Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A compromise to raw....advice please :)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tara 76, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Tara 76

Tara 76 PetForums Junior

So I have had Dotty for 2 weeks now (she is nearly 14 weeks) and have been feeding dry food. I am a bit of an E number freak and cook a lot from scratch for the kids, and after reading a lot of really informative posts I have come to the conclusion that 'most' (not all, I'm sure) commercial dog food is cack.

The problem is-I just cannot stomach raw or offal :nono: so is there a happy medium? Could I give cooked fresh meat/fish with vegetables? If so, what is the best for a growing pup?

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

This is what I'm looking for , although my dog is a 'senior' and I don't want to over challenge her. Obviously what I feed her might not suit a pup, but she has good quality kibble in the morning and chicken wings 3-4 times a week, cooked white fish or tinned sardines 2x weekly,with brown rice ,and a pouch of JWB wet on evenings I'm in a rush or haven't got anything else handy.
    I'm sure some-one more experienced in puppy nutrition will pass on their wisdom shortly.

3. Tara 76

Tara 76 PetForums Junior

Thanks :) What brand of kibble do you use? I started Dotty on Redmills this morning, but the whole kibble thing feels like a minefield! :confused: Do you just cook the rice as normal? (Sorry if that is a stupid question)

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

There is the homecooked diet but it's alot more complicated as you need to supplement and what not - i feed raw so know not a lot about it.

There are members on here who feed a homecooked diet so hopefully they will be along to help

5. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I don't know an awful lot about home cooked diets for dogs so sorry if I'm a bit vague :eek: but from what I do know, it's apparently pretty difficult and complicated to get the balance "right" compared to how easy raw feeding is. Cooking changes the complete structure of meat, thus altering the vitamin/mineral levels.

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but what about some of the pre-made raws? There's plenty available (I'll come back with some links in a minute) and maybe you could start off with those and gradually move up to more interesting pieces of meat? Wearing rubber/disposable gloves might help?

Unless you're an entire family of vegetarians I'm assuming you must handle raw meat for yourself and your family? It's really no different you know :)

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango is fed on Lily's Kitchen grain free, she likes it and it seems to suit her, she has quite a sensitive gut. The rice I boil as normal in largish quanities, then freeze some so I've usually got some handy.
    I totally agree with you, all the different kibbles available make it very confusing, but I reccommend a read of the sticky - Dry Food Index', it's really helpful.

7. Tara 76

Tara 76 PetForums Junior

8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I am very squeamish - like silly squeamish - you talk to me about a broken bone and I faint - I'm serious it happened at school. But if I can do it, you can do it :) (thats in an encouraging tone btw, not a mean one..)

However mind over matter. With Offal - since it is quite bloody and I do need to separate it as my lot have 1/2lb each and they come in 1lb blocks, I put it in the sink, in a coulinder and let it defrost but at the same time the blood is draining away too, now this is normally the best bit for the dogs but the smell of blood turns my stomach and I scream - literally, like a big girls blouse, if it touches me. So I wash the blood off the offal, I put on either gloves or I get some cutlery and I separate the dogs food out that way.

Everything else is fed frozen unless it's mince in which case I may defrost it from time to time. If I feed them something big that they have for so long until they have had their fill, I use a carrier bag and wrap it back up to go in the freezer.

I cannot stand the sight, smell, nor texture of raw meat and my butcher laughs at me when I grab the odd bag of bones from him as my face is all crinkled up and I'm trying to hold my breath. But you get used to it. In fact I've started eating my steaks Medium as opposed to the Well done I used to have and to cover the blood on the plate I have it with baked beans. Little tricks can help you.

But as Coffee has suggested there are lots of pre-made raw for you to use instead of DIYing it :)

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Having spent my whole working life as a nurse/midwife I can't understand why I'm so sqeamish regarding raw meat, but it really does turn my stomach - specially chicken :confused: I used to examine placentas daily, clean up every type of bodily fluid ( and worse ) then cheerfully eat my lunch - but raw meat, yuk !!
    So the prepared raw meals would really be the way forward for me , I did buy some Natures Menu frozen nuggets to try Tango with and can just about tolerate handling those, though struggling with the chicken wings.

10. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

My friend is vegetarian and feeds chicken wings and stuff frozen.. says it feels less fleshy

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

That's very true, I can handle frozen, but don't really want to feed it frozen to Tango because of the risk to her teeth.

12. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

my two small dogs manage it frozen :)

13. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

and bearing in mind that even Nutriment had blood in it

14. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I cant feed raw either, she gets raw once or twice a week for teeth but someone else gives her it :eek: I feed millies wolfheart dry food, there are loads of brilliant dog foods out there, have a look at the dry and wet dog food index on here they are stickies at the top, there's a food called prize choice which you can find in the freezer section of pets at home it's just meat and you can defrost it and add some veg/potato to it

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My concern is that Tango is getting on ( nearly 10yr old ) and lost several teeth
    just before we got her in January , don't really want to risk losing any more if I can help it. I do bash the chicken wings with a rolling pin to make them easier for her to chew. Yes, I know , precious eh ?

16. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

It's weird what some things can affect us and others can't. Like I can watch movies where people get killed, if it's by shooting - thats fine, if it's by knife then I have to look away. :eek: :shocked:

17. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Oh yes, I forgot about Prize Choice... you can get that from Pets at Home and Best Pets too. It works out slightly more expensive than ordering online but it's handy to know it's there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice