UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am getting a Westie pup in 3 weeks she will be 8 weeks old,and although I know you have to take them out in the middle of the night to help with toilet training, I dont know how many times and on what time scale tbh, so any advice would be great.
Thanks Sandra.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I never took Oscar out in the night, he was crate trained and never messed his crate. Obviously at first i would put him to bed about midnight after a wee and poo and get him up about 6am and then gradually increased the time as his bladder control improved.

I wouldn't automatically take them out in the night. I would suggest if you are using a crate a small plastice kidney shaped bed at one end and some newspaper down the other and see how the toileting goes to start with :).

G

·
I would offer the advice of take them out as often as possible like after food, water, sleep and thru the night, its great havin them in the bedroom with u as this encourages good toilet manors so much quicker, normally u will be woken by ur puppy movin about have them in a nice secure bed in ur bedroom so they cant wonder thru the nite and take her out as and when u feel they may need to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We currently take Oscar out at about 10pm-11pm, then I get up about half three to let him out and then we get up about half 6 (due to the kids waking the dog up lol). He's 14 weeks old now though so going to start lengthening then time we leave him ie getting up at 4am instead of half three, then 4.30am etc x

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi, bet you're excited about your new puppy.

We had Monty when he was 8 weeks old, and we've never taken him out during the night. Took him out about 10pm before we went to bed, then we would get up at 6, which is earlier than our normal time, but seemed too long to leave him longer. There were one or two accidents, but on the whole it worked. Having read a number of threads on here, it would seem that each puppy is different. Why don't you play it by ear for the first few nights. There's no hard and fast rules, some puppies need to go in the night, some seem to be able to hold it a bit longer. If you try all night, and your puppy can't cope, then get up in the early hours, but personally I wouldn;t automatically do it, unless necessary.

Good luck........

·
Registered
522 Posts
When we first got him at 8 weeks old, Basil had his last wee at about 11 and then slept through until about 3am in his crate. He used to whine and cry to be let out for a wee, but he would then go straight back in his crate until about 6.30am. He was in our bedroom with us initially so it was easy to keep an ear out for him.

I think it's too much to expect a tiny pup to go through the night initially...and Basil had stopped asking to go out by the time he was 10 weeks old so I didn't have to get up through the night for too long.

Good luck - you must be very excited - and we all go mad for puppy pics on here, so don't forget to post some when you get a moment!

:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks all for getting back to me so quickly, I still don't really know what to do so i'm going it play it by ear and see how I get on, I am going to be crete training as we were advised that this was a easier way to toilet train. I am taking the kids to visit Holly on tuesday they are so excited ( i must admite i may be more excited than them haha), but untill then I have a few pics of last week when we seen her.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that puppies are all definitely different when it comes to this, we have friend's whose young puppy needed to go out three times in the night whereas we must have got the golden pup as our springer has barked at bedtime twice in the entire time we have had him (and only for about half an hour upon going to bed), never barked in the night to go out and has never had an accident in the night-time.
I think it really does depend but I'm guessing she will let you know, best of luck!

ETA: JUST SAW THE PICS, SHE IS ADORABLE!!

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
I would suggest if you are using a crate a small plastice kidney shaped bed at one end and some newspaper down the other and see how the toileting goes...
hey, rainy! :--)

if the crates large-enuf for a bed at one end, + paper to potty at the other, may i gently suggest the point of a crate is negated -
the idea is that pups avoid voiding in their sleep space, but a crate that large is a puppy-condo ;) i use crates large-enuf for pups to enter, U-turn and exit easily - period. crates are for lying-down to chew or sleep, not pace :lol:

i have always taken pups (mine + clients) out at 3-AM; i set my alarm, hit the bed as soon after 10-pm as possible,
and take the pup out nightly at 3-am until they are about 15-WO.
pups get their bladder + bowel sphincters hooked-up at 12-WO; before that they are on *automatic* - they are full?
THEY * EMPTY - pups under-12-WO can choose *where* to some degree, but not *when*.

i use airline-style crates for their solid bottoms (no leaks) and solid walls + roof - which create more setback + security for pups.
i can park it right by the bed as a bedside table, and put the leash on the roof ;) no fumbling in the dark!
i set my clothes - coat, robe, jacket, WHATEVER the weather requires - out ahead of time, **with** the goody to reward the potty!
on the spot rewards make it simple for the pup to understand what i wanted, and what they did Right! :thumbup:

happy housetraining - see the STICKY, too, hun! :thumbsup:
and go to Dog Star Daily for FREE books to download -
Before U Get Ur Puppy and After...
they are terrific for socialization + teaching a soft-mouth AKA inhibited-bite.

congratulations on the new-addition,
--- terry

·
Registered
267 Posts
if the crates large-enuf for a bed at one end, + paper to potty at the other, may i gently suggest the point of a crate is negated -
the idea is that pups avoid voiding in their sleep space, but a crate that large is a puppy-condo i use crates large-enuf for pups to enter, U-turn and exit easily - period. crates are for lying-down to chew or sleep, not pace
Our Rosie's crate is big enough for her bed, newspaper when she was younger, and her water and food bowl...this has worked just fine for us :thumbup:

The 'text book' way to use a crate is not the only way, and not the best way for everyone's puppy's/dog's circumstances...:)

·
Registered
10,269 Posts

the idea is that pups avoid voiding in their sleep space, but a crate that large is a puppy-condo ;) i use crates large-enuf for pups to enter, U-turn and exit easily - period. crates are for lying-down to chew or sleep, not pace :lol:

i have always taken pups (mine + clients) out at 3-AM; i set my alarm, hit the bed as soon after 10-pm as possible,
and take the pup out nightly at 3-am until they are about 15-WO.
pups get their bladder + bowel sphincters hooked-up at 12-WO; before that they are on *automatic* - they are full?
THEY * EMPTY - pups under-12-WO can choose *where* to some degree, but not *when*.

i use airline-style crates for their solid bottoms (no leaks) and solid walls + roof - which create more setback + security for pups.
i can park it right by the bed as a bedside table, and put the leash on the roof ;) no fumbling in the dark!
i set my clothes - coat, robe, jacket, WHATEVER the weather requires - out ahead of time, **with** the goody to reward the potty!
on the spot rewards make it simple for the pup to understand what i wanted, and what they did Right! :thumbup:

happy housetraining - see the STICKY, too, hun! :thumbsup:
and go to Dog Star Daily for FREE books to download -
Before U Get Ur Puppy and After...
they are terrific for socialization + teaching a soft-mouth AKA inhibited-bite.

congratulations on the new-addition,
--- terry
The general advice is to buy a crate for the adult size of the dog which when they are pups allows for a bed area plus water bowl and corner if they do toilet so they aren't sleeping in their own mess. This is why i recommend the plastic kidney shaped bed because it's easy to clean and remove the smell if there are any accidents and clearly defines the areas.

As i said Oscar never messed his crate so i took the paper out after 2 nights.

As someone has said i think it very much depends on the pup and wether they can hold themselves but i don't think you should assume they can't go through the night , they might suprise you :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi thanks all for getting back to me so quickly, I still don't really know what to do so i'm going it play it by ear and see how I get on, I am going to be crete training as we were advised that this was a easier way to toilet train. I am taking the kids to visit Holly on tuesday they are so excited ( i must admite i may be more excited than them haha), but untill then I have a few pics of last week when we seen her.
she is sooooooooooo cute! we have a boy westie called radley. he is nearly 10 weeks old now.
i came on here for advise on night time routine and the guys on here were really helpful. radley hasnt had an accident for 2 weeks now, we dont get up and take him out, his last 'toiletting' is about 10pm then we are up at 6ish, sometimes before to take him out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the advice, i'm so excited and also nervous about getting her, I don't want to get things wrong so it confuses her :( . I guess what works for one pup may not work for anothers, I know that the breeder already has paper in with all the pups so hopefully they might get used to it. I was also wondering if it does help to bring the scent of the litter and mum home on a blanket or something or is it just something people say to do? xx

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
From my experience, your puppy will let you know when she needs to go out! (Whining etc)
think about what that means - **distress!**
if U *wait* till the pup is crying, the situation is BEYOND *urgent* -
by the time U get out of bed, dress, shoes on, and grab the pup, it may all be over except the clean-up...
and please remember that ALL potty-errors are Human Errors, not the pups fault!
roll-up a nice solid magazine, and beat Ur own butt beet-red so sitting-down is a cautious slow-motion act. :thumbsup:
then vow Never to do that again :lol:

an alarm at a pre-set time *should* get U up + out while the pup is still safely below urgency -
CARRYING the puppy helps shut-off the waterworks, just as it does when their dam would carry a pup.
put the leash on, carry the pup *Briskly!* outside, set the puppy in an area where they have toileted before, and *wait*.
99.99% of the time, Success! :thumbup:

using crying / barking as a cue for potty?
bad idea...
if crying opens the crate, that IMO + IME creates future problems -
if it works at 3-am, it SHOULD work at 3-pm... when U are at the grocery-store.
it can lay the foundation for full-blown sep-anx later, or just teach the pup to bark/cry when something is wanted, or denied them.
and no-one did this but Urself - U shot Ur own foot, in terms of teaching a bad lesson.

IME, if U teach a pup to raise H*** to get the door open, U sow a bad-seed, and U will regret it enormously later.
don;t break it, and U don;t have to fix it... ;)
cheers,
--- terry

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
bold added -

The general advice is to buy a crate for the adult size of the dog which when they are pups allows for a bed area plus water bowl and corner if they do toilet so they aren't sleeping in their own mess. This is why i recommend the plastic kidney shaped bed because it's easy to clean and remove the smell if there are any accidents and clearly defines the areas.
it is also suggested that if the size of the pup is that much smaller than their future adult-size, U block-off part of the crate
to leave a sleeping space only - a clean empty cardboard-box does the trick nicely.

i have never given pups water during the night, as they have always had water on offer all day.
for pups not yet housetrained, i lift water at approx 7-pm, LAST potty at 10-pm, bedtime immediately,
up at 3-am to potty pup, back to bed in 10-mins or less, sleep till 7-am, up to potty.

no mess, no errors, no potty indoors. :thumbup: happy human, happy puppy. :)
cheers,
--- terry

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
I was also wondering if it does help to bring the scent of the litter and mum home on a blanket or something or is it just something people say to do? xx
paper-training just means something to UN-Learn later - i;d skip it. ;)

yes, a security-blanket does help! :thumbup:
so does DAP, Dog-Appeasing Pheromone, the pump-spray is very versatile + handy -
it mimics the pheromone (not a scent) produced by lactating bitches - its a CNS calmative, slows dogs pulse, drops BP, etc.
see post #22 of the dog body-language sticky for more info on DAP + other calmatives.

betcha can't wait... :D
--- terry

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Never crate trained Penny....I wanted to start as I ment to go on even if it did mean a little more work, no paper either because I didn't want her thinking it was the norm to pee on the evening papers.....I put penny out at regular intervals....this trained me into knowing when she needed to pee and poo....they don't even know they need it till 12 to 16 weeks(? )anyway so the firstcouple of months is more about training yourself with the timing of the pup....Penny went out in the garden every 15 mins wen i first got her home and every 2 hrs in the night even if she didnt need to go, maybe a little too much but i was learning. Eventually she started to go sit at the back door and look at me we she wanted to go...now the weather is better the back door is open all the time anyway so no probs.
Clare xx

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
it is also suggested that if the size of the pup is that much smaller than their future adult-size, U block-off part of the crate
to leave a sleeping space only - a clean empty cardboard-box does the trick nicely.

i have never given pups water during the night, as they have always had water on offer all day.
for pups not yet housetrained, i lift water at approx 7-pm, LAST potty at 10-pm, bedtime immediately,
up at 3-am to potty pup, back to bed in 10-mins or less, sleep till 7-am, up to potty.

no mess, no errors, no potty indoors. :thumbup: happy human, happy puppy. :)
cheers,
--- terry
yes i have heard about reducing the size of the crate, we didn't need to but i would have tried that if he had messed in his crate, i never put water in for him either but we got him in the winter so i didn't feel it was necessary, i would think they would need some in the hotter summer months though :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
paper-training just means something to UN-Learn later - i;d skip it. ;)

yes, a security-blanket does help! :thumbup:
so does DAP, Dog-Appeasing Pheromone, the pump-spray is very versatile + handy -
it mimics the pheromone (not a scent) produced by lactating bitches - its a CNS calmative, slows dogs pulse, drops BP, etc.
see post #22 of the dog body-language sticky for more info on DAP + other calmatives.

betcha can't wait... :D
--- terry
thanks for that, I bought a sheepskin ball today and thought that i can give that to the breeder as i thought that it would be something that Holly could cwtch up to, would that still work? or should I buy a little blanket?. I have never heard of DAP sounds like a good idea though, but everytime you spray it, it would give a strong scent rather than with the blanket the scent fading away over time :confused::. I really can't wait it feels like such a long time till we bring her home :frown: and I was the one telling the kids we have a long time to wait so try not to get so excited, yet I am bursting inside :lol:
....Sandra xx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.