Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Bone to Pick

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ryandern, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ryandern

ryandern PetForums Newbie

Hello! I have a 2 yr old aussie cattle dog (heeler) named Laura Dern. I have been feeding him prepared raw patties from a variety of brands since he was 3 months old. We live in Toronto Ontario Canada. Recently he got a section of cow vertebra stuck in his lower esophagus which was causing him tremendous pain and required a $7500 surgery to remove it. We are currently at the end of week 1 of his recovery and he's doing SO WELL! Almost lost him there. In the process of finding out what was wrong with him initially, through x-rays, we discovered he had a bunch of bone material (from the crushed bones in his prepared patties) lingering in his stomach which was causing constipation and discomfort that was happening at the same time as the bone stuck in his esophagus. Needless to say I'm now EXTREMELY averse to feeding him ANY bone material that is not soft ground powder. My question is; where do we go from here? Can I feed him a raw patty that doesn't have bone in it and augment with bone powder or ground egg shells? I don't really want to make all of his meals myself mostly due to time constraints but will if necessary. Anyone have experience or feelings in the same vein? I can't simply go back to feeding him the same raw patties I was before on good conscience. I should note that I am currently making him meatballs with potato and cooked ground beef and hand feeding four times a day preceded by a suspension liquid that coats to protect his esophagus while it heals. Also the raw patties that I was buying for him were top quality meat of varying species and with varying composition of vegetables and supplements. Help! Also maybe we need a larger conversation about how much bone is REALLY required in a raw diet. He was having problems with constipation from bone content before this incident happened. I have the overwhelming thought that there is simply too much ground bone in prepared raw food patties.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I don't raw feed but know the problem of constipation from dogs eating raw bone. I thought i had this solved when i first started feeding raw knuckle bone as my dog didn't seem to be able to get much of the bone eaten at all.

However, he has now managed to eat knuckle bone and it does turn his poop into rock hard pebbles, very difficult to pass.

Marrowbone seems to have the opposite effect so i balance it that way. My dogs don't have bone all the time though - it's only for a special treat once a month maybe.

I do know that bread is useful as a first aid measure if a dog accidentally comsumes cooked bones that splinter as bread binds the bone and helps protect the insides of the dog from getting damaged as the bones pass through.

I'm afraid that's the limit of my experience and knowledge with raw bones - mine sometimes get turkey neck to eat but i will maybe leave off them after reading about your experience.

Hope your dog is ok and that you get some useful replies

3. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee Banned

I can't really help you with that but I'll be praying for his fast recovery. God bless! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice