Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A cats age

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LeArthur, Nov 2, 2020.

1. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

When we brought Nora home, we were told she was 12 - 18 months old.

Today she has eaten 100g pouch of wet food and about 200g of raw!!! She has always had a healthy appetite, but I think now she's in the house the whole time (and not in her safe room) I realise just how big her appetite is!

Is there anyway to tell how old a cat is? I guess not, but figured some of you might have some old wives tales perhaps :D

2. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I go by looks. A young cat face is more triangular an older cat face is rounder

I love senior kittizens!

LeArthur likes this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Is she a big cat? She may eat more if so. But that seems about what Jack eats on average maybe a little less. Biggles does not eat that much.

From what I have seen, vets tend to go by teeth. Once they are adults, it is a bit of a guessing game. The vet may know she is a young adult but not necessarily what age.

I got a range of ages for my Biggles when adopting him. From 1- 3 when I asked different vets at the shelter & then my own vet. I settled on about 1.5 as what my vet thought & it fit with what the vet on his intake at the shelter thought.

LeArthur likes this.
  4. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

No she's tiny!! Well compared to Arthur anyway! Nora weighs 3.2kg!

5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Oh wow so she is about the same size as Biggles probably. He is just over 3 kilos. He is about the the size of an older kitten.

LeArthur likes this.
  6. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Well my vet said he could age “kitten” “young” “middle aged” and “old”. Lola was guessed at anything between 2 and 5!! (And she’s not telling... coz ladies don’t discuss their age)

LeArthur likes this.
  7. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

I would ask the vets if there is likely to be a medical reason for her eating so much, but if they say she is healthy, then as long as she is happy, that's the main thing. I think some cats eat more than others for no particular reason, like humans do. Or is Nora quite active, and burning off more 'fuel' than Arthur? Or maybe, when she she was a young kitten, before she was taken in by the shelter you got her from, she was left to fend for herself and was hungry a lot of the time. If so, now that she has a regular supply of food, maybe she's taking advantage of the opportunity to eat as much as possible, in case it stops.

LeArthur likes this.
  8. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I did wonder if it was to do with fending for food earlier in life.

Maybe in a few days she'll not eat at all!

9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Years ago I had a rescue girl ( picked up from a car park); she ate me out of house n home for about 18 months before settling down to a normal amount

ewelsh, crystalwitch and LeArthur like this.
  10. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

18 months?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ewelsh and crystalwitch like this.
  11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

18 months:D

Gloria was a very sweet girl. A long haired tabby, with quite a bit of Persian in her.
    She was always a happy girl. If she heard me getting food out, she would come tearing into the kitchen and dance around, prrrrping hopefully.
    If I fed her a treat, her purr would rumble up from the very depths:).
    I lost her to a slow growing tumour in her chest:(

12. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Oh she sounds adorable!

What a sad way to loose her :(

SbanR likes this.
  13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Lottie as you know was dumped as a kitten, she and her sisters were starving. They all used to growl whilst eating, even though each bowl had enough food for 100 kittens. Fast forward 6 yrs, Lottie still eats every last morsel plus licks the bowl, so I don’t think she has ever forgotten those hunger days.

#13 ewelsh, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  14. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Oh bless her little heart! I can imagine it's a very difficult thing to forget.

15. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Andre’s a weird one... he never really asks for food (although if Lola starts asking he’ll join her). But when food is down... the speed at which he eats is incredible... it’s like he’s been starved!!! Although he’s long legged and sort of lean to touch him he’s get better bone coverage than Lola. Lola hides her true nature under all the fluff

H x

LeArthur likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice