Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A couple of questions re Ozzy....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PembrokeMadhouse, May 28, 2010.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

The vet suggested that Ozzy be chipped when he is neutered at 6 months... I asked why he couldn't be done at the next set of injections and they said the needle was big .... any opnions on this?

Also, when I train Ozzy's recall should I do it on his own or with Meg around to "help" and what is the best way to do this, on long lead or off lead (he has been off lead in the field already (13 weeks today) but tends to "copy" meg so not sure how genuine his recall is....

His potty training has been better today - although still weeing anywhere!

Just trying to book our holiday on the Isle of Wight in July ... was going to camp but for an extra tenner, a lot of the B&Bs will take dogs and cook me breakfast!

C x

2. PembrokeMadhouse

No help with this one?
    Only a few quick questions !

3. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

Re the chipping, Monty was done at 10 weeks. Yes the needle is a bit big, but he didn't react at all, and I just didn't look!

4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Alfie was chipped with his 2nd injection at 10 weeks.I couldn't have waited until 6 months as we needed it for his pet passport-he too didn't react to the needle

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,my vet is doing the microchipping with the second vaccination,so not sure why its been suggested you wait for 6mths?
    With the recall,perhaps do a few sessions with Meg,so pup kind of understands what is required,but do make sure to do some lone training too,as this is when it counts.Having a sound older dog is just the best training tool,your pup will learn from her (my eldest dog teaches all my youngsters!!!),but its also good to teach pup by itself,so you know if youre out just the two of you pup will come back if Meg's not there.
    Keep up with the toilet training,your pup wont be a pup forever,and WILL grow out of it.All the hard work you do now will pay off.It feels like a losing battle sometimes,but in a few months time your pup will be clean! Lots of praise and fuss,and ignore whats done indoors when you dont see.Stock up on bio washing powder/liquid for cleaning.
    But most of all ,enjoy your pup.

6. TORY

TORY PetForums Member

Guide Dog pups are chipped at 6 weeks....:)

7. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

My vet said the same thing, I spoke to him on a general visit and he said as Oozy was a small breed dog it would be nicer for him to wait until he was neutered and have it done at th same time while under the GA as woudnt remember or feel it and I decided after looking ay pics on internet that it was best for my pup, my lad was done this week and had his chip fitted and he never new a thing and im glad, so and this is just my thought if your going to have him neutered soon then do have it done at the same time, these needle is quite big in comparison to a normal one. But saying that lods have it done earlier with no probs, so its personal choice.

:)

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My vet would do it with 2nd jabs but said its possible she will feel discomfort so instead I could have it done with spaying.

Heidi learned her recall at the local nature reserve with other dogs help so I would say keep up what you are doing but refine it a bit with one to one as well.(as already mentioned).

Heidi got the toilet training bit quite quickly but they are all different and whereas she had the odd accident now and then, you will probably find that when Ozzy gets it, that will be it:thumbup:

Oh B and B sounds great, will have to look for a few dog friendly ones :cool:

9. PembrokeMadhouse

The ex-mother i law has said we can stay with them but I might treat myself to a stop over .... don't often do it and there is one for only 30 pound a night, dogs go free, so might be quite nice or very dodgy!:lol:

Had a good day toileting(!) No poo accidents, but a few wee ones .... did some good treat and click of my fingers tonight.... rememberd down from the other night too ...

due his second injection in 2 weeks so I think I will have him chipped then ... given the incident with Nell, I can't take a risk of waiting another 3 months, espedcially with a holiday trip before then.

C x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice