Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A&E + under 5's = ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by iheartsonic, Apr 13, 2011.

1. iheartsonic

iheartsonic PetForums Senior

Someone told me today that if you take an under 5 to A&E to expect to hear from Social Services as when her daghter was 8 months old (about 20 years ago) she broke her leg falling off a changing table and was hounded by them.

I had to take my 3yr old to A&E Monday afternoon because he pulled a concrete slab that was stood up against the fence down on to his big toe. Luckily he had trainers on but still managed to slice under the toe nail while pulling his own foot out. :eek::eek: Thankfully not broken though. Lucky boy.

The slab has been moved now (tbh I've wanted it moved for months, why it takes cr@p like this to get some people's ar$es in to action I do not know >:[ )

But anyway, should I expect contact? I am happy to talk to them but my friends story of being "hounded by them" has really worried me :(

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Don't want to alarm you, but my sister had several visits when my niece Tilly was about 4 because she fell down the stairs, fractured her wrist and had a black eye as a result. My sister would never hurt her daughter and she didn't have an OH or anything. She got rid of them after a couple of visits as they could see that she was a great mum.

3. shells

shells PetForums VIP

expect a visit from your health visitor definatly as they have to do follow up calls from a+e trips they then will asess weather your story matches what the hospital were told if not social services are called in also if the injuries look susspisious again they call in social services they have craked down big time on these now. hope the lill one is ok :)

4. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I doubt it!

We were in A&E a few times with Luke when he was small, fractured wrist one time and when he bent his finger at a funny angle.... To a weird lump that appeared on his body lol. No visits for us :)

I think it depends if the hospital staff have those alarm bells ringing or not.

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

yes expect at least a call, my sisters little girl pulled a cup of tea over on her leg and my sister was called by a health visitor :rolleyes: suppose they are just doing their job and some kids might be at risk.

6. ClaireLouise

I also doubt it.

My friend worked in a&e and they only request follow up from other services if they think there is anything a miss

7. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I wouldn`t worry too much, toddlers are clumsy and a fair few of them seem to live in A&E with bumps/bruises and cuts from all sorts of scrapes they have been in.
    I think you would have already heard something by now, if the nurses/doctors were suspicious of your sons toe injury, altho, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was a toddler... slab leant agains a fence and I went and pulled it down on my foot !!! so that injury isn`t rare lol

For toddlers to be breaking bones tho, is bit more of a worry as toddlers bones are soft and tend to bend, not break.... so its no wonder a broken bone would cause suspicion and have the social involved for one reason or the other. Especially if the parents can`t explain how it happened or the events sound dodgy,even if true.

Nurses/doctors are just doing their job to report any child to social services, if the injuries they arrive with look suspicious, especially with soo many cases in the media of children going unddetected and ending up losing their lives through authorities not intervening enough.

8. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

Agreed :D you got no need to worry.

9. iheartsonic

We see our health visitor frequently anyway, she's lovely. :) We had to take him back to the nurse at our doctors because the dressing fell off yesterday. It's great social services follow up stuff like this, especially after that baby p stuff. It could save so many little people for all kinds of cruelty. The only cruelty going on in this case though, was the eviction of a snail from his lovely home behind a slab!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: BOYS!!

He is ok, walking on it, running on it even! Complains of pain occasionally but takes his nurofen and carries on :smile:

10. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I doubt it too as my 3 year old niece headbutted the tv cabinet and split her forehead open, they were quizzed a lot about what happened at A & E but they had no follow up visit.

11. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

I had a visit from a health visitor after we visited A&E when we were on holiday 3 hours away from where we live after my daughter knocked a cup of coffee over her, but this was only because it was the 2nd time she had done this (once at her grandparents when I was at work). They were just checking as it was a similar incident and they are just doing their job protecting the children. Social services will usually only visit if they have a concern about the Childs welfare or as others have said, to check that the story/ explanation matches the injury!
    So long as there is a genuine reason And it is a one off incident I wouldn't worry too much. My Children were always clumsy when they were younger and I never had a visit from social services, but I will say I have worked In A&E and there are many cases where it is a must !!!!!!!!

12. iheartsonic

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now. You know, I never had this with my eldest, he is careful, cautious and sensible. The little one though? No sense of danger and throws himself around! Sofa? No mummy, it's not a sofa, it's a PIRATE SHIP! :eek:

At least I can never complain of being bored!

13. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

They have to check sometimes. Some of the tragic cases we see in the news make us wonder why someone didn't do something. It's awful for you if someone comes to check after an accident, but if it does happen they will see your little one is looked after.

My only experience was when I was 17, babysitting my 2 year old brother. He took a tumble in the garden, resulting in a few stitches in his head. (He's an adult now, but it still makes me shudder). The doctor ordered me to take off his clothes then inspected him for other marks. The whole thing made me feel sick and accused - I already felt bad enough for him falling in the first place. But with hindsight ( a wonderful thing, apparently), I think I'd rather they checked.

Easy for me to say now though, not so easy at the time! I'm sure you'd have got an idea from the A&E staff if they thought it was something they should report. If not, they will see he's fine if they come calling.

14. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

We were all a little, um, adventurous as kids. My mum says there was a while were she felt like she was in A&E every week, always feeling accused of beating her kids. Poor Mum, at least she gets pampered now!

15. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

^^^^ yes i was called twice :rolleyes:: and it was your fault :p Also by the time the hospital got to look at it there was no sign of the burn as we had dealt with it quickly and i had a burns gel thing to put on it that worked wonders .

16. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

Well a few stories for you, my youngest who was about 2 at the time, fell and split his head open on our computer desk, needed stitches etc was horrible, they didn't say anything and i didn't hear from anyone.

My friend's little girl was out playing with my boys and my youngest jumped on her in a ball pit and actually fractured her arm, she went to a&e and they asked her loads of questions about how it happened and she told them in a playgroup session etc in a ball pit, 1 nurse asked her all these questions and then left the room and then came back in and said to her "So your daughter did this injury at home you said???

My friend said "no she didn't and i never said she did etc was really horrible as they were blatantly trying to catch her out, my friend is a nurse as well!! :nono:

17. perki888

perki888 PetForums Junior

I doubt it! I have four children ranging from 13 to 3 and have been at A and E with all bar the youngest when they were below 4. Infact with my middle daughter it was like a revolving door as she was so prone to falling lol

Never had a follow up visit. X

18. willa

willa PetForums VIP

My cousins little girl ( age 4) fell off the swing and broke her arm - 4 days later slipped over & broke her other arm !:rolleyes:

They did ask her lots of questions about what happened etc. But nothing else :)

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I think hospitals have to notify a health visitor but if they are repeated incidents then social services have to be involved, while i think this is a very good thing and if it saves childrens lives then how can we argue but i also think there will be mums that dont take their child for something they realy ought too because of the fear of being in trouble.

20. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

I remember when my daughter was about 2 and she suffered a burn - flying frying pan (honest) and one of my concerns was that she wasn't crying and burns flipping well hurt!
    So, I'm sat there, in A&E, saying this to a nurse and she says 'Does it hurt when you hit her?' - whilst driving her hand towards my daughters face! I said, 'no, I've never hit her' but it was Blatantly obvious what she was looking for - a reaction from my daughter!!
    After a few trips over the next week to check the burn - which healed nicely, I never heard anything from them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice