Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A colour question.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, May 8, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What are people's opinions on creating different colours in breeds??
    Just happened upon a video on youtube showing blue, fawn and cream Dobermans playing (cream looked really odd!) and it occurred to me that in the US they breed far more varied colours of many breeds.
    Given that we are often behind the states in alot of things do you think any colour/breed combinations will catch on here??
    I can understand not breeding patterns/colours that cause defects but given how extreme some breeds have become its odd that people are adamant certain colours are wrong whilst breeding dogs that cant even give birth naturally..:rolleyes:

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

some colours are just fazed out because they are not seen as "desirable"

you can get solid white malamutes but no lines in the uk carry the gene as far as i know. although there has never been a problem i think alot of people associate white dogs with health problems, still gorgeous tho ;)

[​IMG]

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The blues and fawns always have bad coats and the albinos have a whole list of health and behavioural problems associated with them.

4. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

I'm always a bit wary of dilute colouring. There are some health problems inherent to those colour dogs (I know of a fawn Dobe with a list of medical problems as long as her leg)

The additional problem is that if someone is breeding specifically for a rare/special colour, they are often (usually) picking parents based primarily on colour, and not on conformation, temperament, ability and suitability.

You see this a LOT in horse breeding, where some of the 'special' coloured horses have really appalling conformation and are basically trainwrecks, but people don't look much beyond the special colour.

#4 ArwenLune, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

I recently saw a US-based kennel selling yellow flatcoats...they looked just odd.

6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Before the advent of shows and kennel clubs, a lot of breeds had more colours than you see now.

Parti colour Poodles have been around for centuries, but the colour is not acceptable n the show ring, and I read that black Boxers were disallowed as some of the early influential breeders fell out with the main breeder of that colour.

I suppose before the advent of dog shows, more dogs were bred for a purpose ( be it a pet or working dog) and colour would have been less important than being able to carry out it's job.

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

There were parti colour poodles at crufts this year

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Were they being shown? I was looking on a poodle club site and they were saying that they would not give advice on parti colours or on crossbreeds so I assumed that partis are not correct.

9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I think they were, there were seven or eight of them in the exercise area outside when we took ours out.
    There was a white dobe shown a couple of years ago and it got placed.

10. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hi there!
    Having owned Dobes for almost 25y, I've always stuck with B&T's, not only because I adore them and naturally associate Dobes with being this colour, but because I stick to what I know. I have met many Browns and a few Blues in my time, but the B&T's say 'Doberman' to me, that's jmo tho, no offence meant to anyone. I have an American Dobe Calendar here which features not only whites/creams, browns, b&t's and blues, but the photography was an absolutely bloody disgrace and I feel the publishers had a bloody cheek selling it. I got it as a gift and wouldn't have parted with the money for it. I thought about contacting the company but felt I may be wasting my time.

Dobermum:)

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Blacks the proper colour for real dobermanns:thumbup:

12. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My first dobe was black and tan.. my second brown... Very rich in colour... You can get Black weimy's but if I am right they aren't registerable or is it they are uncouff,, Sure I have read they are some sort of throw back the same as white boxers.. White boxers used to be culled at birth, Breeders believed they had liver probs in life etc.. Now white boxer are a trend round here.. I could be talking rubbish here..lol

13. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I was told by someone I have great respect for in all Dobermann matters that you never get a brown with a bad temperament and of all the browns I have met I have never seen one.

14. dobermum

Funny you should mention that - we've known two white boxers - both died of brain heamorrages. Beautiful creatures they were too. My god! What a horrible thought to think they were culled at birth!:eek:

Dobermum

15. momentofmadness

Mine had a personality disorder.. It decided it didn't want to get on with my weimy anymore.. Costs me lots of money at the vets and I spent nearly a year finding her a new home.. I have two small kids and couldn't risk them in the middle of a spat as i did.. She went to a lovely guy who had a black and tan and he loves the wild crazy bones out of her.. Although he does say she imediately doesn't like some dogs but likes most.. I had her 2 years and she is 4 now.. He has kept in touch with me ever since he walks her 5 plus miles a day and he reckons thats how he keeps her crazy brain in line.. i loved her to bits but just couldn't afford for me to be bitten again or my kids.. But I do love the crazy critters..

16. dobermum

Hawksport in all my years of being owned by them, and my hubby growing up with them from when he was young, we have come across 1 bad Dobe - he was put to sleep by his owner who was heartbroken, as he turned on her. The vet advised that he had a rogue gene. I often point out to people who look at me as though I have 'monster pets' 'How often do you hear of Doberman attacks?' An amazing breed - proud to be owned by them we are :thumbup:

D

17. momentofmadness

I used to know a breeder of like 30 plus years and he said they were culled cos it wasn't fair for people to pay for an animal and go through the many heart aches a white boxer can bring and oviously the trauma the dog can go through. I used think he was winding me up.. throw backs from bulldogs if Im right.. im no expert.. N most white staffies have black spots on there skin And are sometimes death.. Due to pigmentation or something Sure they have previously had dally in.. Not 100% on that possibly sum1 told me or Ive read it...

18. dobermum

I commend you MOM for sharing your story. I had to re-home one of my bitches. It upset the life of me, but she started to bite holes in her paws (both). I had no idea what was going on, but my lil girl had just started to walk at the time, and when I spoke to the vet, it turns out my poor dog was anxious and stressed. Being a responsibile dogparent, I began to notice how 'strange' she was acting around my lil girl, as opposed to my boy who was glued to my child and NEVER left her for a second - I rehomed her to a lovely family who had just lost their Dobe to Rainbow Bridge. I could not have lived with myself had she did anything to my child/family/pets/friends. I miss her so. I think you did the right thing, especially where your children are concerned.

Best wishes.

Dobermum :)

#18 dobermum, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  19. momentofmadness

I think they are very clever loyal dogs.. they aren't keen on the cold and love all little comforts.. mine had ear fettish.. If I was sat still my had had to be playing with her ears...

20. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Was the weimaraner a girl or boy
    I've known a few blacks that I would be a bit wary of but then I am in contact with quite a few every week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice