Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Few questions about my new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elise.x, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Hi, Well i picked up our kitten today and just have a few queries :D

He hasnt used the litter tray at all since ive brought him home (about 6 hours now)hes confined to just the front room so I keep on checking everywhere in case hes gone else where:rolleyes: but he hasnt, i keep on putting him in, but he just jumps straight back out, does this sound normal? i thought he would of used it by now?

Also, i was told that he eats whiskers and royal canin biscuits and given samples, he wont touch the whiskers, but has been nibbling on the royal canin, my question is, would i be able to just give him the diet of royal canin biscuits, or would he need more at this age? (11 weeks).

Its just ive heard how good royal canin are and i know that whiskers is only 4% meat so would much rather just give him the royal canin, especially if he dosnt really like the whiskers?

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Are the Whiskas wet or dry food? I'd avoid them at all costs. If it is wet then gradually change to something better perhaps.

Also, I don't think my kitten did anything at all for the first day. No poo or wee.

3. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

The whiskers is wet and the royal canin is dry, but hes not touching the whiskers, not suprised it being only 4% meat:D

But should i try him on different wet foods or just stick with dry?

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Well it is up to you & the kitten but if it were my kitten I would hunt out a better wet food. Applaws is 75% meat in it (not a complete so must have a complete to go with it so a complete Royal Canin would be great) or it's called Encore if you shop at Sainsburys. My cat LOVES that. Or you could try Hi Life which is 65% I think (my cat is not a fan for some reason but good amount of meat).

The reason many people bother with wet & dry food diets is that the wet food contains a lot of water that is good for their kidneys. By having both, you can leave out dry when you're at work etc & not worry about it going off.

5. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Thanks Messyhearts, i will go and look up those now and order some to try:D

6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin PetForums Junior

I've gone through loads of wet and dry foods for my 2 kittens and have finally found a nice one that they like!!!! I haven't tried Applaws!!!
    They absolutely love HiLife wet food, and JWB dry!!!! The good thing about JWB is they do quite a few flavours in the dry even for kittens so they dont get bored (which my 2 seem to get very easily!) lol. xx

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya, now he knows where the tray is Id leave him to it, its his first night and he may not even go until tom, keeping him one room is good anyway :)

I feed wet & dry to kits, its up to the owner though :)

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hilife is another good food, I wouldnt worry about him not "going" just yet, he will when he needs to! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice