Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

a bunny is for life not just for easter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mstori, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

been a bit shocked at the amount of bunnies being advertised as easter presents..

as far as i know this is still running:

Make Mine Chocolate!

Rabbits are a familiar symbol of the Easter holiday. In the days leading up to it, they appear on television commercials and packages of candy, and stores are filled with stuffed rabbits. It is no surprise that children beg their parents for a bunny of their own. Ill-prepared to care for these unique creatures, their "owners" often quickly tire of them. In the months following Easter, local humane societies and rabbit rescues are flooded with rabbits, former Easter gifts whose "owners" no longer want them. The unlucky ones are dumped outside where predators, cars, illness, and injury virtually guarantee an early death.

In 2002, in an attempt to address the problem, the Columbus House Rabbit Society began a campaign to educate the public on the realities of living with a rabbit, and to discourage giving live rabbits as Easter gifts. Using ceramic pins in the form of chocolate bunnies as the symbol, the campaign's goal is to spread the message that rabbits should not be casually acquired and to educate the public about the special needs of these often-fragile creatures. The pins serve as conversation starters. Comments about the pin provide the wearer the opportunity to share our message with the general public. These informal conversations are supported by a card that is distributed with each pin, and by business cards that can be handed out to interested parties. Both the pin card and the business card list important facts that should be considered before bringing a rabbit into the home. Our goal is to educate the public of the challenges of properly caring for rabbits and to encourage them to purchase chocolate Easter bunnies (or stuffed toy animals) rather than live rabbits.

2. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I'm shocked too, I'd never heard of rabbits being given as Easter presents. That's just crazy.

Our neighbour's daughter visits her Mum every week and was just asking us if we knew anyone who would like a rabbit. Her daughter found one in a crate abandoned on the subway. :( Expensive crate and well cared for rabbit, they put up ads, but just couldn't find the owners and can't take care of it themselves as they have too many pets.

3. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

I know a few people who have bought tiny baby bunnies for their kids at Easter, then these tiny cuddly balls of fluff grow into big kicking nipping scratching furballs and suddenly a dog or a cat seems better :(

hope the bunny your neighbours daughter found gets a happy new home. I have 4 myself and maybe taking 5 in to foster. so sad :( x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice