have the radio on outside (my neighbours must hate me) but it helps with mine. And just a firm no usually does the trick if they are persistent.
    3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? Back door is open in the day, so they go out or in, and at night inside.
    4) Do they have full run of the house? Everywhere except for upstairs in the day
    5) Where do they sleep? Upstairs in my room
    6) What are they fed on and how often? Twice a day arden grange and wainwrights
    7) Do you have children? No
    8) How long are they walked for each day? 1-2 hours, on weekends 2-4hours.

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 2 Greyhounds
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there). Not a problem i've had to deal with so will leave the advice to those that have more experience :)
    3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? Kept indoors
    4) Do they have full run of the house? We have a few baby/dog gates and so can shut off the kitchen or access to the hallway/upstairs, while were home they get more of a free run and when were out they get put in the kitchen.
    5) Where do they sleep? In our bedroom, on the landing or if its hot Throp likes to sleep by the front door or on the sofa downstairs.
    6) What are they fed on and how often? Skinners F&T salmon & rice twice a day 7am/7pm
    7) Do you have children? No, we just have nieces/nephews who occasionally visit
    8) How long are they walked for each day? On average probably totals 1-1.5hrs, but they are a low energy breed.

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

2 Chihuahua's, 1 Chi x mini daxie.
    2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside?
    I let mine bark for about 5mins then tell them 'enough' and call them in. Also sometimes when they are being quiet I take some of their kibble from their daily allowance and throw it into the garden. (keps them quiet and occpied for a bit!)
    Toy breeds, so mainly indoors.
    Downstairs only. (cats have sole rights to the upstairs!)
    5) Where do they sleep?
    Kitchen, behind a baby gate.
    Burns kibble am, raw pm (minced meats, chicken wings, eggs, fish,etc).
    7) Do you have children?
    Ewwww!no!;)
    Depends. 30 mins-2hr 30 mins. Try to make sure they get 30mins a day though.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? 2, a jrt x collie/lab and a staff/lab x collie

2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there).if my dogs bark in the garden they are immediately sent to bed. Before we moved we had an enclosed garden and the dogs could not see what whas going on, and Dixie would bark at 'nothing' alot. Telling her enough (her command for barking inside) had no effect. Now we have moved the gardens are open and busier so the dogs can see and hear alot more going on and Dixie hasnt got use to it yet so she does bark, which sets Dave off so they get sent to bed on the first burst of barks

3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? inside most of the time unless its great weather then they have the back door open if I am there or about to watch as they can jump the fence. We are getting a run however so once they stop barking at random stuff they will be in there if I have to go to a couple of shops or whatever.

4) Do they have full run of the house? at the moment yes, although they are not supposed to go in my sons room, he leaves the door open. Once our baby girl is coming home ther will be no dogs up the stairs atall

5) Where do they sleep?they share a bed by the back door

6) What are they fed on and how often?skinners hypoallergenic, dry, once a day

7) Do you have children?an almost 5yo and 7wk (who still in hospital)

8) How long are they walked for each day?anything ranging from nothing, to 3 or 4 walks usually about 20 mins and sometimes an hour or so

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

First off, let me just say that I am so relived to hear that. I bet you wont regret it if we can help you find a way to have everyone settle together :D

Up until a few years ago we had two dogs, Our other one was a GSD. They weren't far apart in age, so I can empathise with you on that. But the only real change to what I described about is that there are two of them. Nothing else was really any different. Obviously though because there were two of them they kept each other company :D Now Bella has to make do with feline company. We would get another pup, but not until I can cope with the toilet training on my own (disabilities mean I wouldn't be able to get up quick enough to catch any accidents at the moment).

One more thing I would like to make a suggestion. You need to find a better relationship with your kids a dogs to get on better. Have you thought about agility classes? Your kids could go with you to watch and take part. Not only will it be great for your dogs to have something to burn off all that excitement, but the kids will also burn off theirs! Hopefully you would be able to return home with tired kids and dogs = peace and quiet :D

#11 Aurelia, Jun 7, 2010
  12. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you all so much for your replies, very interesting to read.

I really hope your little girl is home with you soon xxxx:) She is a sweetie xxx

13. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

3 a doberman a staff and a erman shepard

8) How long are they walked for each day

it varies minimum they are walked is if im ill and thats two hours

2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there).

i'm still tryin to master this myself max barks at anythin

indoor

yes

except for if im out they can't o into bedrooms

5) Where do they sleep?

on my bedroom floor usually

they et fed twice a day

7) Do you have children?

i don't but my partner has 4, a 10 yr old, 6 year old and the twins are 4

14. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you so much for your help, it means alot.

I am looking into getting a dog trainer to maybe come to the house to help me out again, just to see if he/she can sort out the barking and hypo issues with the dog around the home.

We used to take them to agility classes, I may start that again, obviously we stopped when I became unwell etc....

Thank you xx

15. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

What food do you feed your dogs?

Maybe that is the reason why they are hyper?

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

1) If you have dogs, how many do you have and what breed? - Just the one, Heidi is a westie x J russell

2) Any tips on how to prevent Fudge barking when outside? (he barks for no reason, even worse if he hears someone out there). - frowned upon here occasionally but my son and his partner take their dogs to work and were reported for the barking. They got anti bark collars and didnt need them for long

3) Are your dogs indoors or out during the day/night? - indoors day and night
    4) Do they have full run of the house? - no, kitchen/diner/conservatory
    5) Where do they sleep? - on my bed :scared:
    6) What are they fed on and how often? - Skinners salmon and rice. I put down her RDA in the morning and she eats it when she wants

7) Do you have children? -look after 3.5yr old grand daughter 1-3 days a wk
    8) How long are they walked for each day? 1hr minimum

Really pleased you have come to a decision and hope we can all help you a little more if necessary.

17. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I have a few questions.

4. 3 IRW Setters and 1 Irish Wolfhound

Try to work out what it is that sparks the barking off. Praise him when he is quiet. Teach speak and then teach shush (leashed for life might help you there - I'm still working on it) :D

Indoors unless I'm out with them.

No. They have the full run of the downstairs.

5) Where do they sleep?
    They all sleep in seperate rooms in crates. One pup sleeps with daughter. One pup sleeps on the landing outside our bedroom - she gets lonely and is more relaxed if she knows where we are. The adults are in the kitchen and the hall.

They are fed raw food and wainwrights twice a day and some in kongs during the day.

7) Do you have children?
    Yes I have 3 children

Usuall they are walked 2 hour long runs and then a shorter walk during day. At the moment one is on bed rest though.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get more advice to try and help my situation.

Thanks to those of you who were supportive and helpful last night.:)

#17 alaun, Jun 7, 2010
  18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

6 labs ranging in age from 8 months to 7 years

If they bark they get told off, inside or out, I've got one who particularly likes the sound of her own voice :rolleyes: so much so, you would often think I only have one dog, as thankfully the rest are not really barkers

All live indoors, although I do have 2 outdoor kennels which my dogs absolutely adore

No - living room and dining room and kitchen when someone is with them. Upstairs is out of bounds to all but my eldest

5) Where do they sleep?
    Four anywhere they feel like in the two rooms, they have chairs and crates in the dining room (which is 'their' room) - so it could be on the chairs, settee, on the bottom stair, floor, or quite often in the open crates.

2 sleep in crates as they can't yet be trusted not to mangle the house.

All fed twice a day - although timing varies

7) Do you have children?
    Grown up

It varies from a couple of hours at the beach to a few wild runs around the local park or on-lead / on street walking - one of my girls is currently on a strict on-lead exercise regime several times a day, and I can take her with up to three of the others at the same time.

===================================

There is something else to bear in mind about exercise which many don't realise.

Exercise builds stamina - the more exercise the dog has, the more stamina they have and the more exercise they need

Therefore, if you cannot keep up a regime for any period, this can be why dogs end up getting into mischief if their routine changes.

A short training session gives the dogs a challenge to use it's mind - which can be far more effective at wearing them out than a two hour trek around the streets.

All mine have a training session every day, up to and including the 7 year old, sometimes it might be one to one, other times it can be any combination from 2 to all of them.

====================

In addition, high protein foods and foods with additives can also have a negative effect on some dog's behaviour - so worth looking at.

19. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

All working type dogs. 4 cocker spaniels, 4 springer spaniels, 2 labradors, 1 english setter and a patterdale terrier.

A short and sharp AH or a rattle or spray gun (water spray bottle) as a deterrent.

Majority are outdoors as working dogs and live in kennels. The two that are indoors stay in the kitchen.

Nope Kitchen and outside only. Luckily both are large so lots of room for the two indoor dogs.

5) Where do they sleep?

Kennel blocks, or in the kitchen

Tripe and CSJ working dog biscuits. Twice a day once in the morning once at night

7) Do you have children?

Well I am only 16 and have had many many dogs over my life span. Firm training and effort is required for dogs to behave and children to behave around dogs.

Gundogs are worked for 4 hours a day, pets are walked 2 hours a day at seperate intervals.

I have a Patterdale a descendant of the Border terrier. Most terriers in general are hardy and keen to get on in the action and if there is none create their own. This is why you should know and have known from day one to be on top of him. Not too tough, a little leeway. With terriers it is very much of give an inch take a mile. Firmness consistancy and persistance and patience are key to getting him on track, as with any dog to be honest. With terriers i find the best way to achieve their co-operation is by making training sessions and activites fun. It's no good just shouting out them or hard disipline, as nine times out of ten they'll look and you and go "Yeah and what mate?" If you keep their attention on you keep yourself interesting and stimualting, he will be more than easy to train, as Border terriers i find are quite an easy going terrier out of the lot. Stimulation all the time is key, lots of toys or something to do as their little minds are constantly working. Have you ever thought of jogging or cycling with them? Great little companion dogs for that and it wears them out a treat. When it cool at night i take my terrier on my bike for a jog for about half an hour and she loves it. Keeps her fit and she sleeps when she gets home.
    As for your children winding him up, i'm afraid this is not to do with the dogs reaction. Your children should understand when the time is to play and when they time is to stop. You can never blame a dog for reacting to a situation.
    Anyway hope it goes well (Y) I may have just waffled then, long day, exams and all :eek:

20. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Just wanted to say thats its wonderfull news u chose to keep fudge and try to work on things and looking for some advice. I give u all respect for giving it a go :)

Ive got 2 dogs, gsd and northern inuit atm

When my dogs bark there is a reason and im sure fudge will have a reason too, might just be that he hears people or things which set him off. If mine bark i say shushhh and they stop and get praise. I used treats for that to show them they get rewarded for not barking.
    Or it might be an idea to give him a kong stuffed with treats in the garden so he doesnt focus on the noises more rather on the kong which would keep him occupied at the same time.

Both of mine are indoors, but if its good weather they are outside for most of the day.

Mine are restricted to downstair and only upstairs on permission as we have 2 cats which need their private space as cobi would annoy them to the point the cats would get fed up lol

Both of mine sleep in their own crate, in their own rooms lol One in the living room, the other in the "dining room" ...

I feed mine arden grange twice per day and additionaly meat, veggies and leftover from dinners

I dont have kids and they are walked for about 2 hrs per day mostlyt off lead, and also have free run of the garden and sometimes the field next to it which is massive lol

hope it helps a bit.... :) i also remember we had a little border terrier at the training which was a handfull and they are little active dogs, she did agility too :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice