UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's dog is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting in and out of the car. She has bought a ramp for him but he appears to be petrified of it.

I have suggested she start by laying it flat on the ground and tempting him with treats to walk along it and then raising it up gradually.

Does anyone have any other/better suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My sister's dog is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting in and out of the car. She has bought a ramp for him but he appears to be petrified of it.

I have suggested she start by laying it flat on the ground and tempting him with treats to walk along it and then raising it up gradually.

Does anyone have any other/better suggestions?

Thanks.
Think the best idea as regards to getting him used to the ramp is the one you have suggested, putting it on the ground and ignoring it, and if he approaches and becomes curious, praising and rewarding, then trying to get him to step on to it on the floor, getting him to stand on it, walk along it, then may be put it in situ and reapeat all the stages again. Breaking it down and doing each stage and building up until you can get him to walk up it.

Only other suggestion is my Malamute is a hefty lump and will jump out but not in the car, but he will stand there and I do half and half, lift his front half and then he will stand with his front legs and then I pick up the rear legs and put them in. However it wont help with the getting down again, unless at first she could put him in that way, and work on getting him to come out down the ramp first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.